T Nation

High Protein Supplements

As I posted in other areas on T-Nation, I am a gastric bypass patient and have recently lost 120 lbs (from 325 to 205). I lost a lot of fat but I lost a hell of a lot of muscle. I’ve been trying to fix that now for the past six months.

My stomach is the size of a golf ball and I’ve found difficult in trying to get the proper amount of protein. I’ve been told to shoot for around 350 grams of protein a day. Do you guys think that’s correct? Also, if you do the math that’s a hell of a lot of protein shakes a day.

What are the highest protein shakes out and about? Preferably ones that are somewhat tasty, as some I’ve taken I had to gag down.

Also, are there protein capsules that I could take throughout the day?

Any suggestions are welcome and I thank you in advance for your guidance.

Biotest Low-Carb Grow! is the best smelling, best tasting, best quality protein supplement I have ever tried.

As for 350g of protein per day… that seems like too much to me, especially with the size of your stomach. I am no expert, though.

Here is the standard reply you will get on this site:
Grow! and Surge. Taste great, high quality protein. If you mix them with water, they should not fill you up too much.

As for protein pills, I honestly have never heard of any high quality ones.

With a stomach that small I’m thinking you would have to eat or drink continuously to get the amount of food you are looking for. Are you running the risk of gaining back the weight you lost?

[quote]Wolfen wrote:

What are the highest protein shakes out and about? Preferably ones that are somewhat tasty, as some I’ve taken I had to gag down.
[/quote]
Just a note here: don’t fall for the numbers scam when it comes to protein supplements. This is when protein supplements start to compete to see who can claim the most protein in one of their shakes.

You know how they get more protein into a shake? They make the scoop bigger. That’s it. So go for a high quality blend of proteins, avoid soy, and make sure it tastes good. But don’t pick it based on the number of grams of protein in a serving. Anyone can toss a bigger scoop into the canister and claim “more protein.”

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll check those supplements out!

Bikemike, I do plan on gaining weight back but I plan for it to be all muscle and I still want to lose body fat.

Don’t you guys have a per 100g column on everything in America? We do in Oz. What twit doesn’t look at the grams the panel is talking about.