T Nation

High Protein, Squats = Bad?

Sorry,
I just read this in another post and it was confirmed. Basically, someone said that High protein diets caused liver damager and that squats were awful for knees.

I had thought that high protein was fine, as long as I kept my water intake up. Also, I thought squats were fine as long as I kept above or at the parallel. Can someone help me out on this?

JF

Someone also said the sky is falling, you better run for cover.

Parallel or below actually. Ill let someone else yell at you.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Parallel or below actually. Ill let someone else yell at you.[/quote]

I know that parallel or below is best for strength. However, I had ACL and cartilage work done on my knee. He said that below the parallel I was putting 90% of the stress on 10% of the cartilage. In other words, if I wanted ot redamage my cartilage, go below the parallel.

If this information is wrong, please correct me with some references. I would LOVE to go below parallel again.

JF

[quote]LillGuy001 wrote:
Someone also said the sky is falling, you better run for cover.[/quote]

LOL… Thanks :slight_smile: I needed that.

JF

[quote]Jesus_Freak wrote:
John S. wrote:

I know that parallel or below is best for strength. However, I had ACL and cartilage work done on my knee. He said that below the parallel I was putting 90% of the stress on 10% of the cartilage. In other words, if I wanted ot redamage my cartilage, go below the parallel.

If this information is wrong, please correct me with some references. I would LOVE to go below parallel again.

JF[/quote]

Here’s a link to the Bulletprook Knees article by the mobility master himself, Mike Robertson. Enjoy…

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1127149

I had thought that high protein was fine, as long as I kept my water intake up. Also, I thought squats were fine as long as I kept above or at the parallel. Can someone help me out on this?

JF[/quote]

You are correct. You’ll also need to eat fiberous foods on a higher protein diet.

Squats are only bad for your knees if you do not perform them right.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Squats are only bad for your knees if you do not perform them right.
[/quote]

Or have a preexisting injury/condition that makes squatting HURT cause pain or is a detriment to the preexisting condition.

Go slow lower the loads and feel things out

Phill

Someone sent me an article that “proved” that “high” protien diets are very unhealthy, at least that’s what he title said. If you took teh time to actually read the article and the quoted studies, it stated that eating very high doses of individual amino acids, while neglecting other amino acids could cause problems in some individuals.

Of course, who would ingest an enormous load of only one amino acid anyways? If you are eating good quality protien sources and using good quanlity protien supplements that would be impossible.

You have to be very careful how you interpret the results of any study, and especially careful how the press misrepresents a given studies results and how those erroneous interpretations suddenly become folklore and then gospel according to most trainers and often the AMA and government agencies as well.

In my left knee I have a 3-year old ACL replacement, most of my lateral meniscus removed years ago, and osteoarthritis. In other words, my knee is f*cked.

But I still, with the key thing being proper form, squat below parallel. I just use less weight than I would be able to with a healthy knee. I’m okay with that.

It was me, and I was being sarcastic.

I hope the OP knew that…

[quote]n3wb wrote:

I hope the OP knew that…[/quote]

Sorry about that …
I am just extremely conscious about both my knees. I get nervous sometimes.

JF

If you eat enough carbs and fats then you don’t need to worry about a high protein diet’s side effects. Worry about high protein diets when you’re driving a dog-sled through the north pole and all you have to eat is seal meat.

Squats won’t be any worse for your joints than any other physical activity as long as you go deep enough to transfer the weight from your knees to your hips. I really don’t think leg pressing is bad for your knees either.

For some reason I think a lot of people shold be smacked right in the mouth.

I’ve high protein diets kill your body, I guess I better be ready to die of liver failure.

I’ve heard lots of studies say that there is no correlation between lots of protein and dying kidneys and liver. But then again, I’ve heard lots of people say that if you hit your hand enough against something hard, you’ll be able to punch right through a brick with ease. Too bad… I’ve seen lots of people walking around with bloody bruised stumps on teh end of their arms.

[quote]n3wb wrote:

I hope the OP knew that…[/quote]

yeah i was about to tell the OP that it was a person being sarcastic but you got here first.

Are these squats also low carb? If so where can I get some?

-chris

The knee was designed so that you can walk, run, squat down and pick things up. If you can’t squat then something is definitely wrong. If you damaged a part of your knee then more than likely you damaged your ability to walk, run, and squat down and pick things up.

To rebuild your knee you need to work it back to being able to do those things if it is possible. With your damage I believe it is possible, the only problem is now it is a very sensative process. You need to apply enough stress to adapt the muscles and tendons, but not to fast as to stop the healing process. There are a billion conflicting articles on what not to do with the knee, what this tells me is no one has mastered it

To Sum it up being able to squat is natural and healthy and ok for your knee when done properly.

High protein says nothing by itself. If you eat alot, you eat high protein carb and fat. If you are talking about things like atkins diets, simplified versions of these diets are bad for you. I’ve seen people who read parts of these diets then go out eat steak every morning noon and night. This is unhealthy. Please notice that these are High protein diets. Not eat only protein diets.

There is a ton of information out there, unfortunately people tend to read the first paragraph, when taken in parts this information can be very very harmful.

John S. wrote:

JF[/quote]

I had my ACL one about 4 years ago. Front squatting ass to grass has really helped. I make sure I do not bounce on the bottom.

It is a biological fact that if you eat more protein then your body requires it can be hard on your liver.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
DanErickson wrote:
It is a biological fact that if you eat more protein then your body requires it can be hard on your liver.

“Hard” does NOT mean “harmful” though. Deamination does not entail hepatic damage, its simply a function of the liver.

[/quote]

Thank you for your polite response. I was expecting to get insulted for that comment.
I did a search for “Deamination”, cool stuff.
Thanks again.