T Nation

High Protein! Low Budget?

Just a little tip for any of the people out there who may not yet pay for their own meats and things like that. Don’t buy pre-cut steaks unless you’re looking for something specific. You can find very nice cuts sold as roasts (usually 4-5 pounds of meat) and cut the steaks yourself at home. It takes about 5 minutes to slice and bag them, just freeze it. I’ve seen as much as a 5 dollar per pound difference in price for identical cuts.

Shop smart and save some money!

and MAN UP. Aint no better shake, than a TUNA SHake.

I wonder if i still have that video… after gulping it down i said “bro, it taste like your girlfriend”.

Buy a quarter cow, save even more.

I was about to make a thread on this.
So ill just hijack this.

What’s with the different types of protein (whey, soy). Do they all “work”?
Are all protein powders made the same…etc

I’m a total newb at this. Help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
I was about to make a thread on this.
So ill just hijack this.

What’s with the different types of protein (whey, soy). Do they all “work”?
Are all protein powders made the same…etc

I’m a total newb at this. Help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

A lot of your questions are covered in http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=460792.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
I was about to make a thread on this.
So ill just hijack this.

What’s with the different types of protein (whey, soy). Do they all “work”?
Are all protein powders made the same…etc

I’m a total newb at this. Help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

In the end they all basically do the same thing with small differences. The big difference is the amount of time they take to digest. This is a question you can do a lot of research both here and anywhere else online.

Gerdy

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
Buy a quarter cow, save even more.[/quote]

ahahaha…easy for you to say, with a mountain full of a T-man’s “ambrosia” in your avatar

Salmon works,too. Walmart’s got em cheap.

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
Buy a quarter cow, save even more.[/quote]

do you get things shipped to BC? I thought it was only the states (your avatar)

Actually I haven’t bought a quarter cow, unless you count that time…oh nevermind, the point is it can be done if you have freezer space. Find a few friends and split the order, that way it should fit in your fridge’s freezer.

That is empties, the box with the fresh order is buried below. I had help from two roommates and one of their girlfriends to kill all that MD. If that is your ratio of booze to protein empties, you are doing just fine.

[quote]
do you get things shipped to BC? I thought it was only the states (your avatar)[/quote]

I live 30km from the border and have an account at a package receiving/mailbox place 400m on the other side of customs at the Peace Arch. If there is a 20 minute or more wait in car, I park and walk across. My buddy does the same thing in Sarnia and crosses the bridge to pick up his order. I declare the shipment and pay the 5% GST and in less than ten minutes am on my way home.

Lets get back to the topic at hand, protein on the cheap:

-eggs: buy in bulk at farmers market
-meat: look for special, chicken legs, drumsticks, and thighs are often cheap, as pointed out, roasts are usually a great deal for the same or a similar piece of meat
-fish: sardines, they have all the healthy fat and vitamin D content as other oily coldwater fish plus 20% of calcium intake in one tin, when it goes on sale load up, water packed is way to go, you can cook them with spices and olive oil, as you can with tuna
-dairy: you can make your own yogurt from milk and a little yogurt from a high end plain unadultered yogurt (this way you can buy a little yogurt and a gallon of milk and get a gallon of yogurt, have you priced quality yogurt, this is way cheaper, but a bit involved)

Alright thanks guys.

edit:

All that article told me is to be careful.
It still didnt answer alot of my questions :frowning:

Umm, all proteins work.

The protein scale just shows how readily/fast the protein is absorbed. And avoid Soy.

I mean, if they all worked in different ways, food loggers would have to separate proteins into “Fish, Beef, Poultry, Eggs… Soy…”

In essence, all meats have the “complete spectrum” of amino acids; while plant sources don’t.

Am i gona get flamed for over-Simplifying?

[quote]tayjeremy wrote:
Umm, all proteins work.

The protein scale just shows how readily/fast the protein is absorbed. And avoid Soy.

I mean, if they all worked in different ways, food loggers would have to separate proteins into “Fish, Beef, Poultry, Eggs… Soy…”

In essence, all meats have the “complete spectrum” of amino acids; while plant sources don’t.

Am i gona get flamed for over-Simplifying? [/quote]

No but that much is obvious.
I’d like some more “insider” info. What type of companies to avoid.
Is weider ok when it comes to protein?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
tayjeremy wrote:
Umm, all proteins work.

The protein scale just shows how readily/fast the protein is absorbed. And avoid Soy.

I mean, if they all worked in different ways, food loggers would have to separate proteins into “Fish, Beef, Poultry, Eggs… Soy…”

In essence, all meats have the “complete spectrum” of amino acids; while plant sources don’t.

Am i gona get flamed for over-Simplifying?

No but that much is obvious.
I’d like some more “insider” info. What type of companies to avoid.
Is weider ok when it comes to protein? [/quote]

when you are asking if certain brands are okay your just going to get different opinions. there are very few companies that actually lie about what they put in their products and they get shut down. Best bet is to buy a protein and try it, buy a different one and compare. find out what you like the best and stick with it. If you are looking for more info on protein I’m sure you can find a whole myriad of information on the web.

Gerdy

Ohh is that what you meant?

Well Everyone here is a Biotest Whore.

I’m just jealous cause i cant get it from where i am. =(

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
Buy a quarter cow, save even more.[/quote]

Or Bison…
there is a guy that sells Bison meat up by Prince George. My parents ordered one last year. Worked out to $3 something a lb… that is the animal… cut up… and shipped

Wow, that’s pretty cheap. I picked up some bison on sale for about 6.79/lb. the other day. It was really good.

its cheaper when you buy the whole animal… ahha
now that I think about it though… it might have been $3 a lb for the animal… that includes skin… bones… organs and whatever else…
It still works out a hell of alot cheaper then buying beef in the stores and is much healthier.