T Nation

High Protein Cookies

Anyone made those? and do you really need 3 cups of cottage cheese?

[quote]xfrankx wrote:
Anyone made those? and do you really need 3 cups of cottage cheese? [/quote]

I haven’t made them, but I’m going to give it a shot.

Questions though:

What difference is there between turning the rolled oats into flour, and just using Whole Wheat Flour?

I’m also surprised there isn’t some sort of egg product in that mix somewhere.

And there’s that damn cottage cheese again! There’s cottage cheese in everything on this site, which leads me to another question:

It’s not at all uncommon to see anti-milk people around here, but it seems like cottage cheese is the nectar of the gods.

Aren’t milk and cottage cheese pretty damn similar, or am I missing something and making myself look pretty damn retarded? Their nutrition stats are just about identical I thought…

I never made high protein cookies but I once made Cowgirl Cookies(chocolate chips, macadamia nuts, and oats). It’s one of my favorite cookie recipes but I decided to make a batch with Splenda, brown sugar Splenda, and whole-grain or whole wheat flour. It had to be the driest cookie I ever tried to chew.

The lesson learned, trying to make a low GI cookie that tastes good is difficult. If you want to have cookies, eat the real thing.

I’m still curious how protein cookies taste.

Milk and cottage cheese are far apart. Milk has about 1.5 times as many carbs as protein, cottage cheese has over twice as much protein as carbs. And cottage cheese is more concentrated.

I HATE cottage cheese…

(not a big cheese person either)

but milk is no problem.

anything i can use in place of the cottage cheese?

They sound decent. May have to try it.

You might be able to try ricotta cheese, but it falls into the cheese category.

My wife and I have made them several times and we (mostly me) love them. We will make several batches Sunday afternoon while preparing all are other food for the week.

I also don’t care for cottage cheese by itself or with something mix in it. I like the taste, but the texture makes me gag. However, I have found that it does well in a protein shake made in a blender, a few Grow! pudding recipes I have, and in these cookies.

Christopher

[quote]android411 wrote:
I never made high protein cookies but I once made Cowgirl Cookies(chocolate chips, macadamia nuts, and oats). It’s one of my favorite cookie recipes but I decided to make a batch with Splenda, brown sugar Splenda, and whole-grain or whole wheat flour. It had to be the driest cookie I ever tried to chew.

The lesson learned, trying to make a low GI cookie that tastes good is difficult. If you want to have cookies, eat the real thing.

I’m still curious how protein cookies taste.[/quote]

Other recipes we have tried turn out dry, but not this one. They are not the absolute best “cookie” ever, but they are a nice, healthy treat to have throughout the week.

Christopher

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
What difference is there between turning the rolled oats into flour, and just using Whole Wheat Flour?
[/quote]

We have made them with both oat flour and whole wheat flour. Both are good, but we definitely prefer the ones made with oat flour.

Christopher

I dont mind dry cookies, and I love cottage cheese but damn 3 cups of the stuff is a lot a batch of cookies.

[quote]blitzkrg wrote:
I HATE cottage cheese…

(not a big cheese person either)

but milk is no problem.

anything i can use in place of the cottage cheese?[/quote]

I’d be surprised if the cottage cheese was still a negative factor after mixing it into a recipe. My experience is other, more flavorful ingredients (metabolic drive in this case) completely override the cottage cheese. I put at least a cup and a half of cottage cheese in my shakes (3 servings) and don’t even notice it.

I made them tonight they are ok, nothing crazy , adding a little splenda might be a good idea.

I once made protein cake. I had some cheap protein powder from Costco and I threw some in the cake mix. Well, my experiment failed. Cake was kinda dry.

Someone mentioned using whole wheat flour so here is a tip.

If you ever try to doctor a recipe by replacing white flour with whole wheat, the rule is 1 cup white flour = 1 cup whole wheat minus two tablespoons. Otherwise, it will turn out way too dry.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
xfrankx wrote:
Anyone made those? and do you really need 3 cups of cottage cheese?

I haven’t made them, but I’m going to give it a shot.

Questions though:

I’m also surprised there isn’t some sort of egg product in that mix somewhere.

And there’s that damn cottage cheese again! There’s cottage cheese in everything on this site, which leads me to another question:

It’s not at all uncommon to see anti-milk people around here, but it seems like cottage cheese is the nectar of the gods.

Aren’t milk and cottage cheese pretty damn similar, or am I missing something and making myself look pretty damn retarded? Their nutrition stats are just about identical I thought…[/quote]

Oats turned into flour you get the benefits of the oats the soluable fiber etc. and non processed wheat crap. The binding effect of oats is huge as well think gooey oatmeal. Helps hold said cookie together.

Egg well only prob I can see is that would/may cause them to rise quite a bit and the whites would make them even drier than they are now. But hell try a few.

Cottage cheese vs milk. well cottage cheese is from milk its mainly the casien curds seperated from the whey and the sugars/lactose. think Curds and whey cottage cheese being the curds. Low carb high casien content etc.

That help??
Phill

can you use anything besides Metabolic Drive. for instance whey powder or muscle milk powder?

[quote]Serd wrote:
can you use anything besides Metabolic Drive. for instance whey powder or muscle milk powder?[/quote]

Absolutely not, what are you thinking?

J/K

Why not? They’re your cookies. I tried them this morning with vanilla whey protein, they turned out fine, except for the taste. They need Splenda.

ok great thanks. im going to make some as soon as i get some Cottage cheese…

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Questions though:

[/quote] My guess is that rolled oats are much healthier and most people on this site have it in their cabinet.