High or Low Reps for Size?

hey i know both are efective and both have their purpose but what have you guys found best for size gains?

This is one of the most discussed topics in bodybuilding. It wont be any difficult to find Tons of information supporting both of them.

both

and eat

/thread

Whichever gets you into the gym on a consistent basis ready to give it your all and then some is best for you.

There is a interesting table that might answer your question in the third page of this article. But go ahead and read the whole thing.

I think even if you combine many volumes of scientific data and the many volumes of anecdotal data, you wouldn’t be able to definitively say one or the other is better for size.

If one stops working try the other, and agreeing with trav… eat, eat like a fucking gorilla, but only healthy things of course =]

Both. There’s probably other reasons but mainly your body adapts so doing any 1 thing will not get you optimal results. In some video I saw a while ago a bodybuilder was quoted saying anything between 3-15 reps which was about what I thought too. Some may say 1 and 2 reps could be included in that too. You can even benefit in certain exercises like squats by doing 20+. In some article I think on this site a guy with huge legs was said to do lower weight squats counted in minutes, not reps.

Different for everyone. Different people swear by different rep ranges.

on a braod scale it has been touted that 1-4 reps pure strength no size, 4-6 strength little size 6-10 hypertrophy some strength and 10+ endurance some size.

i saw a general model like this anyway.

it really depends, i like to change it up every so often. I find doing some low rep stuff for a bit gives strength to then complete a higher rep cycle.

just experiment mate, but regardless of how many reps, make them good reps!

If you constantly train with low (1-4) reps I think you will severely limit your size gains, but you’ll get strong

Some people grow on 5-8 reps, others need 8-12 so try different things and see what works

Both.

There may be times when you can’t gain doing low reps, so you need to do higher reps for a while, and vice versa.

I think 4-10 is the sweet spot personally.

Personally, coming from strengh sports, I built most of my mass with low reps and a fairly high volume of sets. Later, when I started to enter bodybuilding contests, I started to incorporate higher reps into my routine.

Today I switch phases of higher reps and lower intensities (by means of weight lifted relativ to 1RM) with phases of lower reps and higher weights and more sets every 6 workouts.
But to answer the question what I found best to gain size, sustainable size that is: sets of 3-5 reps for 6 to 10 sets.

cheers guys for comments! i am just followning a simialar template to stair step approach to muscle, and going to mix it up soon! but its my calories i need to up first to be honest but sorting that now

If you aren’t very strong or have troulbe putting on mass then low reps. If you are really strong then high reps.

[quote]dankid wrote:
If you aren’t very strong or have troulbe putting on mass then low reps. If you are really strong then high reps.[/quote]

LOL Wut?

I got “really strong” by keeping my reps often around 4-10. Why do you continue doing this?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
dankid wrote:
If you aren’t very strong or have troulbe putting on mass then low reps. If you are really strong then high reps.

LOL Wut?

I got “really strong” by keeping my reps often around 4-10. Why do you continue doing this?[/quote]

maybe he’s talking about “functional” strength :slight_smile:

OP theres actually a recent article which talks about low rep training from a bodybuilding perspective

[quote]Professor X wrote:
dankid wrote:

LOL Wut?

I got “really strong” by keeping my reps often around 4-10. Why do you continue doing this?[/quote]

That proves my point, you didn’t get really strong by doing 10+ .

EDIT: And its spelled, W-H-A-T. I’d figure a doctor would know this.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Professor X wrote:
dankid wrote:

LOL Wut?

I got “really strong” by keeping my reps often around 4-10. Why do you continue doing this?

That proves my point, you didn’t get really strong by doing 10+ .

EDIT: And its spelled, W-H-A-T. I’d figure a doctor would know this.[/quote]

Dentists are not doctors.

/sarcasm