T Nation

High or Low Bar Squat for Low Back?

Which one puts less stress on the lower back? And can you tell me how>

If your doing either in order to train your lower back your doing them wrong. Stick to Deadlifts but, to answer your question I always feel it more in a high bar due to being somewhat more leaned forward positions in the hole.

I was asking because I injured my lower back while doing the high bar and wanted to know which one causes less stress on

If you have a lower back injury I suggest scrapping the back squat and learning and loving the front squat. Its what I had to do.

Yup front until your lower back is healthy or i also like goblet squats.
A third option is if you have a quality backpack use about 65-80% in the pack, the load should be transferred to your hip and hold about 20-35% in front like a 45 or whatever plate on your chest like when we load up for lower back extensions.
All the best !

[quote]Reed wrote:
If you have a lower back injury I suggest scrapping the back squat and learning and loving the front squat. Its what I had to do.[/quote]

I want to learn the front squat. I heard it’s much more benefit for the athlete, is that true?

I’d have to echo the front squat also. That’s the only version of barbell squat I’ve used for a couple of years. Personally, I wouldn’t do anything with a barbell on my back unless you’ve been cleared to do so. Depending on how you hurt it, maybe no squatting is a good idea now. Of course back squats are most ideal but sometimes life gets in the way and you have make some temporary changes. Make the most of what you’ve got. Believe me, it’s not worth making the injury worse. That stuff will come back to haunt you.

[quote]heyitzaj wrote:
Which one puts less stress on the lower back? And can you tell me how>[/quote]

High bar squats will be easier on your lower back, because you will be more upright and less leaned over.

[quote]heyitzaj wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
If you have a lower back injury I suggest scrapping the back squat and learning and loving the front squat. Its what I had to do.[/quote]
I want to learn the front squat. I heard it’s much more benefit for the athlete, is that true?[/quote]
Depends on the athlete, the sport, and a few other factors, but it’s a big, basic lift worth learning pretty much no matter what.

At 20, you shouldn’t be causing yourself back problems, so train smarter ASAP. I’d use the trap bar or dumbbells until you’re healthy, and then re-examine your program.

Well I’m not injured anymore. And I will try learning the front squats . But which bar placement puts less stress on the back and why

[quote]heyitzaj wrote:
Well I’m not injured anymore. And I will try learning the front squats . But which bar placement puts less stress on the back and why[/quote]

Csulli already answered your question.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]heyitzaj wrote:
Which one puts less stress on the lower back? And can you tell me how>[/quote]

High bar squats will be easier on your lower back, because you will be more upright and less leaned over.[/quote]

this. wider stance low-bar squats are posterior chain dominant.

[quote]heyitzaj wrote:
But which bar placement puts less stress on the back and why[/quote]
The “stress” would be either shearing force or compression based on the loads location to the lumbar spine.