T Nation

High Nitric Oxide Levels Respond to Training?

Hey coach wasn't sure where to post this, but I read that Tibetans and Nepalese that live at altitudes around 13000 feet have adapted to do so by having ~240 times more nitric oxide in their blood than the average person which allows their lungs to relax and widen for blood flow. Since nitric oxide is often used in supplements for getting a greater pump, would these people have an extreme response to strenghth training at a normal altitude?

[quote]Rajeev Jadhav wrote:
Hey coach wasn’t sure where to post this, but I read that Tibetans and Nepalese that live at altitudes around 13000 feet have adapted to do so by having ~240 times more nitric oxide in their blood than the average person which allows their lungs to relax and widen for blood flow. Since nitric oxide is often used in supplements for getting a greater pump, would these people have an extreme response to strenghth training at a normal altitude?
[/quote]

That kinda of hypothetical question is pretty much pointless, I wouldn’t think many of these people are actually interested in moving away to a country that (1) is at sea level (2) puts a high premium on being very muscular (3) where weight training is popular…

My best guess is that it might give them a very small advantage for a short period of time, but the body would adapt.

Thanks for the reply coach, and yea I realized it was a pointless question but I was just curios.