High Kicks

fuck i need to grab a few packs…

I recall a video of a fighter who used an axe kick frequently. He was a white guy with a big black mustache. Anyone know who it is?

[quote]ExcessiveForce wrote:
I recall a video of a fighter who used an axe kick frequently. He was a white guy with a big black mustache. Anyone know who it is?[/quote]

Andy Hug

RIP Andy Hug

His last fight with Cro Cop, a few weeks before he died of leukemia, is legendary.

Yeah Andy Hug was awesome! We have the same best kick! Left Axe kick, thats my KO kick as well!

Correct me if i am wrong, bit Alain has like perfect kicking form right? Swivel on balls of feet and turn hips over? That would break someone in half.

No he doesn’t have perfect form. Yoddecha does though…

Well nobody is going to have perfect form 100% of the time.

Highlight reels are just that, the good bits, they aren’t going to show the times when he sucked! And we all have those!
Some people train more, so their form is better, and sometimes they get it perfect. But it wouldn’t happen all the time.

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:

Yod is an animal!

Seen him fight 3 times and the first time he fought, the guy wouldn’t accept the fight unless it was KB rules only and they were wearing Shin pads.

So Yod accepted.

First round he kicked this guy so hard whilst his guard was up that he went through his gloves, irrespective of shin pads and burst the guys ear drum and knocked him out!

I agree, he has excellent kicking technique.

Our very own local boy Kurt Finlayson recently beat him a few weeks ago in a very tough fight.

Alain’s kicking is a different style altogether. For Muay Thai purposes, yes Yod’s technique is much better. For general purposes Alain seems to be highly adaptable.

These clips involve a kick knockout on the back foot but watch the sweetest spinning reverse elbow ever. I was there and you should of seen the crowds reaction. I still don’t know how Shanon got up from that.

SPINNNING ELBOW AT 1:08 in the fight…and then the head kick at 2:40

[quote]otoko wrote:
The only high kick you could throw without being on the ball of your foot: Brazilian kick. Like Feitosa. Even then you still might come up on the ball of your foot depending on your position.[/quote]

You come up on your toes on a brazilian kick… Actually, you should come up on your toes on all kicks to get proper foot rotation… Front push type kicks usually dont require going on the toes though

[quote]humble wrote:
JonnyTMT wrote:

Yod is an animal!

Seen him fight 3 times and the first time he fought, the guy wouldn’t accept the fight unless it was KB rules only and they were wearing Shin pads.

So Yod accepted.

First round he kicked this guy so hard whilst his guard was up that he went through his gloves, irrespective of shin pads and burst the guys ear drum and knocked him out!

I agree, he has excellent kicking technique.

Our very own local boy Kurt Finlayson recently beat him a few weeks ago in a very tough fight.

Alain’s kicking is a different style altogether. For Muay Thai purposes, yes Yod’s technique is much better. For general purposes Alain seems to be highly adaptable.

These clips involve a kick knockout on the back foot but watch the sweetest spinning reverse elbow ever. I was there and you should of seen the crowds reaction. I still don’t know how Shanon got up from that.

SPINNNING ELBOW AT 1:08 in the fight…and then the head kick at 2:40

[/quote]

Yeah that elbow was perfect, he timed it exactly and came over the top, not from the side that is a mistake alot of people make.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
@hunterkiller you’re joking, right?
Keep in mind kicking against a bag doesn’t necessarily represent your actual technique.
Crocop for example decapitates his victims differently then with the hick he utilzes in the vid.
[/quote]

Fair enough. My 2cents on kicks that high is I’ve never seen them land in anything but an action movie. There might be no “good form” on high kicks, as they will always leave the kicker unbalanced and vulnerable.

Also someone else mentioned that I was insane or trolling or something. I was comparing them to roundhouse kicks, which is a different kick that involves turning of the hips and keeping the foot planted (unless I have learned wrong).

In the event that I am wrong go ahead and call me stupid and I wont bring up kicking on this forum again.

[quote]capoeiraguy wrote:
otoko wrote:
The only high kick you could throw without being on the ball of your foot: Brazilian kick. Like Feitosa. Even then you still might come up on the ball of your foot depending on your position.

You come up on your toes on a brazilian kick… Actually, you should come up on your toes on all kicks to get proper foot rotation… Front push type kicks usually dont require going on the toes though[/quote]

My statement is qualified though with depending on your position. Because your supporting foot is facing the opposite direction of your opponent when thrown the kick going through it’s target comes after your supporting foot is in postion. Unlike a regular high kick where you are rotating and bringing your leg across at the same time.

For a guy like Filho who sometimes did throw a sidekick or back spin kick his supporting foot was already in position to throw a brazilian kick afterwards. Thus sometimes not needing to go on the ball of his foot.

[quote]otoko wrote:
capoeiraguy wrote:
otoko wrote:
The only high kick you could throw without being on the ball of your foot: Brazilian kick. Like Feitosa. Even then you still might come up on the ball of your foot depending on your position.

You come up on your toes on a brazilian kick… Actually, you should come up on your toes on all kicks to get proper foot rotation… Front push type kicks usually dont require going on the toes though

My statement is qualified though with depending on your position. Because your supporting foot is facing the opposite direction of your opponent when thrown the kick going through it’s target comes after your supporting foot is in postion. Unlike a regular high kick where you are rotating and bringing your leg across at the same time.

For a guy like Filho who sometimes did throw a sidekick or back spin kick his supporting foot was already in position to throw a brazilian kick afterwards. Thus sometimes not needing to go on the ball of his foot. [/quote]

Hmm, Im not sure I understand the first part of your response… If you’re talking specifically about the brazilian kick, in my experience (and use) you would suddenly rotate and kick at the same time since it’s a feinting type of kick… but I agree that your position plays a part in wether you have to rotate or not. If you have to step first or are throwing kicks in combination, you always put your foot in position…no need to rotate…

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Keep in mind kicking against a bag doesn’t necessarily represent your actual technique.
Crocop for example decapitates his victims differently then with the hick he utilzes in the vid.

Also someone else mentioned that I was insane or trolling or something. I was comparing them to roundhouse kicks, which is a different kick that involves turning of the hips and keeping the foot planted (unless I have learned wrong).

In the event that I am wrong go ahead and call me stupid and I wont bring up kicking on this forum again. [/quote]

Man…if you don’t rotate your base foot doing round kicks, you’re going to destroy your knee one day…

Let’s not kid around here anymore, practically every roundhouse kick relies on rotation, and that is done on the ball of the foot. You may not see it always, cause it’s often just a slight balancing issue.
There are some exceptions like the one otoko mentioned, but these are more spontanous improvisations.
I.e. a guy practicing his “brazilian kick” against pads will have most (80%+) of his weight balanced on the ball of his standing foot.

Also: You can front kick with your supporting foot flat on the ground, but that’s not recommended, especially with high front kicks.

otoko wrote:
capoeiraguy wrote:
otoko wrote:

For a guy like Filho who sometimes did throw a sidekick or back spin kick his supporting foot was already in position to throw a brazilian kick afterwards. Thus sometimes not needing to go on the ball of his foot.

Hmm, Im not sure I understand the first part of your response… If you’re talking specifically about the brazilian kick, in my experience (and use) you would suddenly rotate and kick at the same time since it’s a feinting type of kick… but I agree that your position plays a part in wether you have to rotate or not. If you have to step first or are throwing kicks in combination, you always put your foot in position…no need to rotate…
[/quote]

I agree with you. I was just trying to bring up the only example I know where you could throw a high kick with little or no rotation on the ball of your foot.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Let’s not kid around here anymore, practically every roundhouse kick relies on rotation, and that is done on the ball of the foot. You may not see it always, cause it’s often just a slight balancing issue.
There are some exceptions like the one otoko mentioned, but these are more spontanous improvisations.
I.e. a guy practicing his “brazilian kick” against pads will have most (80%+) of his weight balanced on the ball of his standing foot.

Also: You can front kick with your supporting foot flat on the ground, but that’s not recommended, especially with high front kicks.[/quote]

Sorry dude, but for front kicks (teeps), your supporting foot should be flat on the ground and ideally pointing in a 90 degree angle to the side. This gives you a solid base so you can push forward with the hips.

HunterKiller wrote:
Schwarzfahrer wrote:

In the event that I am wrong go ahead and call me stupid and I wont bring up kicking on this forum again.

Man…if you don’t rotate your base foot doing round kicks, you’re going to destroy your knee one day…[/quote]

There are guys from karate backgrounds and some european kickboxing gyms who plant their foot when throwing low kicks and middle kicks. The degree to which they rotate is usually less than what a muay thai guy would deem correct.

I think you are right in general about the knee issue. Though there are some exceptions out there.

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
Schwarzfahrer wrote:

Also: You can front kick with your supporting foot flat on the ground, but that’s not recommended, especially with high front kicks.

Sorry dude, but for front kicks (teeps), your supporting foot should be flat on the ground and ideally pointing in a 90 degree angle to the side. This gives you a solid base so you can push forward with the hips.
[/quote]

For a teep that is right.

I am not sure exactly what Schawarzfahrer is referring to but it might not be a teep. Like a front kick from the back leg to someones face.

Though this discussion is giving me flashbacks of a thread I read a while back on another forum. Somebody posted that Mirko’s body kick was weak because he didn’t throw it Thai style. I do think that the muay thai style probably generates the most power in general. Though there are guys who are effective and hard kickers who don’t throw them that way. I can throw both ways. Probably the thai way is more intuitive for the majority of people. And as mentioned less wear on the knees.