T Nation

High Intensity Training

The sad fact is…I will probably buy Dr. Darden’s new book.

On another note, additional to my other comments, another issue I have with HIT is once you have the ability to training extremely intensely it takes too long to recover. It is almost impossible to go to complete failure and lift 48 hours later and improve on the previous workout. Lifting this way, I can barely move a few days later.

[quote]slotan wrote:

It is a short interval anyways. I’m not trying to discredit your hard work and goals, but from a purely logical perspective, I’m saying that it is wrong to conclude that if something worked for 5 weeks than it will continue to work indefinetely. It is because many other factors come into play.[/quote]

I’m not saying it will work indefinetly either. He wanted to know if HIT would work, and from what I have seen, it has so far for me. I was just giving my opinion. From a logical perspective, after reading Dardens book, he made a lot of sense. I found out that yes, at 6 days a week, 2 hours a day, I was overtraining. It was slowing down my growth.

Just as there is no HVT per se, there is different versions of HIT as I have come to learn. Metzners version, is very different from Dradens. The HVT I was following came straight from Arnolds Encyclopida of Modern Bodybuilding. Its a great refernce source, I won’t disagree. But as a training guideline, its lacking. I learned long ago BB mags are for 18 year old kids who have excess cash, crazy ideas, and less attention span then it takes to read a thread on this site

[quote]slotan wrote:This isn’t my first post here, you know :slight_smile: I have detailed my bad expiriences with HIT multiple times on this site. Just google “slotan HIT” :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I will do just that. I am at least glad you documented it, rather than just saying, blah it sucks.

Thanks, Vinny

Hey Guys,

I didn’t mean to open a can of worms regarding HIT. I started my routine last week and so far it has kicked my butt. I will probably do this program for six weeks and go back to a more traditional weight training program. I’ll post my workout this week. If anyone feels inclined to send me pointers or advise, please do.

Thanks for all the feedback.

[quote]Bishop40 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I didn’t mean to open a can of worms regarding HIT. I started my routine last week and so far it has kicked my butt. I will probably do this program for six weeks and go back to a more traditional weight training program. I’ll post my workout this week. If anyone feels inclined to send me pointers or advise, please do.

Thanks for all the feedback. [/quote]

Can’t go fishing without the worms, man. :wink:

Have you considered taking a week of light training instead of switching after 6 weeks? An active recovery week, basically, and then hitting the weights again after?