T Nation

High Intensity Training with Limited Equipment?

Hello Paul,
I apologize for my english not perfect, not my first language.

I am in very rough point of my life, literary everything is falling a part. I also don’t have a job at the moment and the only thing that keeps me away from depression is training.

I can’t afford gym membership at the moment, so I train in somewhat public “gym” in the open. Good thing about this is also that when I train I am in the nature and that feels great and helps me to stay positive.
Bad thing is that I am very limited with possibility to engage weights and machines and I would like to incorporate the type of training with low volume/high intensity like you advocate in your recent work and in the topic of main driver of muscle.

My only goal is maximum hypertrophy. I am natural, 41 yo, with few years of lifting experience. I have run many programs, but noticed that probably low volume/high intensity works best for me.
In this public “gym” in the open I have available:
All devices for “street workout” type of training + some tree trunks posted as lumberjack device + some barbells with fixed weight (car tyres and concrete weight) and I have dumbbels at home.
So basically I can do:
pull ups
dips
push ups with handles
lateral with dumbbels
chest flies with dumbbels
shoulder press with lumberjack type
lumberjack squat (fixed weight)
lumberjack RDL (fixed weight)
lumberjack rows (2 devices so basically ligher and heavier)
Barbells that are available I can use only one(fixed weight), as other are way too heavy or damaged.

Frequency and volume I can figure myself as I studied everything in the topic but how to structure workout with equipment that is available and not to overlap muscle groups and how to progress in these circumstances?
Does intensifying techniques like rest-pause have a sense with stuff like dips and pull ups?
Thank you very much for your help :slight_smile:
s.

I used rest/pause with chins and dips the whole time I did DC training so yes, it’s perfectly fine to use those with db rest/pause.

Clearly you can add lunges and I don’t know what the fixed weight is for the lumberjack squat and RDL but you’ll end up with no choice there other than the push the rep PR’s.

I mean dudes have been getting jacked for decades with just barbells and dumbbells. So what you have access to isn’t some kind of short coming.

Thank you Paul :slight_smile:
I don’t know either what is the fixed weight but it is not much as I can do 20 reps on RDL and little less on deep squat, so there is no much room for chasing higher numbers but I go with the quality of movement+rest-pause, slow eccentrics.

So, is training structured like this rounded and optimal in your opinion?

Movements for push - dips, push ups on handles with elevated feet, shoulder press, flies with dumbbells, db lateral raises, lying triceps ext.

Movements for pull - pull ups, lumberjack rows, biceps curls

Movements for legs - Lumberjack squats, lumberjack RDLs, bodyweight walking lunges

6-10 sets x week x muscle group with rest-pause, slow eccentrics or to normal failure.

If you can figure out a movement for lats then you’re good to go. Pull ups and rows are upper back movements. A curl grip (supinated) pull up would suffice.

Thanks. I understood that if I row by pulling as low as possible toward the hips that lats are also engaged. Right? Sorry, maybe I misunderstood something due to my english not perfect.
In any case I am already doing this training and I feel great and I like how my body looks. I guess this is the right type of training for me :slight_smile:

Somewhat. It’s still not ideal for a lat movement. It’s actually rather hard to bias the lats with traditional rows and chins, etc.

Yes, I get it.
I’ve red your article about back training, now it’s clear. Thanks again coach :slight_smile: