T Nation

High Heart Rate Indicator of Poor Health?

I am 22, and do real cardiovascular exercise very rarely. I have trouble gaining weight and frankly do not do running because I know I will have to consume more calories and I don’t want a deficit to impact my size gains. Also, well–I hate running.

However, my heart rate is very high–83 bpm, I just checked five minutes ago. It typically fluctuates around low to high 70s. Is this just something that I should pay no mind to, or is it an indicator of a weak heart and I should start engaging in an aerobic workout to lower it?

My bloodwork has always been strong and I have very good blood pressure.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Has it always been high? Do you take medications that might raise it. My HR has always been around 82. That’s not good, but it’s partly from asthma medication and partly just how it is.

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
Has it always been high? Do you take medications that might raise it. My HR has always been around 82. That’s not good, but it’s partly from asthma medication and partly just how it is.[/quote]

Yes, it’s always been on the high end. I haven’t tracked my pulse regularly, but I can’t recall it ever being in the low 60s when it has been taken.[/quote]

No, I take no medications.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
What time of day, and in what position do you take your HR?[/quote]

I don’t take it regularly, but as I said, I just took it a little while ago and it was 83. I was sitting here at my computer. I can’t imagine my “real” resting heart rate would be less than 10 bpm less, and even 73 is pretty high, yes?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hmm, right now I am sitting at my computer at work. Definetly not a resting herat rate. But I did it twice and both times it came out to 68 beats per minute; and I am out of shape and have about 30 pounds of fat to lose.