High Fructose Corn Syrup Propaganda

[quote]kakattack wrote:
I still want to know if these commercials are airing elsewhere or just in Mass.

Anyone else seen them?[/quote]

I havent and I am only a few miles away

[quote]kakattack wrote:

Anyone else seen them?[/quote]

good point. no one has answered my question as to whether or not they’ve actually seen the commercials. instead we’ve degraded into an argument over corn farming, which was never the intention of this thread.

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:
kakattack wrote:

Anyone else seen them?

I haven’t and I am only a few miles away[/quote]

Interesting. I just got TV monday after months of static… so I have no idea if it’s a new commercial or not. But since then, I’ve seen it at least 3-4 times.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
RJ, it’s apparant that you have some inside info about this most likely because you have some foot in farming being down in Texas.[/quote]

Yes, I do. It is critical to my business that I know farming and ranching. Without that knowledge, I would not have a business.

Dude - I have posted ad nauseum about this stuff. For starters type “grass fed beef” into the search box, and hit enter.

I get sick and tired of posting the same stuff over and over and over.

It is not incumbent upon people what I know when they post a thread slamming something they know nothing about.

I never said obesity was exclusively a function of inactivity. I said that I think it contributes more to obesity than nutrition. People haven’t really changed the way they eat all that much over the last 40 years. but they have drastically reduced their activity level. From video games to riding lawn mowers, the level of physical input required to achieve a given output has been slashed over the last several decades.

I think the study would be better performed on fatass couch potatoes. Even Shugart says it - “just do something”. People will probably naturally eat less if they are busy doing something that prohibits them from being within an arm’s reach of the ho ho’s.

I never said nutrition wasn’t a factor. I just disagree that nutrition is more causal than inactivity.

I don’t think consuming HFCS is a great choice, either, but I don’t think corn is the crap heap you think it is. If it weren’t such an efficient food source, meat producers would not be feeding it.

The jury is not in yet, but as of right now, there will be no price subsidy give for corn this year. That means there is a market for corn. Now it could be the ethanol, which is not a very efficient use of corn right now. But advancing technologies is making it more efficient.

I have no problem with that. My problem is with people like the OP who throw out bullshit they read on the internet as if it is fact, knowing full well they haven’t a clue if it is true or not.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
kakattack wrote:

Anyone else seen them?

good point. no one has answered my question as to whether or not they’ve actually seen the commercials. instead we’ve degraded into an argument over corn farming, which was never the intention of this thread.[/quote]

Oops.

No, I have not seen them, but I watch very little TV.

OK I got a little carried away, to answer the question I have seen the commercials and I live in Ohio.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
I have no problem with that. My problem is with people like the OP who throw out bullshit they read on the internet as if it is fact, knowing full well they haven’t a clue if it is true or not.
[/quote]

i don’t remember throwing out any information i read on the internet as fact. i asked a question, and provided a link that would explain what i was referring to if people had not seen the commercials themselves.

i’m merely comparing information from one source (in this case a corn industry lobbyist organization) to another (T-Nation authors and their article source material).

and if you’re sick of posting ad inifitum about farming, then just don’t. we all get that you understand farming. you understand it better than 98% of the people on this site i’m sure. the take home message is that i don’t care what you know about farming since i wasn’t asking about it in the first place.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
OK I got a little carried away, to answer the question I have seen the commercials and I live in Ohio.[/quote]

thank you.

so we have a “no” from rhode island and kentucky, and a “yes” from ohio…interesting…

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
and if you’re sick of posting ad inifitum about farming, then just don’t. we all get that you understand farming. you understand it better than 98% of the people on this site i’m sure. the take home message is that i don’t care what you know about farming since i wasn’t asking about it in the first place.[/quote]

I never said you were asking about farming. In fact, had you actually asked, I would not have flamed you. But you didn’t. You threw out farming “facts” that you know nothing about.

If this were a training forum, and you posted something - even if it was at the end of your post - out of ignorance, you would get the same reaction you received from me in this forum.

But for some reason, you seem to think it is ok to hurl back handed insults at the industry that allows you the convenience of not having to know anything about it to live.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Dude - I have posted ad nauseum about this stuff. For starters type “grass fed beef” into the search box, and hit enter.[/quote]

I have not read any posts by you in regards to this. I will use the search engine. If you have links to particular threads, that would be good to post here as well.

[quote]I get sick and tired of posting the same stuff over and over and over.

It is not incumbent upon people what I know when they post a thread slamming something they know nothing about.[/quote]

I don’t think there was any intention of slamming farmer’s in this thread. However, there are things that go on with farmer’s and the government involving food subsidies - some of those foods are not very healthy for us - that we only hear bits and pieces about. Some negative. Some positive.

[quote]I never said obesity was exclusively a function of inactivity. I said that I think it contributes more to obesity than nutrition. People haven’t really changed the way they eat all that much over the last 40 years.

but they have drastically reduced their activity level. From video games to riding lawn mowers, the level of physical input required to achieve a given output has been slashed over the last several decades.[/quote]

Actually, I disagree about the part that we haven’t really changed the way we eat in the past 40 years. I believe we have.

Think about it. The fast food industry has really taken off in the past 40 years - definitely in the last 20 for sure and even more so now. Our American Fast Food has become a booming business in other countries. And that is definitely causing more worldwide cases of obesity.

A lot of the foods that we eat now may “appear” to be as good as the ones we’ve eaten for the past 40 years or more, but realistically, they are not.

Foods have changed in nutrient content and in the amount of pesticides used and other things that have been done to “enrich” them or make them “better” in some way. A lot of this has to do with money and food manufacturers.

A lot of our foods are more processed now than in the past. This is especially true for bread, white rice, pasta, cereal, etc. More and more of our food is made with “enriched” flour products and white sugar or HFCS.

Everyone thinks milk is good for them, but realistically, only raw milk should be consumed. Everyone thinks nuts are good for them, however, most nuts are roasted and salted - destroying all the nutrients!

So you have to be sure to eat raw nuts. Everyone hopes their meat and eggs are good for them, but a lot of those foods are on corn-fed diets and many are in horrible disease-ridden bins/cages where they are injected with loads of antibiotics and the transfer of diseases is high - even to us!

So yes, our diets have changed a lot more than what we may think. And I believe this is a more important factor in obesity than the physical activity thing. Sure, they both play a role, but again, even if you are sedentary, you can avoid becoming obese just by eating the right foods.

I highly recommend picking up a fantastic book that I read called “What the Bible Says About Healthy Living.” There are a few things I don’t agree with (author’s view on how much meat/protein we need), but overall, the book is EXCELLENT and shows things that were known to be true about food, vitamins and how things work in the body LONG BEFORE scientists and current nutritionists have deemed them healthy and good for us.

The book isn’t just for Christians, as the information is useful for anyone who wants to know what foods God created for us (in such a perfectly designed way) and how they work and what they do. This is also a good book to own in addition to Jonny Bowden’s “150 Healthiest Foods on Earth.”

There are three principles in “What the Bible Says About Healthy Living” that should help guide people to make the right choices:

1. Eat the foods God created for us (pretty easy to figure this out - lean meats, eggs, nuts, beans, legumes, vegetables, fruits, olive oil, grains - in their natural form).

2. Eat the foods God created for us before they have been changed/altered by man (now this is where things get tricky as man has changed a lot of our foods through various processing methods and other things - the idea behind this principle is that we should try to eat only organic foods)

3. Don’t become addicted to any food.

Again, this is a great book for anyone and it has a lot of useful info.

[quote]A recent study (from Texas) even showed that training without diet/nutrition results in nearly NO difference in body composition after 12 weeks. And this was done on previously trained subjects - not computer geeks who have never touched a weight.

I think the study would be better performed on fatass couch potatoes. Even Shugart says it - “just do something”. People will probably naturally eat less if they are busy doing something that prohibits them from being within an arm’s reach of the ho ho’s. [/quote]

Agreed.

But if you don’t do anything and avoid the ho ho’s, fast food and other processed foods, you won’t get fat either.

I believe the reason it is fed to our cattle/chickens is because it’s cheap and easy and helps fatten up the animals. That doesn’t necessarily make it a good thing.

Unless other energies/technologies prove to be more efficient and better. There are plenty of other things that may work far better.

Agreed.

Interesting, I wonder if the HFCS people are running a nationwide campaign or something? This was printed in our local newspaper about a month back. Can’t believe it.

[i]The July 25 column by Roy Pirrung, “Give good (natural) food a chance,” may confuse consumers about high fructose corn syrup.

High fructose corn syrup, sugar, and several fruit juices all contain the same simple sugars.

New research continues to confirm that high fructose corn syrup is no different from other sweeteners. It has the same number of calories as sugar and is handled similarly by the body.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted high fructose corn syrup “Generally Recognized as Safe” status for use in food, and reaffirmed that ruling in 1996 after thorough review.

High fructose corn syrup offers numerous benefits, too. It keeps foods fresh. It enhances fruit and spice flavors. It retains moisture in bran cereals and helps keep breakfast bars moist.

Consumers can see the latest research and learn more about high fructose corn syrup at www.HFCSfacts.com and www.sweetsurprise.com.

Audrae Erickson

President

Corn Refiners Association

Washington, D.C.[/i]

[quote]rainjack wrote:
But for some reason, you seem to think it is ok to hurl back handed insults at the industry that allows you the convenience of not having to know anything about it to live.
[/quote]

again i’m at a loss. i can’t understand why you think i’m insulting farmers. i’m commenting on the promotion of a product that, as others before me have mentioned, is not good for you, as being perfectly fine.

i understand that the farming and ranching industries play a huge role in people’s lives, and that the general population has no idea what goes into either of them.

i also understand that it has particular importance to you since you have built some kind of business around it. i’m not going to argue with you any more about it since it was never my aim to discuss the industry side of this in the first place. i was commenting on their marketing.

[quote]dre wrote:
Interesting, I wonder if the HFCS people are running a nationwide campaign or something?
[/quote]

that’s exactly what i was wondering as well.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:

Don’t let dear old rainjack get under you skin. It seems as though he’s suffering from some post-vacation depression. Or maybe a farmer just rammed a pitchfork up his ass.

[/quote]

LOL…

I think he may have been almost relaxed for half-a-day when he returned from his trip.

I can’t see corn farmers hurting all that much financially with the popularity of Biodiesel. I can’t comment on the feed corn farmers, but I believe last year the Dep. of Ag set aside like 1.5 billion for corn farmers utilizing it for ethanol production.

I frickin love when laroyal answers crap…I learn so much. I feel like a stalker though because of my all of a sudden paying attention when he speaks. haha

I live in South Dakota, we have corn fields here, and I have not seen the commercials.

Regarding subsidies: Although the corn farmers may not receive subsidies this year the ethanol companies will. We have a very large company based in Sioux Falls and for one refinery alone, including R&D they were awarded a $180,000,000 grant in 2007. This particular grant was not corn ethanol related however government money does still flow that way as well. I cannot tell you how this may compare to subsidies for other fuel types. But I can tell you that you probably shouldn’t substitute corn ethanol for HFCS. But I would imagine that your weight loss would be extremely rapid initially due to either vomitting and/or diahrea. Lighten up, it’s corn. How many fat corn eating indians did the pilgrims meet in 1620? Probably very few. Exercise is more important for general body composition concerns than food. I can carb up continuously as long as I keep moving and I don’t get chubby. I do not farm and do not have farm dependent employment.

My post I hope does not incite a e-riot. If it does I’ll retract it.

All I know is that once I removed the HFCS from my diet, my weight loss increased dramatically.

And I also noticed this even with diet soda. I wont speculate as to how bad it is, but the proof is in the pudding. Use your body as your own laboratory and see what happens.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
FYI corn syrup has been around since t least 1902 - way before the evil gov’t subsidies.

[/quote]

I thought that the thing that made HFCS so ubiquitous was the genetic engineering of the corn so that the corn stalks themselves would produce sugar as well that could later be processed into HFCS. Am I wrong?

[quote]bluejay wrote:
But I can tell you that you probably shouldn’t substitute corn ethanol for HFCS. But I would imagine that your weight loss would be extremely rapid initially due to either vomitting and/or diahrea. Lighten up, it’s corn. [/quote]

I only brought up the ethanol comment because of the OP saying that corn farmers might be hurting financially. Which would be a reason for the propaganda of HFCS.

Everyone around my area in Wyoming is growing corn for the ethanol subsidy, as well as the increased profit from it. Which doesn’t bother me in the slightest because my alfalfa fields are worth more because of it.

I have yet to see any commercials or ads heralding the joys of HFCS here though.