T Nation

High Fructose Corn Syrup Propaganda

i was just curious if anyone else has begun seeing commercials (sponsored by the corn refiners association) spinning high fructose corn syrup as a completely acceptable additive / alternative to sugar. i don’t know if these are just being shown regionally (i’m in boston), or if this is a nationwide campaign to promote this junk.

after laughing at the commercials with my girlfriend she found the following link, which just pushes this whole spectacle over the edge:

http://www.hfcsfacts.com/

i just think it’s funny, and a little sad, that they’re trying to convince people that hfcs is “ok in moderation.” i mean, are the corn farmers and refiners really hurting that much? hfcs is in just about every processed food known to man. plus, corn is a government subsidized crop after all…

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
i was just curious if anyone else has begun seeing commercials (sponsored by the corn refiners association) spinning high fructose corn syrup as a completely acceptable additive / alternative to sugar. i don’t know if these are just being shown regionally (i’m in boston), or if this is a nationwide campaign to promote this junk.

after laughing at the commercials with my girlfriend she found the following link, which just pushes this whole spectacle over the edge:

i just think it’s funny, and a little sad, that they’re trying to convince people that hfcs is “ok in moderation.” i mean, are the corn farmers and refiners really hurting that much? hfcs is in just about every processed food known to man. plus, corn is a government subsidized crop after all… [/quote]

I’ll leave the HFCS bullshit alone, for now. But do you have any clue how utterly ignorant you are about farming, and just how the subsidy programs work in the US?

I doubt it. You are just another bandwagoneer who hasn’t a fucking clue about what he is talking about other than you heard a buzzword, and wanted to sound really cool on the internet.

Dude - know what the fuck you are talking about before you start acting like an expert on it. There is probably a pretty good chance that you will get called on it - kinda like right now.

FYI corn syrup has been around since t least 1902 - way before the evil gov’t subsidies.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:

i just think it’s funny, and a little sad, that they’re trying to convince people that hfcs is “ok in moderation.” i mean, are the corn farmers and refiners really hurting that much? hfcs is in just about every processed food known to man. plus, corn is a government subsidized crop after all…

I’ll leave the HFCS bullshit alone, for now. But do you have any clue how utterly ignorant you are about farming, and just how the subsidy programs work in the US?

I doubt it. You are just another bandwagoneer who hasn’t a fucking clue about what he is talking about other than you heard a buzzword, and wanted to sound really cool on the internet.

Dude - know what the fuck you are talking about before you start acting like an expert on it. There is probably a pretty good chance that you will get called on it - kinda like right now.

[/quote]

your welcome to share your knowledge on HFCS instead of attacking his character…

[quote]rainjack wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:

[/quote]

yes rainjack, that’s exactly what i wanted to do. you sure nailed me. i wanted to try to sound really cool on the internet.

also, i don’t remember claiming to be an expert, but let me recheck my post…um…nope, i didn’t. phew, that’s a relief. for a second i thought you had a leg to stand on by trying to call me out.

all i was doing was asking people if they’ve seen a commercial. a little uptight about corn are we?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
rainjack wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:

your welcome to share your knowledge on HFCS instead of attacking his character…[/quote]

Show me where I attacked anyone’s character. I attacked his jumping on the bash corn farming band wagon.

So did you jump in here to say anything, or just bash me for saying something?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
your welcome to share your knowledge on HFCS instead of attacking his character…[/quote]

thank you.

all i was really trying to find out is if these commercials were a new england thing or if they were in fact running nationally. i was especially curious if they ran in the midwest…you know…where our crops are grown.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
rainjack wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:

yes rainjack, that’s exactly what i wanted to do. you sure nailed me. i wanted to try to sound really cool on the internet.

also, i don’t remember claiming to be an expert, but let me recheck my post…um…nope, i didn’t. phew, that’s a relief. for a second i thought you had a leg to stand on by trying to call me out.

all i was doing was asking people if they’ve seen a commercial. a little uptight about corn are we?[/quote]

No - that’s not “all you were doing”. If that’s the case, why bring up farming? Why bring up farm subsidies? Nope - you were trying to sound relevant on a subject you have zero knowledge of. Maybe I was wrong, maybe you didn’t want to sound “cool”. But, if not, then why launch into all the opinion?

If you really only wanted to know if people watched commercial, then why not just ask the question, and leave the faux expert crap out?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:

[/quote]

Don’t let dear old rainjack get under you skin. It seems as though he’s suffering from some post-vacation depression. Or maybe a farmer just rammed a pitchfork up his ass.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil. I can’t believe they are saying it’s okay to consume in moderation. That’s just like saying trans fats are okay for you as well. Just ridiculous.

And yeah, I agree about the government and how they subsidize corn with the farmers. At one point, they were paying farmers all kinds of money to continue growing corn in order to keep the market up. There was some good info about this in Don Alessi’s book “Don’t Diet.”

I’ve also watched a good report on 20/20 that talked about something similar last year.

I don’t know all the ins and outs of how the government works out this subsidizing program, but the fact that we are paying farmers to grow corn to meet the needs of the government is a little out of control.

We don’t need HFCS, nor do we need so much freakin’ corn. It’s bad enough that corn is fed to our cattle, chicken, etc. And they use it for everything these days including cereals, grains and now even in our gasoline (a whole other story - short version: ethanol sucks).

Corn is a crappy food, especially with as much of it that the government and food manufacturers try to ram down our gullets in a variety of ways.

I don’t eat corn or foods containing corn or HFCS, but unfortunately, I eat meat from the grocery store that has been fed mostly corn as part of its diet. The only way to avoid this is to buy grass-fed/organic beef and chicken, but that’s not always feasible due to price and availability.

And people wonder why the world’s obesity population keeps increasing. Even in countries that never had a weight problem before (Japan and Australia), they are now some of the most obese places thanks to American fast food, corn, HFCS, white flour and other processed breads and cereals along with lack of physical activity.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Show me where I attacked anyone’s character. I attacked his jumping on the bash corn farming band wagon.

So did you jump in here to say anything, or just bash me for saying something?
[/quote]

lol if calling someone a bandwagoner is not attacking is character I don’t know what is.

Evidently you have some strong opinion on his knowledge with none of your own to share. He clearly stated he was wondering what this was all about. Either you know something about it and want to keep it for some secret inter-office presidential campaign or you know nothing and like the word “subsidies”. Oh wait, I forgot it was all roid rage.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
rainjack wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:

Don’t let dear old rainjack get under you skin. It seems as though he’s suffering from some post-vacation depression. Or maybe a farmer just rammed a pitchfork up his ass.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil. I can’t believe they are saying it’s okay to consume in moderation. That’s just like saying trans fats are okay for you as well. Just ridiculous.

And yeah, I agree about the government and how they subsidize corn with the farmers. At one point, they were paying farmers all kinds of money to continue growing corn in order to keep the market up. There was some good info about this in Don Alessi’s book “Don’t Diet.”

I’ve also watched a good report on 20/20 that talked about something similar last year.

I don’t know all the ins and outs of how the government works out this subsidizing program, but the fact that we are paying farmers to grow corn to meet the needs of the government is a little out of control.

We don’t need HFCS, nor do we need so much freakin’ corn. It’s bad enough that corn is fed to our cattle, chicken, etc. And they use it for everything these days including cereals, grains and now even in our gasoline (a whole other story - short version: ethanol sucks).

Corn is a crappy food, especially with as much of it that the government and food manufacturers try to ram down our gullets in a variety of ways.

I don’t eat corn or foods containing corn or HFCS, but unfortunately, I eat meat from the grocery store that has been fed mostly corn as part of its diet. The only way to avoid this is to buy grass-fed/organic beef and chicken, but that’s not always feasible due to price and availability.

And people wonder why the world’s obesity population keeps increasing. Even in countries that never had a weight problem before (Japan and Australia), they are now some of the most obese places thanks to American fast food, corn, HFCS, white flour and other processed breads and cereals along with lack of physical activity.[/quote]

Nate - you are a great guy, but you REALLY REALLY REALLY don’t want to get into a farming argument with me. Taking your farming info from Don Alessi, or 20/20 is like getting training information from the back of a box of Frosted Flakes.

Your beef from the store has been fed a ration of, at most, a 60% grain - and not all of it corn. The rest is alfalfa hay.

Obesity is a function of inactivity more than it is nutrition.

You are in over your head here. Leave now, and you will be spared. Stay at your own risk. I have given you fair warning.

Would you care to explain why exactly you think HFCS is so different than table sugar? I think it’s GI is slightly higher, but other than that, they both contain equal portions of glucose and fructose.

Not that table sugar is so good in the first place, but the website you directed me to seems to only be comparing it to that.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
lol if calling someone a bandwagoner is not attacking is character I don’t know what is.[/quote]

Then you don’t have a clue. Sorry. But perhaps you should take the advice I gave the OP and know what you are talking about before jumping in and proving that you don’t.

Dude - all you have to do is do a search. evidently you have missed the pages and pages and pages I have posted on all the “corn is evil” “farmers are bad” crap.

Your inability to pay attention is no indication of my knowledge, or lack thereof.

But nice ad hominem with the roid rage comment. It makes your entire argument so much more powerful.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
your welcome to share your knowledge on HFCS instead of attacking his character…

thank you.

all i was really trying to find out is if these commercials were a new england thing or if they were in fact running nationally. i was especially curious if they ran in the midwest…you know…where our crops are grown.[/quote]

If that was truly the case, why did you include this?

That is why I jumped in here. I could care less about your opinion on HFCS.

I do, however, give a shit when you are insulting the american farmer.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Nate - you are a great guy, but you REALLY REALLY REALLY don’t want to get into a farming argument with me. Taking your farming info from Don Alessi, or 20/20 is like getting training information from the back of a box of Frosted Flakes.

Your beef from the store has been fed a ration of, at most, a 60% grain - and not all of it corn. The rest is alfalfa hay.

Obesity is a function of inactivity more than it is nutrition.

You are in over your head here. Leave now, and you will be spared. Stay at your own risk. I have given you fair warning.

[/quote]

RJ, it’s apparant that you have some inside info about this most likely because you have some foot in farming being down in Texas.

So rather than attacking people or saying that everyone is wrong doesn’t help much if you don’t offer the knowledge you have. Going ballistic doesn’t prove anything.

Obesity is not a function of just inactivity. Nutrition plays a key role in all facets of life whether someone is trying to gain weight (muscle), lose fat or lives a sedentary lifestyle and consumes fast food, processed foods, etc.

A recent study (from Texas) even showed that training without diet/nutrition results in nearly NO difference in body composition after 12 weeks. And this was done on previously trained subjects - not computer geeks who have never touched a weight.

So obesity is a combination of both factors with more of it going toward nutrition/food rather than inactivity.

Even if people are inactive, they won’t become obese if they are eating a whole, natural diet in proper proportions.

I still believe HFCS is evil, and I believe that corn is a crappy food and it is found in too many foods.

Thank you for the breakdown on the feed to cattle, as that at least gives me a little more peace of mind to know that the beef I eat is not completely a by-product of a corn-fed diet.

I may not know as much about the farming aspect and how government subsidies work in that regard, but I do know that we produce a lot of corn for a lot of products and a lot of countries (and for gasoline). And I just don’t think it’s necessary or very beneficial to our health.

However, since you know more about this subject, perhaps you will enlighten us rather than me having to flee from this thread in the hopes that I will be spared.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
So rather than attacking people or saying that everyone is wrong doesn’t help much if you don’t offer the knowledge you have. Going ballistic doesn’t prove anything.

However, since you know more about this subject, perhaps you will enlighten us…
[/quote]

x2

I’m definitely curious.

Of course HFCS is ok in moderation.

You just have to define moderation in this case.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
If that was truly the case, why did you include this?

That is why I jumped in here. I could care less about your opinion on HFCS.

I do, however, give a shit when you are insulting the american farmer. [/quote]

i included that bit because i think it’s amusing when organizations spend the money, in this case to air a series of commercials, aimed at trying to get us to either a) buy a product that doesn’t need advertising, or b) buy a product that is clearly bad for us.

to elaborate, i also think it’s amusing that i see commercials for things like milk or eggs. do these really need to be advertised? do people not know that this things exist? i’m not poking fun at or insulting the dairy farmers (or the corn farmers in this case); it’s just funny that they feel the need to advertise.

the second is more critical though. yes, corn is ok. i have nothing against corn. but that fact that hfcs is in 90% of the foods on the shelf tells me two things. one, is that that people don’t need to advertise it since it’s already in everything and shows no signs of leaving. two, is that people are clearly ingesting too much of it.

and for the record i feel the same way about sugar as well. if the sugar refiners association put out commercials i’d be laughing at those too.

you can turn to any number or articles on this site alone that will tell you that eating hfcs is a bad idea. i’m just not sure why we’re arguing.

I still want to know if these commercials are airing elsewhere or just in Mass.

Anyone else seen them?

I admittidly know nothing about government subsidation programs (except the little bit I just read in this post -lol) but I can tell you why I and many others advise people NOT to consume HFCS.

The lead article of the April 2004 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition features this issue and the researchers say consumption of high-fructose corn sweeteners increased more than 1,000 percent between 1970 and 1990, far exceeding changes in intake of any other food or food group.

Food and beverage manufacturers began switching their sweeteners from sucrose (table sugar) to corn syrup in the 1970s when they discovered that high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) was not only cheaper to make, it was also much sweeter (processed fructose is nearly 20 times sweeter than table sugar), and this switch has drastically altered the American diet.

In 1966, sucrose made up 86 percent of sweeteners. Today, 55 percent of sweeteners used are made from corn. And while people ate no high-fructose corn syrup in 1966, they ate close to 63 pounds each in 2001.

HFCS, which is made from cornstarch, is now used to sweeten:

Soft drinks
Fruit juices
Baked goods
Canned fruits
Dairy products
Cookies
Gum
Jams and jellies

It contains similar amounts of both fructose and glucose, whereas sucrose is a larger sugar molecule that is metabolized in the intestine into glucose and fructose.

HFCS is the only caloric sweetener in U.S. soft drinks and over 60 percent of the calories in apple juice, which is used as a base for many fruit drinks, come from fructose. The primary source of HFCS in the American diet is soda and juice–about two-thirds of all fructose consumed in the United States is in beverages.

Researchers estimated that Americans eat 132 calories of HFCS while the top 20 percent of sweetener consumers eat over 300. And some, they say, eat as much as 700 calories per day of HFCS.

So what makes corn syrup such an unhealthy, fat-promoting product?

The digestive and absorptive processes for glucose and fructose are different. Unlike glucose, which the body uses, when one consumes large amounts of fructose it is a relatively unregulated source of fuel for the liver to convert to fat and cholesterol. Fructose converts to fat more than any other sugar. It is also known to raise triglycerides significantly.

The fact that most fructose is consumed in a liquid form significantly magnifies its negative metabolic effects. The devastation it has on our biology would be significantly lessened if it were consumed in solid food, but as I mentioned above, most fructose is consumed in soft drinks and fruit juices.

In addition, unlike glucose, fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion or enhance leptin, a hormone thought to be involved in appetite regulation, production. Because insulin and leptin act as key signals in regulating how much food you eat and body weight, this suggests that dietary fructose may contribute to increased food intake and weight gain.

While consumers may not have even blinked when the use of high fructose corn syrup replaced sucrose (table sugar) as a sweetener several years ago, new research is showing that fructose has the ability to significantly raise triglyceride levels, which may increase the risk of heart disease.

Researchers from the University of California (Davis) note that “The introduction of high fructose corn syrup as a substitute sweetener for sucrose in the mid-1970s has contributed to a general increase in fructose consumption in the U.S. diet.”

Researchers from the University of Minnesota note that “About 9% of average dietary energy intake in the United States comes from fructose. Such a high consumption raises concern about the metabolic effects of this sugar.”

In the University of Minnesota study, researchers studied 24 healthy adults, who received one of 2 diets assigned randomly for a period of 6 weeks and then switched to the other diet for 6 weeks.

One diet provided 17% of energy as fructose and the other diet was sweetened with glucose and was nearly devoid of fructose.
Both diets were composed of common foods and contained nearly identical amounts of carbohydrate, protein, fat, fiber, cholesterol, and saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fatty acids.

In men, the fructose diet raised plasma triglyceride levels by 32%, although there was no effect seen with the women being studied.
The authors conclude that “Diets high in added fructose may be undesirable, particularly for men.”

In the University of California (Davis) study, researchers found that “Dietary fructose significantly increased serum triglyceride concentration across the life span in rats.” This increase occurred regardless of whether or not the rats were fed calorie restricted diets or had free access to food.

Fructose has no enzymes, vitamins or minerals so it takes micronutrients from the body while it assimilates itself for use. However, eating a small piece of whole fruit, which contains natural fructose, is not likely to be a problem for most people because fresh fruits contain the enzymes, vitamins and minerals that are needed for the fructose to assimilate in the body.

Contrary to common belief, corn is a grain, not a vegetable, and is definitely not fit as a dietary staple and mainstay, primarily because it contains high amounts of sugar. When early Native Americans changed their diet to one based mostly on corn, they had increased rates of the following:

Anemia
Dental cavities
Osteoarthritis
Bone infections and other bone problems
Corn is Everywhere in the American Diet

Corn, and usually highly processed corn, has become a staple ingredient of the American diet. Cheap corn is truly the building block of the ''fast-food nation," as Michael Pollan writes in a New York Times article.

Not only is it in HFCS, but animals raised for meat are often fed corn and other grains. Most meat in supermarkets comes from grain-fed animals. On the contrary, grain-free meats not only provide a better balance of omega fats, but also the animals are healthier and more humanely raised, and the risk of acquiring an infection from a healthy animal is very remote.

What You Can Do

Genetic factors clearly play an important role in the development of obesity. However, the rapidity with which the current epidemic of obesity has hit the United States and the rest of the world makes diet and lifestyle a more likely explanation.

So the answer is plain and simple. If you want to lose weight stop drinking soda and processed fruit juices that are sweetened with about eight teaspoons of fructose per serving. I have made many difficult recommendations to patients in their quest to achieve health, but one of the simplest is to stop drinking soda. There is never any reason to drink it and it is one of the easiest foods to give up. Switch to pure water as your beverage of choice and you will be well on your way to better health.

Rainjack I have always enjoyed your posts and agree with a lot of what you post but, I do have to side with Nate Dogg on this one.