HIgh Fructose Corn Syrup in Steak Sauce

I like having some Heinz 57 or A.1. steak sauce with my beef. But it really annoys me that one of the ingredients is high fructose corn syrup. I know it is a small quantity, a couple of grams per tbsp, but still.

Should I be concerned? Does anyone know a brand that tastes just as good but does not have corn syrup as an ingredient?

If it really concerns you that much, dont use it. I cant imagine the amount one would use a piece of steak could be anything more than 3-4 grams…

If you are drinking the stuff like a soda, then yes, swtich brands. If you go through less than 1 bottle a month, this should not even be an issue.

make your own steak sauce. use the same ingredients on the bottle, but substitute regular old sugar or splenda for the high-fructose corn syrup.

It’s amazing how they sneak that syrup into almost everything. I bought a can of peas a few weeks ago and the label listed high fructose corn syrup.

I’m not sure if it’s out there, but there might be an organic steak sauce without HFCS in it. I use organic ketchup for this reason.

I don’t think I use more than a bottle per month which means only a few grams per steak. I have tried organic brands without HFCS and while they were OK, 57 and A.1. taste much better. I think I’ll stick with them. Thanks for the replies!

Do they sell HP Sauce in USA? It doesn’t use that crap (and tastes about the same, a bit better IMO)

Eat your steak plain and rare or medium.

Marinate it with herbs, oil, vinegar, and worcester sauce, then grill it.

Anything more is blasphemy. :wink:

[quote]robo1 wrote:
It’s amazing how they sneak that syrup into almost everything. I bought a can of peas a few weeks ago and the label listed high fructose corn syrup.[/quote]

I don’t know about the US, but here in canada, they started labeling it as glucose-fructose, which has pissed me off to no end.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Eat your steak plain and rare or medium.

Marinate it with herbs, oil, vinegar, and worcester sauce, then grill it.

Anything more is blasphemy. ;)[/quote]

Word. Steak sauce is for people that don’t really like steak and have teh ghey.

Yep, they sneak that shit in everything.

Why are you using steak sauce anyways? Real steaks don’t need sauce.

Throw a pat of herbed butter on that bitch and call it a day.

The only thing that should go on a steak is more steak.

If it bothers you that much just use organic ketchup and mix in worschester to taste. Very similar to A-1

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Marinate it with herbs, oil, vinegar, and worcester sauce, then grill it.[/quote]

I also marinate all my meat. My marinade for beef is exactly like yours, sometimes I also add some soy sauce to it. The marinades protect all meat being grilled from forming oxidized cholesterol.

Still most of the time I want to put some steak souce on it.

[quote]Envision wrote:
The only thing that should go on a steak is more steak.[/quote]

Or lobster

Is “marinate my meat” a euphemism? :wink:

[quote]jstines wrote:
Envision wrote:
The only thing that should go on a steak is more steak.

Or lobster[/quote]

How about lobster sandwiched between steak?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Is “marinate my meat” a euphemism? ;)[/quote]

I rub the marinade all over my beef and make sure it is very slick … Good one man! :slight_smile:

The real problem with HFCS is the accumulative effect…

Its in small amounts in most every thing so at the days end tally you eat way more than you would ever want…

Shit it’s to the point pure sugar is almost a health food now-a-days… (comparatively)

I see your in California. Do you have a Trader Joe’s near you? I just picked up their “Organic Steak Sauce” the other day. Tastes great, no corn syrup.