T Nation

High Frequency Training for Powerlifting

i have been noticing something the more i read about powerlifting that i have seen with olympic lifting, crossfit, and even running/cycling/etc type training. it seems that a higher frequency in training produces stronger athletes.

the texas method i am currently doing really makes me see a similarity with the endurance type of training i used to do with the training i am now doing for powerlifting. i have a high volume day, with a moderate volume/low intensity day and then a high intensity/low volume day. just like what i would do with a 3 day a week runner. i then looked back at what i would do for my triathlon training. and it was very close to the westside method. i would even follow a 3 week wave with a deload week.

has anyone else seen this? or am i just stretching here and trying to find something that is not there.

No, you're not stretching. They are distinctly different, but yes there are fundamental principles that are the same across the board. As they say, the devil is in the details. I am a firm believer that high frequency training works extremely well for raw powerlifting provided a) yoy know how to program for it and b) you are willing to make the weekly time commitment to that kind of training.

I find that aside from pl gear there is a fundamental glaring difference between many--not all-- powerlifters and olympic lifters that seems to make powerlifters think that it's not feasible to squat daily--powerlifters tend to push themselves way too hard EVERY DAY when trying this method and it burns them out. They grind out reps, fail reps, psyche themselves up, go all out evert single day...and then wonder why they get burned out or injured. It's just like christian thibaudeau's philosophy--it only works if you stay true to ALL its prinicples: minimize the eccentric, never grind, never fail, and never psyche yourself up for daily max weights. Always end fast, never slow.

The other big difference I see is that many--not all-- powerlifters are just plain out of shape and have shit for conditioning. That will bury you in a program like high frequency squatting. The third and final big problem I see is that people jump directly into heavy daily training. You have to work into it gradually over a period 6 or more weeks. Many olympic programs will take 4-6 MONTHS to work a lifter into the Broz style heavy daily squatting. It is a gradual process.

As an example of high frequency pl training, look at Sheiko--minimum 3x weekly squatting and benching. Some of Sheiko's programs can include 5 or more days of squatting in a week. Sheiko, btw, was an olympic lifting coach who asapted to coaching powerlifting as well IIRC. It can be done, but it should be done gradually.

^ this

Good write up.

I remember reading or seeing an interview/interviews with one of more of Broz's lifters and they described what they called the 'dark times'. It was upwards of a year to accumulate after getting to the full on Bulgarian method, and they said it was not fun, i.e. they were pretty much human zombies.