High Frequency Squats & Joints

Hi

I am interested in what sort of programming you would use for squatting more frequently (ie. 4-6 days/week. I enjoy a lower volume/high frequency approach and have seen good progress for lower body strength using this

I would like some advice on programming to build up my squat (esp. front squat) (would I get good results from just sticking to sets of 4-6?, would doing higher reps benefit my 1RM or 5RM?) it would be great to hear from anybody who has had results from this

I have found the limiting factor to be joint strength rather than muscular, and it seems to get worse when taking time off(eg. I might squat heavy for 3 days in a row fine, but as soon as I take a day off, my knees are shot). Is there anything (exercises, treatments etc) that can help with my knee joints, or will they simply get used to it?

I am a relative beginner- my front squat is 105kgx5. Don’t really do back squats so much atm as they seem to take longer to recover from, and usually for higher reps. I have done 110kgx20, but I would not be able to do this now. I also do (heavy-ish) power cleans & snatch grip DL, which would, I guess, impact on squatting recovery

I think my form is pretty good - people say I go too low, and my knees do come over my toes, but as far as i can see any oly lifter does this.
I have tried to minimise bounce, but I might still use it at near-max weights
I can post up a form video next time I go to the gym if it is of any use

Yes post a video.

Knees track over toes, it’s fine, ignore the n00bs who tell you to do so. They probably can’t do a one legged squat as they are too weak, no balance, not strong enough and not flexible enough.

Lower reps will help increase your 1RM more.

You want to squat everyday for 4-6sets?

What is your max? What do you want to gain? Stronger 1-3rep range?

The higher frequency you squat the less sets you want to overall volume. If you want to squat daily then only do a one top set is my advice. I had some success squating often 6-8x a week hitting a heavy single and then doing 2 drop down sets at the end of my session. I got from 170 to 180 then I didn’t get past 180. But now with squating twice a week I’ve gotten more success imo. 180 to 185 but I can triple 181 and my minimum 3rep is 170.

You may have better luck squating everyday but I don’t think it is very sustainable for long. Your work situation may allow you to tear it up on heavy singles but I don’t think you will see much in the way of gains hitting 4-6sets everyday. Sounds like a receipe to bury yourself imo, but you being a relative beginner may find it works but I think you’d be better off training less and going heavy.

What is your goal? Training for the sake of training because it’s fun or do you want to lift a lot of weight?

Koing

Hi Koing

Thanks for reply. I have seen a few of your videos(no stalker)

1. I am really trying to gain a strength base atm. I am interested in doing oly lifting, but I live in a pretty remote area so coaching is not really an option. I can do a full clean now but my snatch is some way off. It is more for my own leisure and fitness though, rather than to compete any time soon.

What I have been doing so far, is working up to a max set of about 5, trying to increase the weight 1-2x per week. eg. something like:
60x5
80x5
95x5
100x5
105x5
and have been doing a similar thing maybe 2x week for front squats, but I am struggling to progress linearly any more which is why I was interested in programming.
I asked about higher reps because many russian routines (eg. smolov) use higher reps to increase the 1RM. Now this is too advanced for me and I am not a powerlifter, but would the principles still apply?

1. I took a video of my front squat today. I think there is a lot I need to work on and would really appreciate if anyone could have a look. I seem to drop very quickly at the end and my upper back appears to round in the video though I have not been conscious of this while squatting
    - YouTube

3)Finally, do you, or any other olympic lifters, do anything to help the joints. Regardless of how often I squat, my knees seem to be the limiting factor. I think I phrased my opening post poorly - it is not necessarily squatting with high frequency which I am wondering about, but really any heavy lifting involving the knee joint. For example, how to deal with both cleans and squats 2-3 times a wk

Don’t count any set below 80%, too low a %. Too many warm up reps also.

I’d recommend aiming to increase your 3-4RM. Don’t squat daily.

Squats look pretty good, you crumple a bit but here are is some advice

Set your position
stand upright and tall,
drive your elbows up, this will help keep your back nice and tight until you get the feeling of being able to keep your back without it, remember your form won’t improve as you lower down it will only get worse, so be dam sure to make it perfect at the top and you will be able to sustain more of it
keep your weight on your heels, your weight is about mid food this is why you step forwards on the last squat up
Work on keeping your back upright and tight, the more you squat the easier it will be and the elbow queue will help you out a lot
As you squat up MAKE A HUGE EFFORT TO DRIVE YOUR HIPS IN FORWARDS AND LEAN BACKWARDS A BIT, this will help you lift more weight, your hips do go in but your probably not thinking about it. So here it is and think about it more on the next time you do it. I bet you find it easier :slight_smile:

Just squat 2x a week, rest 72 hrs inbetween squat sessions. Your legs take enough of a beating Sn and CJ. Your knees will adjust. Do you have any issues at the momemt? I hammer the fish oils, about 16a day.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Don’t count any set below 80%, too low a %. Too many warm up reps also.

I’d recommend aiming to increase your 3-4RM. Don’t squat daily.

Squats look pretty good, you crumple a bit but here are is some advice

Set your position
stand upright and tall,
drive your elbows up, this will help keep your back nice and tight until you get the feeling of being able to keep your back without it, remember your form won’t improve as you lower down it will only get worse, so be dam sure to make it perfect at the top and you will be able to sustain more of it
keep your weight on your heels, your weight is about mid food this is why you step forwards on the last squat up
Work on keeping your back upright and tight, the more you squat the easier it will be and the elbow queue will help you out a lot
As you squat up MAKE A HUGE EFFORT TO DRIVE YOUR HIPS IN FORWARDS AND LEAN BACKWARDS A BIT, this will help you lift more weight, your hips do go in but your probably not thinking about it. So here it is and think about it more on the next time you do it. I bet you find it easier :slight_smile:

Just squat 2x a week, rest 72 hrs inbetween squat sessions. Your legs take enough of a beating Sn and CJ. Your knees will adjust. Do you have any issues at the momemt? I hammer the fish oils, about 16a day.

Koing[/quote]

Thanks very much for the advice
I will work on these, and keep the squatting to 2x/wk as you say. My limiting factor in the lifts is not strength anyway

Looks like youre collapsing at the bottom. You should aim to squat like this to increase stability and take less stress off the knee: 10 Min Squat Test # 7 | Feat. Kelly Starrett | Ep. 210 | MobilityWOD - YouTube

[quote]GqArtguy wrote:
Looks like youre collapsing at the bottom. You should aim to squat like this to increase stability and take less stress off the knee: 10 Min Squat Test # 7 | Feat. Kelly Starrett | Ep. 210 | MobilityWOD - YouTube

Does Ivan have you doing any specific mobility work outside of training? or is that all up to the athlete? I woulda asked you via PM but ive read that you cant msg back. So ma bad for thread hijack.

If you want to train the legs, squat light (70-80 %), otherwise the midsection will be a major limiting factor.

[quote]jacob-1310 wrote:
Does Ivan have you doing any specific mobility work outside of training? or is that all up to the athlete? I woulda asked you via PM but ive read that you cant msg back. So ma bad for thread hijack. [/quote]

Not really. Occasionally he’ll have someone do overhead squats with a clean grip to increase shoulder flexibility and thoracic mobility but thats about it. Hes ok with soft tissue work and ice, but the use is up to the athlete.

[quote]GqArtguy wrote:

[quote]jacob-1310 wrote:
Does Ivan have you doing any specific mobility work outside of training? or is that all up to the athlete? I woulda asked you via PM but ive read that you cant msg back. So ma bad for thread hijack. [/quote]

Not really. Occasionally he’ll have someone do overhead squats with a clean grip to increase shoulder flexibility and thoracic mobility but thats about it. Hes ok with soft tissue work and ice, but the use is up to the athlete. [/quote]

Ah okay, Thanks for answering.

hey koing , you mention that you squat twice a week, how do you set it up , once front squat up to 3rm and once back squat up to 3rm ?

Thanks Daniel

[quote]dalle wrote:
hey koing , you mention that you squat twice a week, how do you set it up , once front squat up to 3rm and once back squat up to 3rm ?

Thanks Daniel[/quote]

No BS. Only FS. I haven’t done any BS this year, not even the bar.

Well for me I go Wednesday heavy, Sunday I back off 10kgs. I can’t often squat heavy on Sunday. Tired from working 50hrs a week and spending 13hrs commuting to work.

Koing