T Nation

High Frequency Routine Critique

Just want some feedback on my new split. It’s an upper/lower split (kind of) where every body part’s worked twice a week. Inspiration from MODOK’s “bodypart once weekly.”

Upper: chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness

Lower: forearms, biceps, hamstrings, quads + widowmaker (20 repper)

*it’s the dc split (without calves)

Each bodypart gets one exercise with one main work set. The split will go upper 1, lower 1, upper 2, lower 2. To make sure the low back isn’t overworked back thickness for upper 1 for example could be rack pulls and quads for lower 1 could be legpress. Back thickness for upper 2 could then be seated cable rows and lower 2 could have rdl’s for hamstrings and front squats for quads.

Goals: build muscle, build basic strength for reps.

So what do you all think? The main thing i’m worried about is the upper since getting through all five bodypart’s will probably take over an
hour. Also, recovery could be hard due to the high intensity and frequency.

[quote]deadliftgoal500 wrote:
Just want some feedback on my new split. It’s an upper/lower split (kind of) where every body part’s worked twice a week. Inspiration from MODOK’s “bodypart once weekly.”

Each bodypart gets one exercise with one main work set. The split will go upper 1, lower 1, upper 2, lower 2. To make sure the low back isn’t overworked back thickness for upper 1 for example could be rack pulls and quads for lower 1 could be legpress. Back thickness for upper 2 could then be seated cable rows and lower 2 could have rdl’s for hamstrings and front squats for quads.

So what do you all think? The main thing i’m worried about is the upper since getting through all five bodypart’s will probably take over an
hour. Also, recovery could be hard due to the high intensity and frequency. [/quote]

Only one way to find out. I would usually trust MODOK’s advice and experience, although your post seems a bit unclear…but I’m too lazy to go look up his original posts on the subject. MODOK’s got good experience and is a beast, so you can’t go too far wrong trying something he did, even if it doesn’t end up suiting you to your tastes.

I imagine you will do just fine if you make sure the lower back doesn’t get really overworked.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]deadliftgoal500 wrote:

hour. Also, recovery could be hard due to the high intensity and frequency. [/quote]
Only one way to find out. I would usually trust MODOK’s advice and experience, although your post seems a bit unclear…but I’m too lazy to go look up his original posts on the subject. MODOK’s got good experience and is a beast, so you can’t go too far wrong trying something he did, even if it doesn’t end up suiting you to your tastes.

I imagine you will do just fine if you make sure the lower back doesn’t get really overworked.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. And what part is unclear?

Dude, been looking for the same type of split. 4 days/week, 2x frequency each bp to run just for 5 weeks.

Only thing I could find was a OLD relic from Waterbury, the ABBH program. Bastardized it and it looks like yours just with much less emphasis on legs (only Sumo DL, Front Squats and RFESS) and Biceps and shoulders are swapped.

Technically since your going for higher frequency and your concerned about the recovery, the upper day shouldn’t take that long. You should probably keep each exercise to 3 sets, 60-75s rest and utilize some super-setting to save time as well. That’s why I like Bi’s and Tri’s together, you don’t at all need to catch your breath when you superset them.

What rep ranges are you looking at? Was intrigued initially by the idea of 4-6 one day, then 8-10 the second go round. But I question if low rep ranges on “accessory” type movements have really helped my efforts.

[quote]giograves wrote:
Dude, been looking for the same type of split. 4 days/week, 2x frequency each bp to run just for 5 weeks.

Only thing I could find was a OLD relic from Waterbury, the ABBH program. Bastardized it and it looks like yours just with much less emphasis on legs (only Sumo DL, Front Squats and RFESS) and Biceps and shoulders are swapped.

Technically since your going for higher frequency and your concerned about the recovery, the upper day shouldn’t take that long. You should probably keep each exercise to 3 sets, 60-75s rest and utilize some super-setting to save time as well. That’s why I like Bi’s and Tri’s together, you don’t at all need to catch your breath when you superset them.

What rep ranges are you looking at? Was intrigued initially by the idea of 4-6 one day, then 8-10 the second go round. But I question if low rep ranges on “accessory” type movements have really helped my efforts. [/quote]

I’m only going to be doing one working set. They’ll be a couple of ramping sets, but i don’t count those (on my logbook anyway.) As for rep ranges, things like curls are going to be for like 8-15 while floor presses are 6-10. I’m going to start on the high end and gradually work my way down aftewhich i start he cycle over or swap it out for another exercise. (Like DC)