High Frequency 15-20 Minute Training

I recently got a new job and am moving (about 250 miles away) and I’m pretty busy until I get settled in, transitioning from my current job and city to a new one. I have two times I can train for roughly 15-20 minutes, 5 days a week. That’s my lunch break (won’t miss a meal, can eat at desk after I get back from workout) and right after work I have about 45 minutes of free time, however, I’ll need to shower, so I have about 20 min to get a workout in if you take away time for the drive to the gym (about 5 min from work). I’ve been ramping to a 3RM in 4 main movements and then doing a backoff set. I’ve been doing this for about 2 weeks and have had some strength gains and a little noticeable muscle growth. Would you guys recommend I keep doing this (I believe this will keep working for me) or is there a better method for something like this?

A little background: about a year of weight training. Diet has been the main detractor from meeting my goals. Recently, it’s been pretty in line (I’d say the last 3 months) and I’ve seen some really great progress. I will continue to improve my diet by making small changes until it’s fully satisfactory.

Most recent training 3 rep maxes:
Rack pulls: 305 x 3
Bench: 195 x 3
Trap bar dead-squat with emphasis on squatting: 285 x 3
Overhead Press (strict): 115 x 3

My backoff set (and form of progression) is the style used by the stuntman from that article last year where you do a set with a weight you can get about 8-15 reps with, then do a “50%” set where you try to get half as many reps after a short rest, then when you can hit 50% you up the weight.

Weekly programming:

A = done at lunch
B = done right after work

Monday:
A: Rack Pulls
B: Bench Press

Tuesday:
A: Dead-squat
B: Press

Wednesday:
Active rest (I practice parkour/freerunning movements in my free time normally so I’ve been doing it on Wednesdays)

Thursday repeat Monday
Friday repeat Tuesday

Saturday and Sunday I’m not in town so I do KB work (swings and clean & press)

Main current goal: Maintain my level of muscle and strength or increase it over the next few weeks while I transition.

Normal, non-busy goal is a physique similar to Stephen Amell with the taper and killer shoulders and strength to back it up. So of course the normal goals of burn fat and build muscle that everyone has. Fat burning is normally my main, one goal but with the amount of stress I’m under I didn’t want to be in a caloric deficit because I want all the mental strength I have and I feel better when I eat more and healthier so that’s what I’m doing. So I’m in a surplus every day until I get settled. Maybe it’ll be better for me so I may stick to it and worry about the fat later.

Anyway… if anymore info is needed I’ll gladly offer it up.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Looks good to me. You’ve got little time, so you cut out all the bullshit. Could probably do some tricep/bicep isolation with the KB’s if you wanted.

It seems to be working for you, so follow it as long as this is the case. I’d probably just hit one lift each day:

Monday - squat
Tuesday - weighted pull ups
Wednesday - bench press
Thursday - deadlift
Friday - overhead press

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Or this

Thank you all for your input. I’m gonna stick with it and see how it turns out. I hit my 50% on bench so i think I’m getting stronger.

@Mark, i asked CT in a previous thread if 20MMB was appropriate for beginners and he said he doesn’t like it because beginners can’t really reap the benefits of heavy singles like more experienced lifters can. Though i feel like i have become more proficient and that i could see some benefit, i still don’t think it would benefit me as much as ramping to a heavy triple. And plus, 90% & 92% would be a pretty weak jump with my current numbers lol.

[quote]jgreene wrote:
Thank you all for your input. I’m gonna stick with it and see how it turns out. I hit my 50% on bench so i think I’m getting stronger.

@Mark, i asked CT in a previous thread if 20MMB was appropriate for beginners and he said he doesn’t like it because beginners can’t really reap the benefits of heavy singles like more experienced lifters can. Though i feel like i have become more proficient and that i could see some benefit, i still don’t think it would benefit me as much as ramping to a heavy triple. And plus, 90% & 92% would be a pretty weak jump with my current numbers lol. [/quote]

Good call. My bad, I should have read more carefully.