T Nation

High Fat v. High Carb & Physical Performance

It failed to show when I posted it as a Word document. I will try it in PDF.

Didn't work again. Forget about it.

So I have included some studies to look at because I can't show my chart.

I have more, but am only reviewing those published after 1999 for this report (aside from the work of Dr. Phinney which I've included in a conclusion and introduction).

NO bro science here.

Burke, L.M., Angus, D.J., Cox, G.R., Cummings, N.K., Febbraio, M.A., Gawthorn, K.,
Hawley, J.A., Minehan, M., Martin, D.T., & Hargreaves, M. (2000). Effect of fat adaptation and carbohydrate restoration on metabolism and performance during prolonged cycling. Journal of Applied Physiology, 89, 2413-2421

Burke, L.M., Hawley, J.A., Angus, D.J., Cox, G.R., Clark, S.A., Cummings, N.K.,
Desbrow, B., & Hargreaves, M. (2001). Adaptations to short-term high-fat diet persist during exercise despite high-carbohydrate availability. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 34, 83-91.

Carey, A.L., Staudacher, H.M., Cummings, N.K., Stepto, N.K., Nikolopoulos, V., Burke,
L.M., & Hawley, J.A. (2001) Effects of fat adaptation and carbohydrate restoration on prolonged endurance exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology, 91, 115-122.

Hoppeler, H., Billeter, R., Horvath, P.J., Leddy, J.J., & Pendergast, D.R (1999). Muscle
structure with low and high fat diets in well trained runners. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 20, 522-526.

Horvath, P.J., Eagen, C.K., Fisher, N.M., Leddy J.J., & Pendergast, D.R. (2000). The
effects of varying dietary fat on performance and metabolism in trained male and female runners. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 19, 52-60.

Johnson, N.A., Stannard, S.R., Mehalski, K., Trenell, M.I., Sachinwalla, T., Thompson,
C.H., & Thompson, M.W. (2003). Intramyocellular triacylglycerol in prolonged cycling with high- and low-carbohydrate availability. Journal of Applied Physiology, 94, 1365-1372.

Kavouras, S.A., Troup, J.P., & Berning, J.R. (2004). The influence of low versus high
carbohydrate diet on a 45-minute strenuous cycling exercise. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 14, 62-72.

Lambert, E.V., Speechly, D.P., Dennis, S.C., & Noakes, T.D. (1994). Enhanced
endurance intrained cyclists during moderate intensity exercise following 2 weeks adaptation to a high fat diet. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 69, 287-293.

Lambert, E.V., Goedecke, J.H., Van Zyl, C., Murphy, K., Hawley, J.A., Dennis, S.C. &
Noakes, T.D. (2001). High fat diet versus habitual diet prior to carbohydrate loading: effects on exercise metabolism and cycling performance. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 11, 209-225.

Muoio, D.M., Leddy, J.L., Horvath, P.J., Awad, A.B., & Pendergast, D.R. (1994) Effect
of dietary fat on metabolic adjustments to maximal VO2 and endurance runners. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 1, 81-88.

Phinney, S.D. (2004). Ketogenic diets and physical performance. Nutrition and
Metabolism, 1.

Pitsiladis, Y.P & Maughan R.J. (1996) Effects of alterations in dietary carbohydrate
intake on running performance during a 10 km treadmill time trial. Brown Journal of Sports Medicine, 30, 226-231.

Pitsiladis, Y.P. & Maughan R.J. (1999). The effects of alterations in dietary carbohydrate
intake on the performance of high intensity exercise in trained individuals. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 79, 443-442.

Pitsiladis, Y.P. & Maughan, R.J. (1999). The effects of exercise and diet manipulation on
the capacity to perform prolonged exercise in the heat and in the cold in trained humans. Journal of Applied Physiology, 517, 919-930.

Pitsiladis, Y.P., Smith, I., & Maughan, R.J. Increase fat availability enhances the capacity
of trained individuals to perform prolonged exercise. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 31, 1570-1579.

Robins, A.L., Davies, D.M. & Jones, G.E. (2005) The effect of nutritional manipulation
on ultra-endurance performance: a case study. Research in Sports Medicine, 13, 199-215.

Starling, R.D., Trappe, T.A., Parcell, A.C., Kerr, C.G., Fink, W.J., & Costill, D.L. (1997).
Effects of diet on muscle triglyceride and endurance performance. Journal of Applied Physiology, 82, 1185-1189.

Stavros, A.K., Troup, J.P. & Berning, J.R. (2004) The influence of low versus high
carbohydrate diet on a 45-min strenuous cycling exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 14, 62-72.

Staudacher, H.M., Carey, A.L., Cummings, N.K., Hawley, J.A. & Burke, L.M. Short-
term high fat diet alters substrate utilization during exercise but not glucose tolerance in highly trained athletes. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 11, 273-286.

Sterlingwerff, T., Spriet, L.L., Watt, M.J., Kimber, N.E., Hargreaves, M., Hawley, J.A. &
Burke, L.M. (2005). Decreased PDH activation and glycogenolysis during exercise following fat adaptation with carbohydrate restoration. American Journal of Applied Physiology, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, 290, 380-388.

Stepto, N.K., Carey, A.L., Staudacher, H.M., Cummings, N.K., Burke, L.M. & Hawley,
J.A. (2002) Effect of short-term fat adapatation on high-intensity training. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 3, 449-455.

Venkatraman, J.T., Feng, X. & Pendergast, D. (2001). Effects of dietary fat and
endurance exercise on plasma cortisol, prostaglandin E2, interferon-y and lipid peroxides in runners. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 20, 529-536.

Vogt, M., Puntschart, A., Howald, H., Mueller, B., Mannhart, C., Gfeller-Tuescher, L., Mullis, P., & Hoppeler, H. (2003). Effects of dietary fat on muscle substrates, metabolism, and performance in athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 35, 962-960.

Zderic, T.W., Davidson, C.J., Schenk, S., Byerley, L.O. & Coyle, E.F. (2003). High fat
diet elevates resting intramuscular triglyceride concentration and whole body lipolysis during exercise. American Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 286, 217-225.

open this file on your computer, make the chart large, then use the screenshot command and upload the screenshot...you computer illiterate babbling dietician!

I still can't figure it out.

So what's the bottom line? The suspense is killing me.

Is this your thesis bro? Cool - I want to read it. : )

They are most of the references for the thesis report. I will share with you when we get in touch or via email.

I just wanted to share the chart I made.

PCDude: The verdict? I don't know; I haven't thought of or written my conclusion or read other review studies. I'm doing that this week. These studies are only on endurance athletes (triathletes, duathletes, cyclists, rowers, and runners), and the study protocols vary widely (training schedules, performance trials and diets). Some of the diets are up to 65% fat and up to 75% CHO, which I don't like. Then again, this review is not about what I like and dislike for the most part.

Raj: Can I email it to you and you put it in screenshot?

just push the print screen button, open up MS paint then ctrl+V (paste) and there's your screenshot.

What Waylander said, but if you're still confused I'll PM you my email just in case

If you're on a mac the printscreen command is Command+Shift+3

Thank you. Please send. I don't do PMs anymore on my part though. You can email me with my contact info for my email address and FB information in my hub.

I tried what Way said, but it didn't work.

I'm on a PC.

done