High Fat/High Protein Diet...

“Fat” non responders…

This question goes out to anyone with either written data or observations. (2 part question)

1. Do you believe that some people will never respond well to a high fat/high protein, very low carb diet? I have spoken with a few athletes who have claimed this, and claim they respond better to a high protein, mod fat (from all "healthy sources) and moderate to low carbs?
    Any other observations to support this?

2. If you have seen the above, have any thoughts on what causes it? Some have claimed that these individuals are very leptin sensitive. I have no evidence to support this leptin claim, just showing one of the arguments I have heard.

Again, none of the people were suggesting a low fat diet, just that they responded better for fat loss to a mod to low carb intake, with fats coming mainly from fish oils, flax oils, etc.

It all depends on your definition of “responding”. Nobody ever really follows a diet plan to a tee so it’s difficult to say that you don’t respond to a certain plan.

Of course the argument can be made that a lot of people don’t follow a diet to the letter, but that doesn’t address the question.
Is there a specific reason that some may not do as well on a very low carb diet, such as carbs coming only from vegetables, compared to a diet, mod. fat, still high protein, yet using small amounts of “good carbs.” Like oatmeal.
If you like a CT’s Transformation article, he changes to something like this in phase two of his diet. Also, he talks about needing some carbs.

I’m trying to see if there is a measurable reason that some won’t do as well.

Take a look at an article by Christian Thibaudeau, The Beast Evolves. http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=256beast2

In phase one, he uses a very strict high fat, high protein, very low to zero carb diet. In phase two he still keeps protein high, keeps carbs at about 125 (still considered low), and fat around 70-100 grams.(not low fat) So basically in phase 2 he bumped up the good carbs, and reduced the fat slightly.
This is pretty much exactly what I am referring to.
Any ideas, personal experiences, etc?

A lot of people on my Dad’s side of the family (including myself a long time ago) have tried an Atkin’s type approach with minimal success. Losing bodyfat is very hard for me and those people. However, if I take in good carbs (nothing made by man essentially, had to grow into the form that I am eating it) then I can gain muscle like crazy and either keep bodyfat gain to a minimum or lose bodyfat depending on how I manipulate the diet and/or calories.

It truly comes down to YOU and nothing else. To answer your question, “I” can lose bodyfat at a better pace by keeping up with training/cardio work and eating carbs that I can if I do the exact same thing and DON’T eat carbs. For one thing, I can’t keep up the pace while training if I don’t have a decent amount of carbs. But, that’s just me. YMMV

I’m not qualified to give you detailed science behind why some wouldn’t respond, but I can tell you that Dr. Mauro DiPasquale who pioneered the Anabolic Diet, which cycles between very low carb/high fat on weekdays and carb loads over the weekends says that a certain pecentage just never seem to do as well. I don’t believe he says why which probably means he doesn’t know exactly either.

I can also tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that some people don’t allow sufficient time for the adaptive process to fully take place, but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re asking.

–Tiribulus->

Great response. I too remember reading that in his book.
I know it’s out there, I just trying to find a reason. The reason could be “no one truly knows.”

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I’m not qualified to give you detailed science behind why some wouldn’t respond, but I can tell you that Dr. Mauro DiPasquale who pioneered the Anabolic Diet, which cycles between very low carb/high fat on weekdays and carb loads over the weekends says that a certain pecentage just never seem to do as well. I don’t believe he says why which probably means he doesn’t know exactly either.

I can also tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that some people don’t allow sufficient time for the adaptive process to fully take place, but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re asking.

–Tiribulus->[/quote]

joel marion wrote about it,i dont know why but every time i try a high fat diet like the gsd 40/60 macro split i just get fatter i cant figure it out i have tried the gsd 3 times and followed to the letter with no success.