High Cholesterol

You are really clueless. Read the Cholesterol Myths by Uffe Ravnskov exlpoiting Framingham’s major errors… There are plently of others other than Mercola and Price (did you actually read his works? I guess not.) that cholesterol is not the true cause of cardiovascular disease… Also, alot of peer reviewed literatures or studies or whatever are biased to help the big pharma business. I wouldn’t be surprised if you get kickback from presribing medications that your patients don’t even need…

[quote]DocT wrote:
Hi, my name is the Framingham Heart Study. Please read me.

Yes, everything is a conspiracy and the vast peer reviewed literature is all false.

Go ahead. Take the word of somebody on the internet who quotes Mercola and Weston Price instead of peer reviewed and published literature.

Seminolechick, you’d get flamed because you spread the same nonsensical BS that you always have. Go eat some bacon grease with NeilG.[/quote]

LOL. I’m the clueless one?

I do this for a living. I take care of real people and have real resposibilities. I’m well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of Framingham. What exactly are your qualifications other than internet know it all?

And your conclusion is that I MUST be taking kickbacks from drug companies? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Calling that weak would be an understatement.

It’s funny that you can’t really quote literature that suggests an alternative to what I said, but you’re more than willing to quote internet “gurus”. That’s the definition of clueless.

[quote]DocT wrote:
LOL.
I do this for a living. I take care of real people and have real resposibilities…What exactly are your qualifications other than internet know it all?
[/quote]

Have you read “The House of God” as well? Some of us here also do this for a living, but do not have such a terribly disrespectful attitude. I hope this is not a reflection of your bedside manner. Good medicine fundamentally begins with the utmost of respect for others.

Oh yeah, I’m sure you know tons about nutrition!!! Oh please doctors didn’t even take one single nutrition class at all. Just because you’re doctor, that doesn’t mean you’re the shit. You’re just jealous of Mercola and others because you’re doing shitty jobs and so afraid that if majority of population do what Mercola and Price told them to do, you’d be out of job.

Yes, now I’m jealous, and I know nothing about nutrition. You’re two for two now.

Now, if you can follow a train of thought, we were talking about serum cholesterol and heart disease. We weren’t talking about nutrition, although I can hold my own there from what I’ve learned both in and out of med school. For you to assume that I know nothing is completely asinine. Now, if you care to refute anything or actually make an argument, I’m all ears. You’ve done neither so far.

And Chinadoll, you have no idea what you’re talking about. I was on this forum long before you ever were, and I’ve had to deal with listening to internet “experts” spout harmful babble for years now. My interaction with my patients and with other reasonable people is just fine, thank you.

Now, if anybody would like to actually address an issue or make an argument, it would be a welcome change of pace. If you’re going to assume things about me and just sling names, then you’ve already lost the argument.

WHOA!

Everybody pull in the claws and teeth!

Both “traditional” and “non-traditional” medicines have their places. Let me tell you…if I’m in a car accident, I CERTAINLY don’t want to be lying in the street and have someone tell me to drink only raw milk…and you can bet that if you and your family were caught in a populated, third world country, you’d think twice about having immunized your kids or having no access to antibiotics…

ON THE OTHER HAND, “traditional” medicine is oriented toward treatment of disease, with very little training in nutrition, disease prevention, health maintenance, or anti-aging. Quite frankly, there are MUCH better sources out there for these things than your Local doc…

The problem as I see it is that both “sides” are so intent on throwing hand grenades at each other, that they can’t hear each other for the noise! (This thread is just the tip of the iceberg that goes on a daily basis). The SMART person accepts tenets of BOTH “camps” and looks for that intersection between the two in order to maintain and keep optimal health…

So…I get immunized when needed…I’m always keeping myself up on the most recent medical advances…but at the same time I ALSO realize that trans-fatty acids (not cholesterol alone) are my worst cardiac enemies and that the best nutrition and anti-aging advice will NOT be found in a Medical Textbook…

I’ll listen to both what DocT has to say AND what Dr. Williams, Dr. Mercola (AND Seminole Chick!) have to say…make my choices…and I will GUARANTEE you that I will be much healthier in the end…

Close your mind and choose the consequences…the choice is yours…

(P.S. I’m a “traditional” Physician trained in an American Medical School and Training facility…)

Mufasa

[quote]DocT wrote:
I was on this forum long before you ever were, and I’ve had to deal with listening to internet “experts” spout harmful babble for years now.[/quote]

Fair enough, DocT

Mufasa, as usual you are a voice of reason…

Peace everyone…

I have found that Fish Oils are great for bringing down Triglycerides.

Tungsten.
Without getting into this arguement, all i did was to follow the reccomendations from ScottL and the rest of the guys. I cut out the eggs and bacon breakfasts and replaced them with a portion of oats and protein powder. I took and still take the multivit, vit C and E. For antioxidents i like to eat grapes ( red and green).I tried to find red yeast rice but i could only find it on the net and the prices were in dollars so i let that go. I also include Udo’s choice into my diet, i get that from GNC a bit pricey.I have also stopped frying my food altogether and only add olive oil when i want it on my food.
I also included a lot of cardio in the form of cycling.I got my mountain bike from the shed and rode it and still ride it everywhere and in any type of weather.To the gym etc.Anywhere i went to on my own i rode the bike, not just at a steady pace but flat out to raise my heart rate.
I still haven’t been able to get the full run down on my tests but the doctor doesn’t want to see me anymore so it must be good( that means no statins).I will still have my regular wellman tests.
BTW. when i had my b/test they checked my pressure and told me it was excellent - 104/62 i think or was it 102/64 anyway they assured me it was excellent.
Nobby

Nobby-

Thanks. I was just curious. I’m not sure about the eggs part though. it doesn’t really increase your cholesterol level all that much. Cholesterol is merely more of a marker of something else is going on but trying to get it to as low as possible can backfire on you because you need them for health. It’s actually a protective substance. I’m surprised not one person mentioned lipoprotein A or Lp(a) for short which is a component of LDL which is what everyone needs to worry about, not the total cholesterol level. it’s responsible for plaque forming and saturated fat can actually lower it. Also, does anyone know the biggest difference between human, apes, and very few other mammals and the rest of other mammals? The ability to produce their own vitamin C. A goat for an example can produce between 3g and 15g a day depending on the conditions. Humans lack one enzyme needed to convert blood glucose to vitamin C in the liver so that’s why we have high level of Lp(a). The lower we consume Vit C, the worse Lp(a) is. The mammals that can produce their own vitamin C doesn’t have very much Lp(a) in their system because of high level of Vit C in the bloodstream and they don’t have plaque forming in the arteries like we do. If you already have plaque in the arteries, this changes though because you need something else in additional to Vit C to help improve the condition. If you want more information on this, send me PM because there’s too much info to be posted on this. The diet is the key though. If you follow something similar to Dr Mercola or Price’s recommendation, the need for vitamin C is reduced greatly, about 2-3g a day assuming you don’t have other health problems. The triglycerides will also be greatly reduced due to lower amount of carbs (it has to do with keeping the insulin level under control. It might be the key to the whole thing).

Mafusa, I agree with you about both types of medicine being practiced. We do need to find the middle ground but it’s getting to be impossible with the big pharm businesses getting in the way so they could make billions of dollars. Statin drugs alone accounts for 15 billions dollars and will keep going up because there are a lot more people that have no clue how it really works and will blindly follow doctor’s instructions. it doesn’t help that the new cholesterol guideline is making it worse. I don’t have anything against modern medicine in general but I do have a big problem with the way they treat chronic diseases and not really all about trying to find the root cause of the problems to the health problems and acts like they know everything about nutrition when clearly they don’t have a clue. A perfect example, my father in law was diagnosed with diabetes not too long ago. Do you know what his doctor told him? Eat plently of carbohyrates!? Jeez…