T Nation

High Cholesterol Before Cycle

Hey Gang,

I’m 39 and was about to start a 12 week cycle with test e (650mg/wk) and deca (250mg/wk). Went to the doc to get blood tests prior and came back with high cholesterol/triglyceride levels (on a side note my overall T level was 422 and Free test was 13.9… they would NOT test my estradiol levels however).

They prescribed me Vytorin (a cholesterol reducing drug) and asked me to come back in six weeks to get blood tested again. I haven’t filled the prescription yet and was curious about what direction to go next.

I could hold off on the vytorin until after my cycle, or run the cycle after the vytorin, or run them concurrently (but I’m more nervous about that because my doc isn’t down with test and I’d really want some good advice about what trouble that might cause).

Any ideas on how you would time these out would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gigunda

What were your numbers? What dose were you given for the vytorin? Have you been on any statins before this?

If your cholesterol is already high, than while on cycle those number will more than likely be higher. Why wouldn’t you fill it and run the statin while on cycle?

My numbers are high normally, and crazy high when on. Take the Vytorin to keep things relatively in check, and of course recheck your number when you come off. I don’t see the dilemma.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback…

I’ve never been on any cholesterol medication before, statin or otherwise. Doc is starting me on vytorin 10/20 (said it was a typical starting dose) and wanted to see how it affects me (side effects, liver values, cholesterol levels).

They are sending me the lab results in the mail. I can’t remember specifics, but they told me my LDL was moderately high and the HDL was moderately low. The triglycerides were high ~ in the upper 300’s.

I was concerned about a couple things:

• my liver health (doc said vytorin blocks the absorption of cholesterol and it’s eliminated through the liver)
  • if i go back in for a blood test while mid cycle, it may appear that the med isn’t working when it really may be

5.0, do you take a cholesterol med while you’re on?

Thanks again,
Gigunda

Yes. I was taking simvastatin, 20mg, since my total cholesterol was about 240, with a horrible good to bad ratio. On cycle, the numbers came down to 180.

My last cycle, I had the numbers checked while on, and my total cholesterol was up to 320! Of course my cycle was different, I had been on for a while, and I was taking oral winny, too, which I know contributed to it. I ended up having to change to Crestor, which is reportedly much better. And way more expensive.

I haven’t had my numbers checked since, though, but I’m due…

Okay just a little clarification. Vytorin is Zetia and Zocor combined. So thats 10mg of Ezetimbe (Zetia) which is "blocks" the intestinal absorption of cholesterol. Your simvastatin dose is 20mg, which is the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor. 
Vytorin can affect your liver values, but as long as you are not taking orals, you should be fine. I would stick to shorter cycles if I were to recommend anything (which I am not). Like 6wks of "on" time or less. You also need to change your diet, because that will make a difference. Oats and vegetables (I prefer raw in both) in frequent amounts while cutting out the bad stuff. Also get a good fish oil supplement. Please post your exact numbers when you get them, as they can provide some clues that can help more. 

[quote]5.0 wrote:
And way more expensive.

[/quote]

Looks like you can switch to the generic soon, though, 2016! = )

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:
5.0 wrote:
And way more expensive.

Looks like you can switch to the generic soon, though, 2016! = )[/quote]

Hey, right around the corner…Yahoo!

Ah yes the bad cholesterol club.
gigunda absolutely no reason not to start your therapy right away. Its true the statins have some sides that hit us all differently. I was on Lipitor for years myself. The liver issue is remote and since your OP didn’t mentioned any 17AA orals I’d worry even less. 5.0 is right that for most of us HDL goes down and LDL goes up on cycle but not nearly to the extent these statins work at. At worst the AAS will slightly reduce you optimal results.

[quote]5.0 wrote:
Yes. I was taking simvastatin, 20mg, since my total cholesterol was about 240, with a horrible good to bad ratio. On cycle, the numbers came down to 180.

My last cycle, I had the numbers checked while on, and my total cholesterol was up to 320! Of course my cycle was different, I had been on for a while, and I was taking oral winny, too, which I know contributed to it. I ended up having to change to Crestor, which is reportedly much better. And way more expensive.

I haven’t had my numbers checked since, though, but I’m due… [/quote]

320 huh. Im not surprised McDonalds King :wink:

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback.

Gigunda

OP: After I cut out all known trans fats my tri levels went to normal for the first time in my life, my total was still high with a bad ratio. Did the Doc ask about family history? Their isn’t any history of heart attacks or stroke in the High Choles side of my family only cancer/accident/etc and every one makes it into their 80-90s. My older GP told me that my family just lives with high levels. I’ve heard that the total ‘safe’ level might be lowered to 180!
Phileaux