High-Carbs for Ectos

Is anyone eating high carbs anymore? So much gets aimed towards getting people to eat fewer carbs, but the naturally insulin sensitive of us out there stagnate on these kinds of diets. I read from Thibaudeau and Poliquin of how ectomorphs can and should be eating 60% of their total calories from carbohydrates, and I’m wondering if any out there is eating anything like this, as those numbers are . . . well, that’s just a ton of carbs.

With nutrient timing thrown into the mix, it’s a question of when and where these carbs are coming into play as well. You can’t get 600 carbs in on a 4000 calorie diet within breakfast and two post-workout meals, meaning a lot of carbs every meal(6 meals/day divided by 600 carbs/day = 100 carbs/meal). Is this bad, how it flies in the face of nutrient timing? Or perfectly fine for ectos, who don’t worry over fat gain?

First of all, for your own good, don’t use the term “ectomorph” around here. Secondly, don’t worry about carbs too much. Try to avoid them before bedtime, but if you find yourself having trouble putting on weight, rack 'em in whenever you can. You’re just overthinking it. Again, if weight gaining is the goal, make sure to get a good amount of carbs at each and every meal; slow-burning pre-workout and fast-burning after your workout.

Insulin sensitivity, ecto, nutrient timing? Just eat dude. If you get fat eating a ton of carbs, change up your diet. If it works, keep doing it.

it depends what you are trying to accomplish,

if you are trying to cut then all 3 classes will eat few carbs, if you are trying to bulk then all 3 classes will eat higher carbs,

there arent any magical rules that fall under ectos

ignore the low-carb nazi’s around here, eating carbs is perfectly fine. Just make sure to get enough protein and healthy fats while your at it and keep training hard to put on muscle.

also, there’s no need to limit carbs before bed either, they can help you fall asleep and retain muscle during your overnight fast.

I love carbs omnomnom

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
I love carbs omnomnom[/quote]

lol, is that the sound of you eating carbs?

To a t.

I try to avoid sugar but the truth is I can’t shovel in enough calories unless I’m eating lots of carbs (eg: giant spagettie dinner) AND lots of fats (olive oil in my protein shakes, peanut butter after each solid meal).

Morphological body typing = bullshit, and the last thing you should worry about.

Worry about results.

Two things to do.

1.) Dont listen to 90% of the people on here. Most are trolls and wont offer you any useful advice.

2.) Read up on nutrient timing. The book “nutrient timing” is great, and you should be able to find it pretty cheap.

It never hurts to know too much. Sure you’ll get flamed on here for using technical terms like ecto and insulin sensitivity, but if you can block out the useless flaming then its worth it to learn more.

Recently I started to relax on my eating a bit, but focus more on nutrient timing around my workouts. I wasn’t doing anything too technical, but just trying to get in carbs during my workout, and some carbs and protein after my workouts. For me, this has been a gatorade during my workouts and chocolate milk after my workouts.

So far its produced noticible results, but I will say that I cant give all the credit to nutrient timing, because ive been doing 2-adays, and some training that my body isn’t used to.

But, with just the simple methods ive been using, i was able to work out very hard and recover, and lose some fat and gain some muscle.

After reading “nutrient timing”, im now more prepared to take it to the next level.

Im going to follow the guidelines in the book and experiment with higher amounds of carbs at key times, and not adjust based on progress.

I think for a lot of us that genetically average, nutrient timing is one of the easiest and most effective methods of achiveing your goals (whatever those might be) I myself simply dont want to eat more than I already do, so ive accepted that im going to stay somewhere near my current weight for quite a while.

That doesn’t mean I cant add muscle and burn fat (not optimal maybe, but it will work for me) So for me, who is comfortable with the amount I eat and the weight im at, nutrient timing is really the only efficient method of improving my body composition.

Its pretty simple and logical:

We all know that if your not gaining weight, you are not taking in enough calories.

But simply eating more, even the “right foods” doesn’t necessarily mean your going to gain muscle, as you might gain fat and muscle, or just fat.

But with nutrient timing, if your not gaining muscle, then its pretty clear that your not taking in enough carbs and protein at the right times (assuming your training is in order).

And if your gaining muscle but a little too much fat, then you cut down on the amount of all nutrients at the times when they are not needed as much.

So what im getting at, is that although some people can just follow the simple-minded advice of people on here to, “train hard and eat”, but for others this will not be enough, and you may need to educate yourself better.

So try higher carbs and see what it does for you. Even better, follow the recomendations of nutrient timing and eat those carbs when they are going to be most beneficial. If it works keep doing it, if not change it up.

Just see how you respond to high-carbs. That’s the only true way to tell. We can’t tell you how your body will respond… only you can figure that out.

One ecto is not the same as another ecto. Just because you’re an ectomorph doesn’t mean you will respond the same way to carbs as another.

I eat a ton of crabs, works for me! but only starting making gains when i starting eating a higher ammount of fat aswell… like previously said a million times, eat sleep lift

[quote]xivb4m wrote:
I eat a ton of crabs, works for me! [/quote]

That’s just disgusting…I mean it’s one thing to eat pussy…but to eat the crabs along with it? I mean seriously, there are better sources of protein.

haha had to edit that one!

there is a magical rule that applies to ectos, its called “eating whatever the fuck you want”.

heres everything you need to know about nutrient timing,

eat when youre hungry.

ill tell you something man, you can take it the easy way or the hard way. the easy way is you play it smart, eat meats, pasta, potatoes, rice, chicken, eggs, milk, fish, cheese and nuts.

the hard way is get really over involved in some diet plan and start really over analyzing things.

1 more thing, where the hell are you gettin 600 carbs out of 3 meals? just eat your damn food.

Carbs are fine, just aviod sugar imo

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Carbs are fine, just aviod sugar imo[/quote]

Wrongo!

if you eat a high carb high protein high fat diet and train heavy…

you’ll probably grow

[quote]dankid wrote:
Two things to do.

1.) Dont listen to 90% of the people on here. Most are trolls and wont offer you any useful advice.

2.) Read up on nutrient timing. The book “nutrient timing” is great, and you should be able to find it pretty cheap.

It never hurts to know too much. Sure you’ll get flamed on here for using technical terms like ecto and insulin sensitivity, but if you can block out the useless flaming then its worth it to learn more.

Recently I started to relax on my eating a bit, but focus more on nutrient timing around my workouts. I wasn’t doing anything too technical, but just trying to get in carbs during my workout, and some carbs and protein after my workouts. For me, this has been a gatorade during my workouts and chocolate milk after my workouts.

So far its produced noticible results, but I will say that I cant give all the credit to nutrient timing, because ive been doing 2-adays, and some training that my body isn’t used to.

But, with just the simple methods ive been using, i was able to work out very hard and recover, and lose some fat and gain some muscle.

After reading “nutrient timing”, im now more prepared to take it to the next level.

Im going to follow the guidelines in the book and experiment with higher amounds of carbs at key times, and not adjust based on progress.

I think for a lot of us that genetically average, nutrient timing is one of the easiest and most effective methods of achiveing your goals (whatever those might be) I myself simply dont want to eat more than I already do, so ive accepted that im going to stay somewhere near my current weight for quite a while.

That doesn’t mean I cant add muscle and burn fat (not optimal maybe, but it will work for me) So for me, who is comfortable with the amount I eat and the weight im at, nutrient timing is really the only efficient method of improving my body composition.

Its pretty simple and logical:

We all know that if your not gaining weight, you are not taking in enough calories.

But simply eating more, even the “right foods” doesn’t necessarily mean your going to gain muscle, as you might gain fat and muscle, or just fat.

But with nutrient timing, if your not gaining muscle, then its pretty clear that your not taking in enough carbs and protein at the right times (assuming your training is in order).

And if your gaining muscle but a little too much fat, then you cut down on the amount of all nutrients at the times when they are not needed as much.

So what im getting at, is that although some people can just follow the simple-minded advice of people on here to, “train hard and eat”, but for others this will not be enough, and you may need to educate yourself better.

So try higher carbs and see what it does for you. Even better, follow the recomendations of nutrient timing and eat those carbs when they are going to be most beneficial. If it works keep doing it, if not change it up.[/quote]

Actually yes, it can hurt to “know” too much. The OP probably weighs 160 lbs (he is a self-proclaimed ecto). His problem is not that he is putting on too much fat for what he is eating or his insulin sensitivity isn’t down pat. He just needs to eat good food and put up heavier weight each weak on compound lifts, and you don’t need scientific terms to do that. You can talk about nutrient timing and drink your chocolate milk and gatorade around workouts (wow what a difference maker, no one else here drinks pre/post workout shakes) but KISS will work much better for him and other beginners. Keep it simple stupid.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
ignore the low-carb nazi’s around here, eating carbs is perfectly fine. Just make sure to get enough protein and healthy fats while your at it and keep training hard to put on muscle.

also, there’s no need to limit carbs before bed either, they can help you fall asleep and retain muscle during your overnight fast.[/quote]

Bingo.