High Carbs Affect My Progress, Strength Decreased

Hello, I have 2 weeks since I’ve increased my caloric intake with 1000 calories from carbs. Protein and fats are the same like before… I eat 2g protein / kg …and fat 1g / kg . The problem is my strength has decreased a lot and I don’t know why. Its weird because I eat more carbs, more calories, i should grow, not to decrease …

Height?
Weight?
Age?
Workout program?
Smoke/drink?
How much sleep do you get?
What do you do for work?
And how many calories are you eating now?

2 Likes

Has your training or sleep changed in ANY way? What is “a lot”?

No, the sleep and training are the same. The protein and fat are the same, 2g protein / kg and 1g fat / kg. The only thing that i changed is eating more carbs. My training routine is pull / legs / push. I’ve dropped -10kg on the bar… I noticed last Friday on push day at bench. Also, Monday I noticed my pull ups number decreased, and today at squats the same thing, -10kg… I can’t understand what happened…

If you changed literally nothing but carb consumption, I’d say drop your carb consumption in the opposite direction and offset that deficit with fats and proteins and see how you do. There have been studies showing that certain people experience a positive relationship between fatigue and carb consumption. Ockham’s Razor would apply here a little bit - if you only changed one thing and feel different…

2 Likes

Forget strength for a moment–do you feel any different in terms of energy, mood, tiredness, etc?

1 Like

This is a great point- rereading his post he actually doesn’t mention how he feels, only that he may be having a bad day or days in the gym- which happens to us all.

1 Like

My mood has changed in a negative way. I feel tired, nervous, brain fog feeling. I can’t concentrate on anything…

Carbs are not doing that.

1 Like

What are your carb sources?

Oats, whole bread, rice, potatoes, fruits, honey and some biscuits. I eat simple carbs just post workout.

These questions are all very relevant.

Most especially height, weight, (general bodyfat), total calories, and training (especially daily volume and any conditioning).

Also, how has your bodyweight changed in these last two weeks?

1 Like

It’s possible they’re not, but overconsumption of carbs can mess with some people’s blood sugar, and he’s definitely describing symptoms of that. Still, he didn’t answer any of my questions so there’s no way for us to know anything for sure here.

250 g of carbs is not a lot. Even then the only symptom a have seen would be tiredness after the meal but, that would be along other symptoms. Nervousness, brain fog, can’t concentrate because of carbs? Seems more like he is over doing the training without proper nutrition/rest but, without further answers it is just guessing.

If he was already eating 500g it is. If he’s skinny-fat it is. If he’s training 3 or 4 days a week with no cardio it is. Agreed, we need more info to give more useful advice.

I solved the problem. Too many carbs for my weight (60 kg). My blood sugar went too high. I realized that is important to calculate calories according to weight and everything has to be done gradually, even i’m a hardgainer… And yes, my training routine is just 3 days / week with no cardio… only 3 days because I have a heavy recovery of the central nervous system, and i can’t train two days in a row. I tried all training types and this is the best for me. Thanks for help.

THANKS FOR THE CREDIT BRAH

1 Like

Also, while I’m a believer in CT’s neurotypes and the idea that optimal frequency differs from person to person, you’re sitting at 130 lbs, and I guarantee it’s a non-muscular 130 lbs. To be blunt, your “heavy recovery” may just be weakness. If you are a healthy adult male under the age of 60 (had 50 here but I got yo back @eyedentist ) you should be able to manage cardio with a 3 day weight lifting program.

2 Likes

Yeah, somehow my approaching-60 nervous system manages to sustain daily weightlifting, cardio, etc. Not to mention, you know, sending impulses up and down my spine to keep me vertical and breathing.

3 Likes

Mixing up carbs and fats is a nightmare from a biochemistry standpoint. That’s no-no n°1 for lifters. So if you raise carbs significantly you have to halve the fats, or whatever is needed to keep the calories constant and adapt to the new macros.

You may also have an immune reaction to some of those carbs; oats may have gluten, wheat has gluten and Fructans, potatoes have oxalates, starch in general is an oligosaccharide that is hard to break down for some. Biscuits = junk food that poisons our kids. Fructose mixes very poorly with fats.