High-Carb Fat Loss with Type 2 Diabetes?

Hi Dr. Darden,

Loaned two of your books to a friend, suggested he give them a try. He called and said they’re high carb – won’t work for someone who has “T2 Diabetes”? Is that true? Thought that was simply about fat loss?

My fat-loss diets are composed of 50% carbohydrates, 25% fats, and 25% proteins. But they are all low in calories: from 1600 to 1200. I’ve worked with many over-fat people who suffered from T2 diabetes. Such people have not had problems with my diet . . . and they lose fat and build muscle from the overall program.

But a person with T2 diabetes should always check with his physician before going on my diet, or any other diet.

Higher dietary fat levels in the blood causes insulin resistance by interfering with glucose transport into the muscles.

There are few biological steps between dietary fat and cellular fat.

Good post. I just listened to a great podcast with Dr. Joel Fuhrman that explains the biological issues with higher dietary (SFAs especially) and external insulin resistance in addition to the processes/issues with insulin resistance inside the cell.