High Blood Pressure

I went in for a physical and my doctor noticed i had high blood pressure (140/90). (I bought a BP monitor and confirmed it was the levels were pretty consistent from day to day).

The doc had me take a chest X-ray and an EKG (laying down). My heart seemed slightly enlarged (probably because of the hbp, she said) so I was asked to do a running EKG.

I did it and although the blood pressure was higher than normal, it seemed that my heart’s reponse was pretty normal: pulse rate went up, systolic pressure went up and diastolic went down.

1’m 25, I lift 3 times a week and do cardio 3-4 times a week. I eat relatively well, that is, my meals are balanced. My cholesterol is normal. My job hasn’t been more stressful than it’s been in the past. There is no family history of high blood pressure.

There’s no reason why I should have high blood pressure!

My doc suggested that heavy lifting may be the cause … I don’t know what to say!

Fish Oils.

Hawthorne Berry.

The fish oils should help a TON and be a daily supp. any way. The hawthorne berry is said to help with BP probs.

Your BP isnt really that high yet. Your Dr. will probably try “lifestyle management” first, then proceed to prescribe hctz or ace II inhibitors or both. Left ventricular hypertrophy is a normal adaptive process for BB’s. Your body isnt the only thing that gets bigger when you do.

However, it is also happens to those with high BP. When it becomes overly hypertrophied it will lose its contractility and distensibility. You have essential hypertension, which is idiopathic (complex or unknown)in nature. So, you don’t necessarily have to have genetic predisposition.

The contributing factors are age, race, family history, high salt intake, obesity, alcohol consumption, hyperinsulinemia, and especially aas use.

How big is your upper arm?

-Dan

wolar32

"Left ventricular hypertrophy is a normal adaptive process for BB’s. Your body isnt the only thing that gets bigger when you do.
"

I had not read that before, what is your source? I

“Your Dr. will probably try “lifestyle management” first, then proceed to prescribe hctz or ace II inhibitors or both.”

First thing my doctor asked was whether I could change from a Type A to Type B personality… I looked at her somewhat confused… I didn’t know that was something you could change! No matter what slow drivers in the fast lane is going to infuriate me…

Besides that I’ve been taking more omega 3s (flaxseed oil pills and lots more fish), way less sodium and ACE inhibitors… blood pressure is now down to between 135/85 and 130/80.

Buffalo: 15.75 and 16. Does arm size have something to do with BP…?

[quote]danh wrote:
Buffalo: 15.75 and 16. Does arm size have something to do with BP…?[/quote]

Sometimes arm circumference is overlooked by nurses or assistants because they aren’t used to treating bodybuilders. I have to use a thigh cuff to get my BP taken. If I were to use a smaller cuff, I would get a high reading.

If a cuff is too large, you get a lower reading than reality. If the cuff is too small, you get a higher one.