T Nation

High Blood Pressure

Hey my fellow T-men, I have an important question that I need some quality answers for, so of course, I come to you. I have a buddy who’s looking to play college baseball, he’s 18 years old, 5’9", 170 lbs. I’d say he’s around 10% bf. He also has suprisingly high blood pressure. His doctor has advised him not to lift heavy, but he wants to add more power to his hitting, and also wants to gain mass. Up to this point he’s been just doing resistance training and high rep workouts, so he has a strong physique, but he really wants to improve on overall size and strength. From what I have gathered from this site so far is that NO ONE recommends taking prescription drugs to “fix” these kinds of problems, because of the side effects and whatnot. I was hoping that some of you out there had some suggestions for him, maybe on what causes it (he has 4 brothers, none of which have high bp), supplements he can take to lower his blood pressure, foods he can eat to add mass without affecting his bp (i.e., no sodium) or ways to improve his strength. I’d really appreciate everyone’s opinions!

I personally know of no way to lower blood pressure through natural supplemental means when someone is already at their desired weight and training. Not saying they don’t exist, but thus far I have not seen any! Therefore:

http://www.altace.com/index.asp?at=GOO

or:

Couple of questions:

What is “high” in this instance?
Is his BP high all the time?

There are all the other common questions but your friend sounds to be too young to be suffering from a high BP. There is of course overtraining & dehydration. I can’t see how the diet of an 18 year old could cause high bp if he is indeed at a decent bodweight/fat ratio. Unless sodium is thru the roof but even then just doesn’t seem likely to me.

As far as natural supp. goes, i’ve used hawthorn berry to keep my bp level down during a cycle of m1t. Hope that helps.

Croooz:
His BP remains steady at 145/85. If he uses sodium at all, it’s only in very small quantities. He doesn’t overtrain, because his doctors have advised him to only work light.

No Mercy:
Do you think hawthorn berry would help him if he’s not taking anything? He only uses protein as a PWO supp.

He eats very well; he rarely eats fast food, has quality home cooked meals, never eats cafeteria food…No one can seem to put a finger on it, except to say that “it’s just one of those things”. I don’t like that answer, hopefully it’s not the right one. Keep 'em coming guys.

Does he take any supplements? Fat burners?

Does he take any meds? Especially like ADD meds?

How many caffeine containing products does he consume per day?

Does he only get his BP checked at the doctor’s office?

Ca/Mg supps can help with BP in some people. Try to keep a 2:1 Ca/Mg ratio. Also, try to increase potassium in relation to sodium. Using salt substitute (KCl) as opposed to regular salt (NaCl) is an easy way to add potassium to the diet as pills can only contain 99mg where the daily need is 3500mg or more.

[quote]The Jer wrote:
Hey my fellow T-men, I have an important question that I need some quality answers for, so of course, I come to you. I have a buddy who’s looking to play college baseball, he’s 18 years old, 5’9", 170 lbs. I’d say he’s around 10% bf. He also has suprisingly high blood pressure. His doctor has advised him not to lift heavy, but he wants to add more power to his hitting, and also wants to gain mass. Up to this point he’s been just doing resistance training and high rep workouts, so he has a strong physique, but he really wants to improve on overall size and strength. From what I have gathered from this site so far is that NO ONE recommends taking prescription drugs to “fix” these kinds of problems, because of the side effects and whatnot. I was hoping that some of you out there had some suggestions for him, maybe on what causes it (he has 4 brothers, none of which have high bp), supplements he can take to lower his blood pressure, foods he can eat to add mass without affecting his bp (i.e., no sodium) or ways to improve his strength. I’d really appreciate everyone’s opinions![/quote]

I personally would never try to give anyone “supplemental help” with high blood pressure, especially over the internet. I do think that many physicians immediately blame weight lifting for any problems if the patient happens to be an athlete or looks like they lift. Because of that, you may want to recommend he finds another doctor. “Surprisingly high” blood pressure doesn’t sound good. I am not sure what that is exactly because you have given us no numbers. Considering his size (which isn’t that much removed from average), it brings into question what he might be doing to cause that situation, whether through his eating/training habits or his “supplemental” habits. When dealing with this aspect of someone’s health, you don’t find ways to bypass your doctor. You find ways to work with him. Either rely on your doctor’s advice, or find another and get a second opinion.

What the hell is “suprisingly high blood pressure”?

BP is 80% genetic, food habits and seditary levels can alter this for the worst or the best. Sounds like he got the s end of the stick for genes. My ol lady sells lipitor so this is pretty close to home. She actually uses it and is very much into bodybuilding. Her case is also genetic.

He is awful young for BP that high. I have BP problems but I am 30 yrs. senior. I got my BP under control with Benecar (prescription) and a few changes in lifestyle. Does your friend smoke? This will cause a huge BP difference in a lot of people and quitting can make an immediate difference. For supplements I take:

2000 mg Vitamin C Daily
2000 mg Flaxseed Daily
2000 mg Fish Oil Daily
Salmon 1-2 times a week
2-3 scoops (minimum) Low-Carb Grow!
2 scoops Surge (PWO)

I exercise daily and lift 3-4 times a week. I also lost about 30 lbs. This has helped me drop my blood pressure radically and it is now on the low end of “normal”.

I can’t recommend it for anyone else but I also take HOT-ROX, 4-AD-EC, Methoxy-7, M, Alpha Male, MAG-10 and I am waiting to try Spike. I have never had a problem with any of these or my BP. I also lift as heavy as possible most of the time.

He may want to see another doctor for a second opinion, as his BP is quite high even for his age. Also, I would ask another doctor about the lifting question. Most doctors recommend exercise, cardio and lifting as way to reduce BP.

I agree with X…get your doc. His BP is high but why not take Benacar and get to the root of the problem. He’s not overweight and his diet’s okay then what da problem is??? It sounds to me like recreational drugs…oops I mean supplementation. Have your friend be honest and take the docs advise. If he is being honest then BP meds are in his future. He needs to evaluate VERY closely what it is he’s taking, food and otherwise.