T Nation

High Bar Squats Vs. Low Bar Squats

Hi,

I was wondering what's the difference between these two if I wanted to train mainly for athletic purposes. (I.e. Vertical Jump) I heard that the low bar setting emphasizes the posterior chain more (which is probably more important for vertical jump)

Why not just do low-bar squats to guarantee that you get all the p-chain work you need?

I also find low-bar squats to be safer for my lower-back.

front squat.

I’m asking because, in the DeFranco WS4SB article, I see ‘high bar olympic squats’ on the ME list for lower body. I also know the possibilities are endless but maybe DeFranco believes they are better than low bar squats?

I also watched the videos and it seems like most of his athletes use a high bar setting with exception to a few when they squat. Again, maybe I’m thinking too much lol.

I’m asking because, in the DeFranco WS4SB article, I see ‘high bar olympic squats’ on the ME list for lower body. I also know the possibilities are endless but maybe DeFranco believes they are better than low bar squats?

I also watched the videos and it seems like most of his athletes use a high bar setting with exception to a few when they squat. Again, maybe I’m thinking too much lol.

What’s most comfortable for you?

I think front squats pwn anything. I mean no room for error you are required to keep upright or what happens? The bar will slip.

I say why not rotate each every so often. Won’t hurt and surely won’t hurt your gains

I find low bar squats more comfortable on the back. However, I squat ATG till I am about 4" from the ground and sometimes when I am getting fatigued or the weight is heavy, my lower back rounds, so ok, my point is if I can use a high bar squat and it actually helps keep my lower back (safer) good, then maybe it’s worth it. Since I’m training for athletic purposes mainly.