hiding cod liver oils bad taste

woh, thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, obviously most of you live in america as i’ve just come into work and found about 10 new posts on the strand. Anyway to answer some of the questions, i looked into toxic levels of vit A and multiple papers say that 6,000 IU/day isn’t anywhere near toxic (my oil supplies 2,000IU/10ml).

Beradi suggests getiing 6-10g of EPA/DHA per day and my high strength oil has 2.3g of EPA/DHA per 10ml so that is the reason i went with the oil, i’ll try and track down those high strength caplets that were mentioned as that would makes things a lot easier.

penultimately, finding and buying cheap supplements is a nightmare. I envy you americans who have so much choice and cheap prices, for example mag-10 here costs at least ?75 or $120 per bottle!!, i found it at half that price in america.

and finally, i found a way to take cod liver oil and it came from the strangest source, my girlfriends parents!, so here’s the secret and it works very well

get a glass screw top jar

put twice as much fresh orange in as codliver oil,

screw lid on and shake like mad (the jar, that is!)

quickly open lid and down it in one, i imagine that i am drinking tequila (which i hate) so my body doesn’t even try to taste it, sip some water to remove any residual taste.

please try this if anyone takes the evil liquid form and thanks to everyone for their help, STU K

This thread almost got away before I could respond. Using the above numbers, I calculated a daily intake of ten tablespoons of cod liver oil to get the 6 grams of EPA/DHA (I may be completely off on this, but it’s late, I’m tired, and I lost 5 pounds this weekend due to the flu, so I’m going to bed now :slight_smile: ). Now do you see where I’m coming from? That would certainly put someone in the red zone for excessive amounts of vitamin A, especially over a prolonged period of intake. If my numbers were off, then it was my mistake. Any input?

Yeah, ten would be kind of excessive, but you don’t need as many as that, cod liver oil is higher in Omega 3 than salmon oil, around 1.5 gr per 10 ml I think, so that’s just a little more than 3 tablespoons to get the 6 gr. Anyway, I believe it’s better to get some from whole foods too.

demo, cheers for the reply but i think you must be tired and ill;)

at 2.3g per 10ml i need 30ml per day to get almost 7g, so that’s 3 tbsp or 6 teaspoon.

i agree that taking 20,000IU of vit A per day (10tbsp) would be dodgy in some cases but i’m only getting 6,000IU from the 3tbsp.

cheers for the reply though, STU K