Hiatus And My Bones

not exactly a bout of lethargy… but i haven’t been lifting too much since the last few days… reason? too much partying…

its not that i haven’t been hitting the weights properly (i even got a few measly lbs on my previous lifts), just that the frequency of hitting the gym (and overall locomotion) went low…

but, since the last 2 days, my bones have been aching like hell… i dunno whats the problem, since nutrition (during daylit hours, at least) is alright, and i’m taking my fish oils and joint supplement too…
was wondering if this was a weather change thing or not…

input appreciated.

Maybe you have gout? Large amounts of alcohol and or protein consumption can cause high levels of uric acid in the blood which can lead to gout. But thats a joint problem I’ve never had my bones ache before.

Hey dude, i had similar issues. For me, the partying made my body adapt to a new homeostasis of reduced joint movment and muscular work. tons of alcohol, not working out at all, lack of sleep and more sex than a human being deserves to have in one lifetime (ever been to brazil? OMG).

In other words, my body (and my mind) got lazy. so, when i returned to the states, i was in the weight room doing my pre-partying routine, and my joints signaled to me it was a bad idea to continue because it wasn?t used to that kind of work anymore. Long story short, i did the following:

a. reduce/cut out alcohol intake to pre-party levels. Me likes my beer indeed, but i decided to take it easy. (Our livers work hard to dehydrogenate alcohol because ETOH doesn?t belong in the body. So, why abuse our body and the only liver we got, you know?)

b. returned food and fluid intake to pre-party levels and added changes to diet to address whatever issue, joint issues in this case (more good fats, water, and joint support supps).

c. returned to weight room not with thought of continuing where i left off, but to allow RE-ADAPTATION to movement (joints) and work (muscles) it was once used to performing. Just by moving more, a healthy joint naturally lubes itself. Just by exerting more force on a muscle, a healthy muscle strengthens. After doing light weights for 3 weeks, i didn?t have any discomfort, so i dedicated about a month to slowly upping the poundage to pre-party levels. good to keep in mind things take time to recover.

you can go uber slow like i did if you are busy with school and work or much faster depending on your situation, but it is good to keep in mind that if your discomfort persists or worsens to see a ortho md and then a pt. It would be royally asinine to work through pain and cause injury.

Sorry. Long winded and boring. I?ll post someday about brazil next time, for sure, hell of a lot more interesting…

[quote]burning ice wrote:
but, since the last 2 days, my bones have been aching like hell… [/quote]

Good. You sound like a guy who ties up the bench and squat rack (gotta do dem curls with a nickel on either side) on Mondays. I truly hope your lifestyle choices keep you out of the gym.

But to answer your question: Uh, if drinking too much has caused your joints to hurt, why not, uh, I don’t know… not drink so much?

It’s not rocket science, dude.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
burning ice wrote:
but, since the last 2 days, my bones have been aching like hell…

Good. You sound like a guy who ties up the bench and squat rack (gotta do dem curls with a nickel on either side) on Mondays. I truly hope your lifestyle choices keep you out of the gym.

But to answer your question: Uh, if drinking too much has caused your joints to hurt, why not, uh, I don’t know… not drink so much?

It’s not rocket science, dude.

[/quote]

Uh, dude-it is when you have no brain cells left.

my apologies, i should have clarified that when i said ‘since the last 2 days’, this is the last two days/nights that i did cut back on the alcohol…

regardless, a hiatus of partying may be the ticket… i just wanted to know if excessive alcohol consumption contributed to any bone problems…

thanks for everyones cents.