Hiatal Hernia and Lifting

anyone here have a hiatal hernia or know anything about lifting with one?
I have, and have had one for years, I take losec (a PPI) daily to reduce my acid reflux.

Due to an unrelated injury I stopped lifting, recently I started back up again. When I lift I get wicked bad acid reflux. Sometimes it starts during and usually lasts 1-2 days. I don’t remember this in the past, but the hernias can get worse with age.

I started reading and some articles say you should never do weightlifting with a hiatal hernia. The theory is that the internal pressure forces the stomach up through the diaphragm.

I’m very interested on peoples thoughts about it.

note: for the people not familiar with it, a hiatal hernia is not the type that is busting through your ab wall, it is where the stomach slips up past the diaphragm.

Hey man! I have the same problem discovered about 3-4 months ago. It began with a heavy feeling in my chest, so I went to the physical examination and doctor discovered a hiatal hernia. At that time I was in weightlifting, so I was just taken aback, I was broken… It was maybe the best thing I’ve been to and I really liked weightlifting. Practically all doctors said that I should give it up, but I didn’t want to believe it. So I went to the doctor that operates only hiatal hernias. And what do you think? He said that weightlifting is just ok. It is ok. I could proceed.

The only thing he recommended was to eat at least 2 hours before bedtime, to have a meal 5-6 times a day and not to lift with my stomach being full. So thats it. However, It’s about 4 months now and I keep lifting and living with all these 3 rules. I don’t have any signs of the hernia, and sometimes I just forget that I actually have it.