Hi or Lo Tops for Powerlifting?

This is a question for competitive powerlifters or those who have knowledge @ that level. Is there a functional difference between low top and hi top chuck taylor’s for DL and SQ?

I DL conventional and squat medium wide (NOT sumo). I can’t imagine the hi top’s canvas at the ankles to provide much support, yet the Westsiders shown in the eliteFTS manuals all have the hi tops on, do the hi tops then help with sumo stance?

Thanks for clearing this up for me,
-k

Ehhh, if your lace em up all the way and tight it will give some very minimal support.

Get some slippers for deadlifting, the chucks elevate your foot a bit.

You look like a doofus in either.

You look less spastic in the tried and true high top.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
Ehhh, if your lace em up all the way and tight it will give some very minimal support.

Get some slippers for deadlifting, the chucks elevate your foot a bit.

[/quote]

I actually got the low tops, not chucks but near same thing made by champion. They were the thinnest HARD sole I could find making the transition from bare foot.

I then also tore out the insoles. So pretty much they are now just a thin less than 1/4 inch maybe an 1/8 hard sole. A bit to get used to just the feel after always going bare foot but im liking them for DL and squating.

so, does it matter, or is this strictly a personal preferance?

It’s really a personal preference, but generally go for a high top shoe for the squat.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
It’s really a personal preference, but generally go for a high top shoe for the squat.

[/quote]

If you’re dead set on using Chucks, this is correct.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t want a shoe that’s well constructed, though. I’d be nervous squatting any real weight in Chucks with a wide stance.

-Dan

IF it was alowed, going barefoot would be best

Man, get yourself a good pair of wrestling shoes. Ya, chucks are nice and all, but if you want to feel like you aint got nothing on, and still have nice support, go with wrestling shoes.

[quote]Chefbc14 wrote:
Man, get yourself a good pair of wrestling shoes. Ya, chucks are nice and all, but if you want to feel like you aint got nothing on, and still have nice support, go with wrestling shoes.[/quote]

Although I’m not much of a PL, I agree with the wrestling shoes. Wrestling shoes are the only shoes I lift in.

I used to use the low top chuck taylors. I always thought they performed about the same. I could still push my foot into the sides of them hard for squatting and they felt about the same to me. Just make sure the shoelaces are tied tight.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:

I don’t know why you wouldn’t want a shoe that’s well constructed, though. I’d be nervous squatting any real weight in Chucks with a wide stance.

-Dan[/quote]

What type of shoe do you recommend?

-Dan[/quote]

I’m with Dan on this. The thing that changed my thinking about Chucks was the time I was trying to untie my knotted laces with sore, swollen hands after a workout. I got pissed and just yanked the laces hard. I figured the laces would break. Nope, the whole damn shoe ripped in half. Somehow, I think I remember the Chucks that I skated in in the late 80’s were a lot tougher.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
buffalokilla wrote:

-Dan

I’m with Dan on this. The thing that changed my thinking about Chucks was the time I was trying to untie my knotted laces with sore, swollen hands after a workout. I got pissed and just yanked the laces hard. I figured the laces would break. Nope, the whole damn shoe ripped in half. Somehow, I think I remember the Chucks that I skated in in the late 80’s were a lot tougher. [/quote]

Yes thios is why I opted for taking the insoles out etc the closer youy are to the ground less between you and it the less pressure on the actual shoe etc. Leverages. Heck Id love to have had wrestling shoes but man those things used to be cheap now for a bit of fabric they charge and arm and leg. I go wioth these for next to nothing and they seem to work great.

Buit by all means yes I would say wrestling shooes and lace what ever it is Tight so is like not wearing a thing no slip etc.

tigerak02 wrote:

If you’re dead set on using Chucks, this is correct.

-Dan[/quote]

The guys at westside seem to have no worries about it. Mike R has squatted 900+ in em.

I was just reading Marc Bartley’s log the other day and he switched over to the metal squat shoes and he reckons that he’s getting 50lb outta em.