T Nation

Hi, Introduction

Hi all

I have been lurking for a while now and thought I should introduce myself.

I’m a 35 year old man from Northern Ireland who has taken little to no exercise all his life. As you may imagine combining as little movement as possible with cigarettes, beer and junk food throughout my twenties left me looking, well, flabby at best.

I stopped smoking 3 years ago, joined a gym last year and have been mainly concentrating on cardio (spinning, running machine etc) and core classes to get the old belly in line. So far so good, as along with some light training on the weights machines I have managed to lose 14 pounds or so, however, my strength is very low ( I ‘lift’ 40KG for 3x12 on the chest press machine) and I have poor flexibilty.

Now, I have decided to put on some beef as I am, at the moment, a ‘skinny fat man’ in that I have little muscle mass and lots of flab, though less than before :slight_smile:

I have read through some of the articles on the site and have taking a liking to Chad Waterbury’s work so I bought the 10x10 e-book and will be starting it on monday.

I don’t think I’m brave enough to put up a picture just now, but maybe in ten weeks :wink:

Anyway, thats me, ambitious and ready to work.

Welcome Morgan! Congratulations on kicking the habit (smoking) and getting into the gym!. Post your training, plans and goals and you will get help and encouragement from the participants in this forum. You are not alone in your situation…

Thanks very much for the welcome :slight_smile:

I’ll be following the 10x10 plan in Chad Waterbury’s e book. I’m not sure if I should post the routine itself though as I don’t want to take cash out of Chad’s pocket, if you know what I mean but I’ll definitely be posting a log on how I’m doing rather than the specifics. I’m most likely being overly cautious but better that than start off on the worng foot :slight_smile:

Frankly, I’ve never done anything like this before so I have no idea what will be in it lol

I’ve had some sort of flu virus thing this week so I’m chomping at the bit to get into the gym when I’m better.

Thanks again for the welcome. :slight_smile:

I’d say just post what you do after you’ve done it and there is no copyright issue. Logging your weights and reps is a valuable tool for training. I had never done anything like this proir to March either - jump in and go…

omigod! the Laughing Man is back! I thought Motoko and crew had seen the last of him.

Welcome. Good luck.

Hey man,

I’ve been in gyms on and off for 20 years and I’ve got a pretty decent physique for a guy who’s 37. Good enough to hang onto a hottie in her early 20’s for the last 3 years.

I had a conversation last month I thought I’d share…

A guy I know at the gym was talking about a someone we all see around who is in fantastic shape and probably will go pro in a few years. He really admires the guy and I think that’s cool.

But he asked me who I admire, and after thinking about it for a few minutes I pointed to someone and my buddy just about broke his chin when it dropped to the floor.

I’d pointed to this fat guy I’d seen for the past 6 months. He was on the elliptical machine and probably still at 300lbs and 60% bodyfat or higher. He was pretty disgusting, sweaty and obviously struggling.

But the thing is… this guy had been there for 6 months. I’d watched as he dropped over 100lbs. Every time I saw him he was on a bike, elliptical, treadmill or rowing machine. Every time he looked like he was dying, but he kept coming. He looked awful and miserable.

THAT takes guts. It’s SO much easier when you can look in the mirrors and you know you look pretty good. Even looking OK makes the gym so much easier. But this guy had to be EMBARASSED.

But he kept coming, kept working and did it even though it HURT and he looked AWFUL.

THAT’S COURAGE

KEEP IT UP!

[quote]skidmark wrote:
omigod! the Laughing Man is back! I thought Motoko and crew had seen the last of him.[/quote]

Hehe, another Ghost in the Shell fan, sweet! I feel at home already :smiley:

I like that story Mighty Maus. :slight_smile:

Reminds me of when I went to have a look around the gym. I had the notion that everyone would be about 20 and super fit. When I got there I saw a large, red haired woman, sweaty and red faced giving it her all on the rowing machine and I thought, ‘well, if she can do it…’ and joined up.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

GiTS is the fucking bomb…

Glad to see another Section-9’er on the site.