Hi, I'm New to T-Nation...Sorta

Hi, my name is Carlos Moran, I'm 17 years old, and I began my vision quest last september.  I just wanted to post this topic as a way of getting to start chatting with you guys on the right foot. 

I’m starting to bulk and I’m currently a little over 140. I plan to hit 150-165 range, before doing my first cut for the summer. I know it’s not going to be a big bulk phase for me, but I’m new to the bulking and cutting phase theories.

Welcome to the site.

You may want to postpone that cutting phase until summer of 2008 and just spend a full year bulking.

You think so? THat’s what I’m debting with myself right now, because I still have that stupid desire to have “rip abz” for the upcoming summer, but if more of you guys advise me otherwise, I think I’ll stick with the bulking.

how tall are you? Shooting for 150-165 seems a little low, unless you’re like 5’6" or shorter. Even then, I’d agree with the above poster, bulk for a year, then cut when you’ve got some serious muscle mass to show for it.

I’m between 5’7-5’8, I’n not tall by any means, which is why I was shooting for not huge gains.

i’d say for your height shoot for 170-180…

bulking normally means your going to retain more water/fat then if you just had a slow increase in lean muscle mass.

so if you shoot for a higher weight when bulking; then you cut down…you’ll be at a higher weight.

i bulked a while back and when i cut; i lost about 12lbs in 6weeks mainly water weight and then some fat (and a bit of muscle)

now i’m just increasing lean mass while dropping fat. its alot slower of a process but its totally more worth it.

If you haven’t already you may want to read CT’s “The Truth About Bulking” article, that gives some good advice for putting on muscle while minimizing fat gain, so that even if you do decide to cut back a bit for summer, you won’t have to diet too hard.

I’m 5’6" tall, and if you check my photos on my profile, I’m 168 lbs. I’ve got some muscle on me,but I’m not what anyone would call big by any means. I’m bulking up to 220 (currently 175) and then cutting. Fuck being small. Think BIG. Forgoing abs for 1 year will get you more vag 2 years rom now. :slight_smile:

Kubo

Carlos,

Many many competitive bodybuilders are not taller than you and they manage to pack on a lot of muscle. You are NOT too short to shoot for big gains.

Also, you’re 17, and your levels of testosterone and growth hormone are at their peak. If you lift heavy weight regularly and eat lots of nutritious food, you could shoot way past 165 and look terrific.

You’ve got all the time in the world to “cut” but, if you are serious and can actually push yourself in the gym, you are at the best possible time in your life to gain. At this stage in the game, your chief limits are those you put on yourself. Don’t limit yourself.

Yeah, I’m new to posting, but to reading articles, I’m deff. on top of things, I did read CT’s bulking article and LL’s Strategic Eating Article as well. They are ace, but my next question is, if I keep bulking during March/April, when it’s warmer here in Massachusetts, what mean(s) of staying relatively lean should I go for?

P.S. I’m doing Ian King’s Upper and Lower Body strength programs. 4 day split of Mon-Tues-Thurs-Firday. I’m in my 2nd week into it.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Yeah, I’m new to posting, but to reading articles, I’m deff. on top of things, I did read CT’s bulking article and LL’s Strategic Eating Article as well. They are ace, but my next question is, if I keep bulking during March/April, when it’s warmer here in Massachusetts, what mean(s) of staying relatively lean should I go for?[/quote]

Bulking isn’t necessarily synonymous with getting fat. You can do a clean bulk and stay relatively lean while you do it, just keep calories a few hundred above maintenance. Add 250kcal/week until you feel like you are gaining fat at an unacceptable rate, and then cut back to the previous intake level.

If you do decide to lean out, you’d be better off doing some high intensity stuff. It will help you shed fat while retaining muscle. Look up HIIT articles here.

You should be thinking long term with your goals, rather than yo-yo bulk/cutting. Once you’ve put on some solid mass, you’ll want to maintain your weight for a couple of months so your body will get used to the new weight. If you go straight from bulk to cut, you’ll lose a lot of your gains.

One final note, if you’ve lived in Mass long enough, you should know that you don’t need abs in March or April. Late May will probably suffice :wink:

[quote]Modi wrote:

You should be thinking long term with your goals, rather than yo-yo bulk/cutting. Once you’ve put on some solid mass, you’ll want to maintain your weight for a couple of months so your body will get used to the new weight. If you go straight from bulk to cut, you’ll lose a lot of your gains.[/quote]

READ THIS!!! many times

Figure out you ultimate goal and aim for it. is cutting a little fat and possible loss of LBM and good time that could be used gaining LBM and strength worth the little vanity trip over the summer.

Like others said you dont have to be friggin obese fat but carry a bit more BF to continue getting larger, stronger.

Best of luck

Phill

[quote]Modi wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Yeah, I’m new to posting, but to reading articles, I’m deff. on top of things, I did read CT’s bulking article and LL’s Strategic Eating Article as well. They are ace, but my next question is, if I keep bulking during March/April, when it’s warmer here in Massachusetts, what mean(s) of staying relatively lean should I go for?

Bulking isn’t necessarily synonymous with getting fat. You can do a clean bulk and stay relatively lean while you do it, just keep calories a few hundred above maintenance. Add 250kcal/week until you feel like you are gaining fat at an unacceptable rate, and then cut back to the previous intake level.

If you do decide to lean out, you’d be better off doing some high intensity stuff. It will help you shed fat while retaining muscle. Look up HIIT articles here.

You should be thinking long term with your goals, rather than yo-yo bulk/cutting. Once you’ve put on some solid mass, you’ll want to maintain your weight for a couple of months so your body will get used to the new weight. If you go straight from bulk to cut, you’ll lose a lot of your gains.

One final note, if you’ve lived in Mass long enough, you should know that you don’t need abs in March or April. Late May will probably suffice ;)[/quote]

Damn you’re right! I have like Dr. LL’s article on yo-yo dieting like yelling at me inside my head right now. I feel pretty dumb, esp. with the added fact that I’ve lived in Mass all my life, and I know it doesn’t get warm here in Andover until May hahaha. Thanks guys for the support, I’m deff. gonna stick to long term mass.

P.S. Modi, what part of Mass do you live in?

You’re also only 17. Most men reach their adult height by about 17, but many grow another inch or so by 18, and some rare individuals end up growing substantially by the time they are 21. So, be mindful that you could conceivably sprout some more, which would effectively change the entire perspective of your goals.

I would hope so, but I doubt I’ll get very taller. I have a Guatemalan background, which is Hispanic, and my people don’t tend to get taller than 5’8, rarely 5’10. But who knows? Thanks for all the advice guys!

Oh yeah, I’m more question, for my first solid meal after consuming 2 pwo shakes, should I eat a whole sweet potatoe along with my chicken breast?

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Oh yeah, I’m more question, for my first solid meal after consuming 2 pwo shakes, should I eat a whole sweet potatoe along with my chicken breast?[/quote]

Sure they are good and good for you

Phill

Sweet.

[quote]RSarin wrote:
If you haven’t already you may want to read CT’s “The Truth About Bulking” article, that gives some good advice for putting on muscle while minimizing fat gain, so that even if you do decide to cut back a bit for summer, you won’t have to diet too hard.[/quote]

God I wish I had that article a few years ago…