T Nation

Hi, I'm Drew

Couldn’t find an intro thread, so making this one. Hi, my name is Drew and I just turned 41. Recently noticed I was fat and out of shape and decided to change that. I’ve been getting back into lifting over the past 6 months after a 20 year layoff. Boy does time wreck you! Just started SL 5x5 a couple of weeks ago. Its similar to my training style from my younger days, but I felt I needed to go back to the beginning and start fresh, so I’m using this program for 6 months and will take stock then if I need to make any changes.

The first thing I learned is my flexibility is shot in my hips (years of cycling and mtb have made me very stiff). I’m incorporating the Agile 8 as my pre-workout stretch, but I need to find more ways to rehab my hips, and lower back. Had to basically start at zero and relearn the squat as my form turned to crap. Using the ‘low squat’ position, which is new to me, and really like it, but have lots of room to improve.

Anyhoo, numbers aren’t that impressive, but hey, who gives a shit, I’m lifting for me right!

1RM Bench - 235
1RM Squat - 225 (gone back just bar, then 115, to relearn proper form)
1RM Pendlay Row - 155
1RM OHP - 155
1RM Dead Lift - 265

Well, that’s me. Look forward to reading all of the old content and hopefully contributing something useful at times.

Cheers!

Hey Drew…good to meet you. If that pic is current, then you’ve got a really solid base to work with. I’d be willing to bet that after 6 months of your 5x5, you’ll see a big difference.

JS

Thanks! Yeah, that picture was taken in October post race beer and turkey leg in hand. I ran the Warrior Dash (5.5K) obstacle race. When I made the decision to get fit, I entered myself into a race which was 4 months away. It was a way to make myself “put up, or shut up” LOL.

[quote]drew925 wrote:
The first thing I learned is my flexibility is shot in my hips (years of cycling and mtb have made me very stiff). I’m incorporating the Agile 8 as my pre-workout stretch, but I need to find more ways to rehab my hips, and lower back.[/quote]
Welcome aboard, man.

Good call on acknowledging and actually addressing the hip issue. The Agile 8 is good stuff. Also look into Third World squats and Goblet squats to really drill the positioning and flexibility/mobility needed to get deep.

Any other questions, fire away. Maybe take a look in the Over-35 Lifter forum. Lots of dudes over there getting great work done, and some might be in (or have been in) a similar situation to where you are now.

Wow, great links. The third world squat is an eye opener. Going to be sharing this with friends. Thank you very much!

Good stuff. Welcome.
As your numbers aren’t that shabby, especially your bench I recommend you just do SL for 6-8 weeks to get back in the swing of things then move on to madcow.

Yooo

Slowly getting my form back in the squat. Hoping to get to this level LOL

At 41, why would you do ATG?

^ optheta - Just a funny pic. No way I can get that low as of now. I’m happy hitting depth at parallel with strict form.

[quote]optheta wrote:
At 41, why would you do ATG?[/quote]
V cute!

I’m also on a mission using goblet squats to help. My hips, among other things, are shot from stupid desk job. Have you had anyone take a look at the hips and your squat form? I’m only asking as at first we thought it was my right glute just letting go, but actually its my right tight hip flexor pushing my knee forward. I can go atg quite easily but just not in a strong position so that’s only just asking for trouble, it takes time and patience especially around our age :wink:

[quote]optheta wrote:
At 41, why would you do ATG?[/quote]
Because that’s the actual range of motion that a healthy body should be able to perform.

If we’re talking about training and weighted squats, that’s one thing, but simply being able to do an ATG squat (unweighted) is definitely worth having as a goal, especially as an older/experienced lifter.