T Nation

Hi, I'm an Idiot

Hi, I’m an Idiot. I want to lose fat, especially that fat which seems to accumulate on my belly. Can you direct me to some good content on fat loss?

The thing is that I am not a noob in the Gym. And I sure ain’t no freaking 150 pound metro sexual looking to cut to better tone my abs. But the thing is my gut is getting out of control and I can’t put a fat loss program together. As muscle growth I gain easily - my heavy eating and primarily endomorph body helps.

My stats:

• weight: 206 lbs, was 176 lbs in the attached photo
  • bodyfat %: around 20% but then again I’m a idiot so I could be way off track. Should I put up a picture holding a shoe so you could tell me my body fat level? :stuck_out_tongue:
  • height: 5 '9
  • training age: 2 years
  • previous training:
    • 12 months wasted my time and money doing high rep isolation exercises
    • mixed pyramid training
    • heavy low rep multi-joint exercises periods followed by 8 -12 rep multi joint and isolation exercises periods (my best gains may I add - doubled my bench during 6 months - but it only 250)

My attempt at losing body fat: I got my hands on a Charles Poliquin exercise theory book and started German Volume training then took the same principle a bit further with Coach Thib’s War Room Strategy for fat loss. problem is that I am gaining on those as well. Now, to tell the truth, I was eating big.

Now, I took a 2 week break from the gym (did 9 week straight and started to feel the heavy lifting on my joints) during which I started to follow Dr. John Berardi’s 7 principles of highly effective diets as well as adiing NEPA walks and morning cardio and I am seeing results.

This week I am going back to the gym and don’t know what I should do. I need a program that works with Dr. John Berardi’s diet strategy as far as intensity/ allowing me to recover goes. What do you suggest?

Yes you are!

Joking.

Do you have a current pic, back, and legs?

You have a good frame… you don’t look like your carrying very much fat… so you want to look shredded?

I would look to add more muscle…

First step with changing yourself should probably be changing your negative attitude and low selfesteem (calling yourself an idiot).

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
First step with changing yourself should probably be changing your negative attitude and low selfesteem (calling yourself an idiot).[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1021669

Don’t be hatin’.

hey. it sounds like you know what you want.
i have two thoughts:

1. my advice, from looking at your pic (which I understand is not the most recent, but it is all you have given us to go by) is to worry about building muscle for now, rather than worrying about cutting. specifically, your arms and shoulders look good but your traps and pecs could use some work.

2. if you disagree with me on point 1, above, and you ARE satisfied with your current amount of muscle, and you DO want to begin to cut the fat, my advice is very simple: start a diet log (log everything you are eating as well as number of calories, grams of carbs, grams of protein, grams of fat) and set daily goals for yourself (i.e. 3000 calories, X grams of protein, Y grams of carbs, Z grams of fat). Look in the mirror again in a week and evaluate your progress. If you are moving in the right direction, keep your goals. If you are not progressing fast enough, adjust your caloric/macro-nutrient goals accordingly.

plain and simple!
dan

Thanks guys for the advice. DanErickson I was only trying to make it funny, Makavali caught what it was about.

As for adding muscle, I added 30 pounds since that picture(206 now from 176).

I will post some new pictures today and then you decide if I need to lose some belly fat.

The fact is I didn’t keep the bulking diet clean, drank soda and eat crap, and added too much fat.

If I could lose the belly fat this summer I would be ripped for the beach and then go on a bulk cycle to add some more mass.

Bye for now, will be posting the pictures after I come from collage.

Guy’s nobody nothing?

I was hoping to get some answers to my question or at least a direction in which to go.

Inthego advised me to bulk up but I feel that my current 206 pounds (was 176 in the picture) is more then enough for a 5 '9 guy not looking to get Huuge.

LiarPantsOnFire advised me on nutrition which I didn’t want advice on and the rest well just basically posted.

Now understand me that i know that some people who posted on my thread have a good reputation and i don’t mean to diss anyone, but is there someone who can answer my question?

I will restate it again:

I need a program that works with Dr. John Berardi’s diet strategy as far as intensity/ allowing me to recover goes. What type of / specific program do you suggest I do?

Why don’t you go on the Precision Nutrition forum and use one of the programs already posted?

All of them are specifically tailored to work with the PN program. There is a good bodybuilding program by CT, a good max strength workout by Dave Tate, a good off-season athletic program by Eric Cressey and several others.

If none of those programs rings your bell, you can use just about any program on T-Nation depending on what will accomplish your training goals. Adjust the nutrition to fit as needed.

I’m not really qualified to give advice, so excuse my hubris, but nutrition seems to be your only problem. You do not need a specific fat loss program as much as you need to correct your diet and perhaps throw in some cardio/HIIT. There are numerous cutting programs on this site, but none will really do much if you still ‘eat big’. JB’s 7 habits will help, but if you’re still eating four thousand calories a day, they won’t help that much.

[quote]trif_m wrote:
Can you direct me to some good content on fat loss?
[/quote]

[quote]trif_m wrote:
LiarPantsOnFire advised me on nutrition which I didn’t want advice on and the rest well just basically posted.
[/quote]

sorry for trying to be helpful, man. I was trying to direct you to the best content on fat loss that I know of. Thought I’d start with the stuff that can lead you to the best progress first (instead of addressing other stuff).
If you want to lose fat, follow my advice. Or follow the advice of VICOMTE, who clearly knows what he’s talking about too. We’re saying basically the same thing: if you want to have control of how your body looks, you must think about what you’re putting in your mouth.

dan

Nate Dogg I must admit I really am an idiot :P. Searching dr. Berardi’s forum should have been obvious. Tnx Man.

LiarPantsOnFire don’t take it like that man - I was just a little upset that I didn’t get the answer about training BUT I really appreciate that you took the time to write and try to help me. Tnx to you again.

I will take care to lower the calories about 500 calories below maintenance and keep protein up not to lose muscle mass.

I an heading to Dr. b’s forum to study.

Tnx guys for all your help.

Then i think I will start a training log to keep me acountable.

trif_m

EDIT: Deleted.

I saw that the pic isnt relevant… why did you post it? i dont get it! am i missing summat?

i dont get the idiot thing either… what is that about?

jj

Sorry, I an not a native english speaker and don’t know what you mean with with "you haven’t even begun to think about contemplating the idea of being fat. "

Could you refraze that?

You will fin out what the idiot thing is all about by carefully reading the thread. AS for pictures I am now posting some new ones.

I mentioned earlier that I will go to Dr. John Berardi’s forum but only people that pay can view the workouts :frowning:

So It is back to the drawing board. Any links to some good fat loss programs.

The picture is me at around 200 lbs. i don’t even look like I lift anymore. F*cking drinking soda did this tome! So I think I really need to lose this fat before starting a clean bulk.

Here is a side view. It’s like I am a PRE-CLINIC Bartl.

And speaking about Bartl, man incredible transformation and don’t stop at it! Your transformation and challenges determined me to not wait till 260 lbs to realize I have a problem with eating habits and that a change is needed.

I’m just bumping this thread up because I am still looking for an answer. Hope you help me guys.

Another thing I noticed, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that you guys don’t like the word Cutting around here. So another question I have is what you base the decision to start a cutting phase of?

And Does anybody here and experince with using Charles Poliquin’s German Volume Training for fat loss?

Where’s Prof X when you need him?

So true man, profesor X where are you :P?

[quote]trif_m wrote:
And Does anybody here and experince with using Charles Poliquin’s German Volume Training for fat loss?[/quote]

I think you are referring to German Body Composition not GVT. It’s a lactate workout and it you do it correctly it is very good at eliminating fat.

I have no direct experinece with it myself but I have put a few people on it with good success. But be warned, it you a traditional lifter who likes plenty of rest between sets it will make you throw up if you do it right.