Hi Guys, New Here

Hi, I just thought I might say hi to the community and give you some information about me :smiley:

I have been doing stronglifts for the past 9 months and have just started a new program called MADCOW.

My stats:
Height: 6ā€™4
Weight: 215lb
Wrists: 7inches
Ankles: 10.5inches
Chest: 42inches
Thighs: 26inches
Biceps: 14inches
Neck: 17inches

My 1RMā€™s:
Squat: 370lbs
Deadlift: 350lbs
Bench: 225lbs

My Goals: By my 16th birthday I hope to be squatting 500, deadlifting 450 and benching 300. After achieving those goals I hope to compete in my first powerlifting meet.

Right now I am looking to add some isolation stuff to my workouts, so far I have added barbell curls and calf raises, I donā€™t suppose anyone has got any ideas on that?

Thanks
Jamie Downs

#1. You are squatting high. You canā€™t squat 370. I bet your real squat is probably about 245. You need to go deep and you need to get below parallelā€¦or at least parallel. You are probably doing 1/8th squats or 1/4th squats right nowā€¦or 1/2 squats, it doesnā€™t matter. Itā€™s not a full squat.

#2. You can do 3x6-10 barbell curls, 3x6-10 hammer curls and calf work. There is nothing wrong with that. I would hammer your rear delts with Rear Delt flies too.

I bet that I can squat 370, would you like a video?

In fact, Iā€™m doing 3 reps at 315 I think it is tomorrow, Iā€™ll video it and post it on here :smiley:

Donā€™t listen to this ethan guy, heā€™s been banned on other sites and is a troll here.

As far as assistance work, do what madcow says to do in his program. He knows more about lifting than you.

Thanks for the warning, and yeah, I suppose your right.

Like Other-Chris said, stick with the program as-is. I donā€™t remember it off the top of my head, but I believe thereā€™s room for isolation/accessory work.

Youā€™re definitely off to a great start, but make sure you take steps to stay healthy, joint-wise, to stay ahead of any problems before they start.

[quote]Decimator wrote:
My 1RMā€™s:
Squat: 370lbs
Deadlift: 350lbs
Bench: 225lbs

My Goals: By my 16th birthday I hope to be squatting 500, deadlifting 450 and benching 300. After achieving those goals I hope to compete in my first powerlifting meet.[/quote]
Not trying to pee on your parade, but thatā€™s a lot of strength to add in under a year. Especially since youā€™re so far ahead of the curve right now, Iā€™d say thereā€™s no rush to hit those numbers. Maybe consider pushing the ā€œdeadlineā€ of your 16th birthday back a bit, keep that date as a goal but scale the numbers down, or keep the date but focus on hitting one of those numbers.

Also, you certainly donā€™t need to wait to compete. Check out the Powerlifting forum here. Plenty of guys are of the mind that, if you want to compete, jump in and do it, donā€™t wait to be ā€œstrong enoughā€ before participating. But thatā€™s obviously your call.

Last bit, you might want to read up about Matt Rhodes. Heā€™s a very experienced powerlifter whoā€™s also 6ā€™4", so he might have dropped some tips around about being a taller lifter. Heā€™s got a training log and Q n A on elitefts.com.

Thanks for the advise on everything, I know those goals are ambitious, but I reckon I have the drive to get there. :smiley:

Chris is right, no reason to weight on a PL competition until you get stronger because: (1) the experience is good for you and more experience is better than less; and (2) you will always (hopefully) be training to get stronger, so waiting to get stronger isnā€™t a good reason not to do a meet.