T Nation

Hi Creatinine - TRT Related?

For my last several blood draws (approx every 6 months, 1.5 - 2 years total), my creatinine level has been elevated out of the normal range (Labcorp). It’s been in the 1.4x range (top of range is 1.27 for LC). Is this possibly related to my TRT? I’ve never thought much about it, but my doc had me get another BMP done since it was elevated again. All other parameters have been good. Outside of my TRT regime (T Cyp 100mg/wk in divided doses SQ, hcg 250iu 3x/wk, liquidex 0.15mg 3x/wk) I’m also on Crestor 10mg. Thoughts?

[quote]catfish74 wrote:
For my last several blood draws (approx every 6 months, 1.5 - 2 years total), my creatinine level has been elevated out of the normal range (Labcorp). It’s been in the 1.4x range (top of range is 1.27 for LC). Is this possibly related to my TRT? I’ve never thought much about it, but my doc had me get another BMP done since it was elevated again. All other parameters have been good. Outside of my TRT regime (T Cyp 100mg/wk in divided doses SQ, hcg 250iu 3x/wk, liquidex 0.15mg 3x/wk) I’m also on Crestor 10mg. Thoughts?[/quote]

I think they are not related. I am not on trt and have had creatine higher above range also. They ran me through a series of tests to check my kidneys. All came through fine, they basically attributed it to my body composition. Higher muscle apparently can mean higher creatine levels.

She also went on to say she had a guy come in once who just completed a massive bike ride and his creatine levels were 3x above top of range. Subsequent tests they came back fine.

Are you worried about kidney function or something? If so I read that cystatin-c is a much better test than creatine.

No, not really worried about it; it just concerned me that my doc wanted to do a follow up. I don’t have any symptoms of kidney disease/failure. I’ve done a bit of reading this afternoon, and like you said, it’s probably my build and diet. I eat a good bit of meat and have a decent amount of muscle mass.

Stop the Crestor and see what happens to that marker.

Statin drugs induce CoQ10 deficiencies. You should be supplementing with CoQ10, best form is Ubiquinol. Any side effects or new issues?

Stop the Crestor and see what happens to that marker.

Statin drugs induce CoQ10 deficiencies. You should be supplementing with CoQ10, best form is Ubiquinol. Any side effects or new issues?

I’ve stopped the crestor in the past, but my Chol levels go through the roof - like in the 300 range. It seems to be hereditary, my mother’s is high as well (similar to mine, upper 200s) and she is tiny.

I have some CoQ10 but I have a hard time to remember to take it. I’ll put it w/ my crestor so I take them together from now on. As far as sides, there are none.

Thanks for the input, KS; I value your feedback.

The guys who created Liptor took out a patent on statin+CoQ10 as a product, then sat on it and did nothing. They knew about this from the get go.

Please try Ubiquinol if you are on the watch for some signs of improved well-being.

When you stopped Crestor before, did you have the same creatine labs to watch for changes?

I’ll try to get some of the ubiquinol and give it a go. My levels were elevated when I stopped the Crestor, although not quite as high (in the 1.29 range, which is just outside of “normal”). I haven’t heard back from my GP yet. She may have drawn the same conclusion that I did based on the reading I did - diet, weight training, and body composition lead to higher levels.