T Nation

HGH Precursors?

Before I started buying from Biotest, I would get my whey and creatine from whatever site had it cheapest. Every so often I get email updates from these sites with their “specials” or “new products”, which is usually a bunch of N.O. bullshit.

I got an email this morning and since I have a while before my class today, I opened it.

It’s advertising an “HGH Precursor” which is “safer than HGH injections”. I’ve heard of steroid precursors (prohormones), but HGH ones? Here’s the link to check it out. I’m sure it’s bogus/unsafe, but here it is anyway.

discountanabolics.com/p/HGL004?s=DA&m=em&c=DA052308

Well, that site doesn’t show the ingredients so no one here can accurately comment on its effectiveness.

Something like GABA is quite effective at boosting GH both before a workout and before going to sleep.

sounds sketchy to me just from what you wrote.

think about it, if it really worked that well, either A. Biotest would make it or B. You would have read about it on here before

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
sounds sketchy to me just from what you wrote.

think about it, if it really worked that well, either A. Biotest would make it or B. You would have read about it on here before[/quote]

exactly. i wasn’t asking if it was a good product really, more like a WTF?

as per the ingredients…

Aminotropin�?� Proprietary Complex 4676 mg
L-Glutamine, Ornathine, L-Arginine, L-Lysine, L-Taurine, BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acids), GABA (Gamma-AminoButyric Acid), 7KETO (3-Acetyl-70xo Dehydroepiandrosteone), DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone), MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)

Proprietary Herbal Support Blend
425 mg
Tribulus (Tribulus terrestris, fruit extract), Aswaganda (Withaniasomnifera, root), Mucuna Pruriens (bean extract, 10%, L-Dopa and Melatonin

Other Ingredients
Calcium Silicate, stearic acid, and magnesium stearate

Really? Looks like it might work, but certainly no magic pill.

There is nothing out there that will increase gh levels to any signifant level other than hgh. some say gaba or even melatonin preworkout will jack up gh levels but all that stuff on the market is a huge waste of money.

[quote]Poacher1632 wrote:
There is nothing out there that will increase gh levels to any signifant level other than hgh. some say gaba or even melatonin preworkout will jack up gh levels but all that stuff on the market is a huge waste of money.[/quote]

i guess that’s what the companies are having people bank on, is the thought that seeing gaba/melatonin in the ingredients will make people buy it. i’ve heard that before as well but have no source on if that’s true.

[quote]ericbyrnesjr wrote:
Poacher1632 wrote:
There is nothing out there that will increase gh levels to any signifant level other than hgh. some say gaba or even melatonin preworkout will jack up gh levels but all that stuff on the market is a huge waste of money.

i guess that’s what the companies are having people bank on, is the thought that seeing gaba/melatonin in the ingredients will make people buy it. i’ve heard that before as well but have no source on if that’s true.[/quote]

Gaba and melatonin are heavily researched and proven to work. You can look up scientific studies on pubmed. Nothing will work like HGH injected. However, taking a REAL GH booster before a workout and before sleep will help your gains.

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
Poacher1632 wrote:

i guess that’s what the companies are having people bank on, is the thought that seeing gaba/melatonin in the ingredients will make people buy it. i’ve heard that before as well but have no source on if that’s true.

Gaba and melatonin are heavily researched and proven to work. You can look up scientific studies on pubmed. Nothing will work like HGH injected. However, taking a REAL GH booster before a workout and before sleep will help your gains.[/quote]

This is debatable at best since one would need a fairly substantial increase in GH to see a change.

Even those who use low dosages of the real thing often need to increase the dose significantly to see a difference.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
Poacher1632 wrote:

Gaba and melatonin are heavily researched and proven to work. You can look up scientific studies on pubmed. Nothing will work like HGH injected. However, taking a REAL GH booster before a workout and before sleep will help your gains.

This is debatable at best since one would need a fairly substantial increase in GH to see a change.

Even those who use low dosages of the real thing often need to increase the dose significantly to see a difference.[/quote]

GABA can increase GH 500% compared to a placebo in response to exercise. Is that kind of increase debatable? Can you honestly say that is an ineffective increase?

A secretagouge (sp?) is hardly comparable to the real thing, but it is foolish to say “they dont work”.

Are we comparing Alpha Male to Dianabol? Two things that are COMPLETELY different. But, they do both “work”.

I would love to see that research on GABA. I use it as it helps me sleep but ive never noticed any kind of ergogenic effects. my doses are between 3000 and 5500mg empty stomach before bed. Most users of HGH dont even raise their gh levels by 500% so I am very suspect of this data

[quote]Poacher1632 wrote:
I would love to see that research on GABA. I use it as it helps me sleep but ive never noticed any kind of ergogenic effects. my doses are between 3000 and 5500mg empty stomach before bed. Most users of HGH dont even raise their gh levels by 500% so I am very suspect of this data[/quote]

Honestly, I and anyone can post dozen’s of studies from pubmed on melatonin and GABA. I’m not going to do that. If you want to see the research, you now have a HUGE resource to look it up.

A secretagouge will only work in two real key times: before a workout and before bed. It wont be that effective at any other point, as insulin secretion from consumption of food will more or less negate the GH boost. It’s before a workout, where you can consume a pwo shake that would include simple carbs/amino’s to increase insulin and this would in turn, increase IGF higher than usual. IGF is what’s anabolic and what would in turn, offer an ergogenic benefit.

Exogenous HGH stays elevated continuously unlike a secretagouge. Once again, you can’t compare the two. Can you compare Dianabol to Alpha Male? No, not really.

I’ve never read of anyone taking GH for ergogenic benefits. People usually take it to liberate adipose stores and for anti-aging. Out of the two people I know who regularly use it (yes, yes I know. This is a small sample), they use it to just keep lean. If you are young and healthy, a GH boost won’t have the same effect on someone 40 or more.

Im limited in my knowledge of gh but I would be hardpressed to find any individual who had fat loss/anti-aging effects from gaba…but i guess results speak for themselves if theyre there

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.