T Nation

HGH for Injuries

Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a HGH protocol to help with a long term shoulder injury?

I'm 9 months post op and have a shit load of scare tissue and a possible frozen shoulder to boot would the HGH help or would I be pissing in the wind.

Thanks in advance

I had rotator cuff surgery two years ago, and had to follow the first surgery with a second one six months later to cut the scar tissue. After the fact, I learned that my surgeon had prescribed a very conservative recovery and PT, much too conservative for someone who wished to regain anywhere close to full range of movement. That’s why you see so many RC patients whose range of motion is limited to a Nazi salute… Not what I was looking for.

The good news is, after surgical release, I’d say I’m close to 90% range of motion, and returned to pull-ups, weighted dips, and overhead squats.

Would HGH have sped my recovery? Possibly. But I know it would not have prevented the buildup of scar tissue that restricted my ROM before the surgical release.

[quote]palama wrote:
Would HGH have sped my recovery? Possibly. But I know it would not have prevented the buildup of scar tissue that restricted my ROM before the surgical release.[/quote]
How do you know this?

Hey gaz I started hgh on my 2nd shoulder injury…Ive had 3 shoulder surgerys…My 1st no H the other 2 with it. It makes a difference…Not a miravle but it will shave 2-3 months off full recovery. 3ius per day or 5/2 works also low dose test cyp will help. Keep protien high and calscat maintence. Stick to rehab & cardio…

[quote]dbmata wrote:

[quote]palama wrote:
Would HGH have sped my recovery? Possibly. But I know it would not have prevented the buildup of scar tissue that restricted my ROM before the surgical release.[/quote]
How do you know this?[/quote]

In my case, the buildup of scar tissue was due to the limited movement prescribed after surgery, by my surgeon’s own admission. A much more vigorous, athletic PT protocol would have prevented scar tissue from forming to the extent that it did.

HGH will stimulate muscle growth, and I find personal benefit from its use in many other ways, but it does not dissolve scar tissue after the fact, the problem facing the original poster.

[quote]palama wrote:

[quote]dbmata wrote:

[quote]palama wrote:
How do you know this?[/quote]

In my case, the buildup of scar tissue was due to the limited movement prescribed after surgery, by my surgeon’s own admission. A much more vigorous, athletic PT protocol would have prevented scar tissue from forming to the extent that it did.

HGH will stimulate muscle growth, and I find personal benefit from its use in many other ways, but it does not dissolve scar tissue after the fact, the problem facing the original poster.
[/quote]
“After the fact” is different from your original claim. How do you know that it would not have stopped or minimized the creation of scar tissue during healing?

Have there been studies showing this? I’m looking through any literature I can find on the subject.

Or is it simply that mechanistically, HGH would have no effect on minimizing scar tissue formation during healing?

i thought hGH did reduce scar tissue… i’ve heard of several people who’ve had cosmetic scars reduce/fade after using it…

dbmata, the OP is asking for advice on wether or not HGH will benefit his situation after the fact. He’s nine months post op, with built up scar tissue, and a possible frozen shoulder. Will HGH help his shoulder mobility, reduce his scar tissue, and increase his range of motion?

I do not believe so.

Specifically to your question, I do not believe HGH would have prevented buildup of scar tissue in my case. My frozen shoulder was caused by following my surgeon’s conservative PT protocol, beginning with 8 weeks in a sling, and very limited movement. As I see it, the function of HGH does not prevent the formation of scar tissue.

If your research reveals otherwise, I’d be interested to know.

Hi Guys thanks for the advice and much appreciated

Palama looks like we both had the same recovery and rehab protocols, next step for me is a joint replacement according to the surgeon but I now have an excellent physio helping me to try and get the most out of the shoulder and I’m looking at all possible avenues to pursue in prolonging the life of the joint and trying to restore some more RoM.

some clinical evidence on the subject… granted, most of these are post-op, but still…

[quote]Gaz2403 wrote:
Hi Guys thanks for the advice and much appreciated

Palama looks like we both had the same recovery and rehab protocols, next step for me is a joint replacement according to the surgeon but I now have an excellent physio helping me to try and get the most out of the shoulder and I’m looking at all possible avenues to pursue in prolonging the life of the joint and trying to restore some more RoM.[/

Joint replacement seems extreme, am I missing something? I had great results from a surgical release. My RoM is near 100% pre-surgery levels, and strength has returned in the press and all other overhead moves. Muscle symmetry is back… No more atrophy on the trap or delt.

Just a thought.

[quote]palama wrote:
Specifically to your question, I do not believe HGH would have prevented buildup of scar tissue in my case. My frozen shoulder was caused by following my surgeon’s conservative PT protocol, beginning with 8 weeks in a sling, and very limited movement. As I see it, the function of HGH does not prevent the formation of scar tissue.

If your research reveals otherwise, I’d be interested to know.
[/quote]
Nothing outside of the anecdata and abstracts that cyco mentioned. I’m curious of this myself, as I’m using looking at mod-grf and ghrp2 for some tissue damage.

Aside from a couple patents from CC Lee, and a few pay gated abstracts, cyco’s links, I’ve not seen a lot. Which is why I asked.

I don’t have much faith in my surgeon to put it politely that’s why I’m exploring every possible avenue before I consider any more surgery.

I’m using a great physio now and we have a few ideas to try and get things back on track but like I said I’m happy to look at all possible ways to help