HGH for Height?

Hey I’m 21 5’9 1/2 170 and generally healthy.I hear you still grow a half inch to an inch usually between 20 and 25.Does this mean my growth plates aren’t closed?Is there a way to know?And if they aren’t can HGH help me grow more than that?

No it doesn’t mean that they are closed, but it doesn’t mean that they are open either. The only way to find this out, is to go to the doctors office. I remember when I broke my hand age 15 or so, we could actually see the space between the growth plates on the x-ray. So I think a simple doctors visit will be able to help you out.

I have read a few things about HGH and growth. Most of the studies that I have read, talked about giving HGH to children or teenagers. Hell it was on CNN a year or two ago.

If you in it just for growing taller, I wouldn’t recommend dosing it yourself or any knowledge that you would receive here. I would go and ask a doctor. But there are plenty of girls that are short and have low self-esteem like yourself. Joking… I think.

quest

thanks yeah I’m not self concious of my height I was thinking about it and if i could get a few inches taller then why not…even if it costs some money.

Very unlikely. I have heard that some women can naturally gain statue in low 20’s. But this is very rare.

[quote]mikey888 wrote:
thanks yeah I’m not self concious of my height I was thinking about it and if i could get a few inches taller then why not…even if it costs some money.[/quote]

you should have picked taller parents or eaten more fruits, veggies, meat and healthy fats as a kid, that would have been your best shot at getting those couple inches.

on the bright side, you don’t have to worry about everything being too small for you as most things are designed for average sized people.

[quote]mikey888 wrote:
Hey I’m 21 5’9 1/2 170 and generally healthy.I hear you still grow a half inch to an inch usually between 20 and 25.Does this mean my growth plates aren’t closed?Is there a way to know?And if they aren’t can HGH help me grow more than that?[/quote]

1. No doc in his right mind will give ANYONE who is your height HGH for the purpose of growing taller. So forget about it.

2. If a doc were to administer HGH to someone for the reasons of growth, first he would do a blood draw and see where your GH levels are at. Second, the person would pretty much have to be deficient in GH and/or under 5’5 for a male.

3. Ive never heard of anyone over the age of 18 given GH to increase height.

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
mikey888 wrote:
Hey I’m 21 5’9 1/2 170 and generally healthy.I hear you still grow a half inch to an inch usually between 20 and 25.Does this mean my growth plates aren’t closed?Is there a way to know?And if they aren’t can HGH help me grow more than that?

1. No doc in his right mind will give ANYONE who is your height HGH for the purpose of growing taller. So forget about it.

2. If a doc were to administer HGH to someone for the reasons of growth, first he would do a blood draw and see where your GH levels are at. Second, the person would pretty much have to be deficient in GH and/or under 5’5 for a male.

3. Ive never heard of anyone over the age of 18 given GH to increase height.
    [/quote]

It’s obvious a doctor wouldn’t prescribe HGH for someone without a height problem…I am asking on a steroid forum…be creative :\

you could get your legs broken and have them stretched. i’m quite sure that GH will help that healing process.

i think people are trying to tell you politely that your chances of increaseing your height are pretty much nil.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
you could get your legs broken and have them stretched. i’m quite sure that GH will help that healing process.

i think people are trying to tell you politely that your chances of increaseing your height are pretty much nil.[/quote]

While thats possible it seems more like people are taking guessing and know pretty much nil about the subject.Interesting point about the legs thing though…do you know about how growth plates work by any chance(ages they close up at)

It is possible to grow .5 to 1.5 inches during your early teens. However, this is not long bone growth but spinal colomn growth, mostly in terms of disks.

At 21, growth plates are generally 99.999% fused (I say this because human variation can be very important especially if diseases or significant constitutional growth/puberty delays are taken into accounts).

In terms of effectiveness, most of the growth from HGH treatement comes during the early to mid teens with significantly reducing returns with advancing age.

Sadly for anyone interested in adulthood growth there really exists the possibility of having your tibia and fibulas surgically broken, braced with metal pins at a distance sufficient to induce bone repair without achieving bone fusion until desired lenght is achieved.

I first heard of this in a documentary from a lab in Russia. It is now done to significant expense in Japan mainly in females as there is a important increase in terms of income for taller women.

While this is true of probably all countries (at least in the States where similar studies where conducted), I doubt that the income difference over a lifetime would make it a wise investement.

In terms of self-esteem and scoring with chicks…the story might be different!

Anyway,
AlexH

[quote]mikey888 wrote:
ubl0 wrote:

i think people are trying to tell you politely that your chances of increaseing your height are pretty much nil.

While thats possible it seems more like people are taking guessing and know pretty much nil about the subject.Interesting point about the legs thing though…do you know about how growth plates work by any chance(ages they close up at)

[/quote]

i think the previous post has most the information you are looking for. chances are that your plates are closed or nearly so. at this point, aggressive GH therapy would probably lead only to bone growth but not lengthening. certainty can never be given as there is quite some variation, but chances are you will be 5’9.5" like me unless you get one of those silly lengthening procedures done, but that will most likely hobble your sports performance and make you look like a loser compared to the short guy who just ran circles around you. c’est la vie

[quote]mikey888 wrote:
ubl0 wrote:

[/quote]

who says we know nil? You’d be quite suprised…

Another point I would like to add. I called my doctor about this today.

He says that just because your plates aren’t closed doesn’t mean you will continue to grow. Quite often growth plates don’t completely fuse together until a person is in there late teens and sometimes early 20’s, yet that person might never grow another inch after the age of 13. It really can vary.

And GH isn’t the end all be all for height. It can really vary. Someone can have higher than normal GH levels and be short, and vice versa. Test and estrogen levels also play a big part in height as well.

Not only that, he says he has seen quite a few people shell out thousands of dollars for GH therapy and only get a half inch.

Back to the original poster. So you don’t want GH for height…Then why do you want it? Do you even know your GH levels? Do you know that GH is estremely risky to use without being medically supervised? That reasonable, safe GH therapy isn’t gonna add much size on you unless your deficient in it and older? That GH is best served for grown adults over the age of 35 for recovery/injury prevention/healing/sore joints?

Just a few points…

Bump.

I’m 17, haven’t grown more than 0.5 inches since 14, and I’m 6’0.5 in the morning at the skull top. I know it might sound ridiculous to ask this, since I’m above average in height slightly, but, could HGH give me another inch maybe? How expensive? Obviously, I’d have to get it illegally, or whatever.

I’m extremely self-conscious about my height. I come from an extremely tall family, on both sides. My Father is a hair under 6’3 and every male in my gene pool going back 2 generations is 6’2 or above. I’m extremely pissed off about being slightly above average. If you’re considering responding, please ignore the asinine nature of my question :slight_smile: Anywho, yeah, just asking :smiley:

im like 5’4 and have actually gone to a doctor before when i was younger about it. she definately knew her shit (according to her degrees anyway) and told me that growth hormones dont usually help out with height unless administed at about 8 years old.

She also took an xray of my hand and u could very obvisously see whether the growth plates were closed or not (whether you’re gonna grow or not) so all it takes is a simple xray, took about 5 seconds.

A buddy of mine has identical twin boys and for some reason the one boy is shorter than the other. I know that they have him on HGH therapy to help him get that extra inch or two. I am not sure what all the specifics are, as in what height he started at and doses and sort of thing but I do know for a fact that is working.

But like its already been said they are 10 or 11 years old. I will have to ask him what their plans are as far as how long they will keep him on it and how much he has grown due to the HGH.

I don’t know much about HGH but a friend of mine is just finishing taking it. He has taken it for over a year now and while I have no clue to the dosing protocols, he started it at age 17. He looked like a 12 year old before he began HGH and now looks normal. Also, he grew about 4-5 inches.