Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

That’s my issue too these days.

05/11/2017

Woke up at 201.2lbs. I was a little ‘snacky’ last night and got into some mini eggs. Not too worried about it.

Took the day off from work. Spent the better part of the morning bushwacking through the woods to try and find our cat that got out. Fortunately I was able to find him, or my wife would have killed me.

I was able to read a few more sections 5/3/1 Forever a bit more thoroughly.
I really do like the book, good layout, fairly clear, but I do have one piece of constructive criticism for it.

Editing. I’ll leave it at that…

Anyways, I got in a solid workout this afternoon:

###Week 3 5/3/1 5’s PRO, BBB

Agile 8

Bench
135 x 5
205 x 5
245 x 5
275 x 5
305 x 5

I did banded pullaparts, facepulls and dislocated between sets.

Press
115 x 10 x 5

Giant Set
Ab Wheel
10 x 5

25lb Plate Front Raise
25, 15, 15, 20, 25

Bodyweight Tricep Extension on Barbell @ Squat Height
10 x 5

6 Likes

What a fuckin tease :joy:

2 Likes

Yesterday’s post workout meal.

• 1 scoop Metabolic Drive
  • Enough almond milk to make chocolate sauce consistency
  • Strawberry and pineapple chunks

Also, if you didn’t notice the background…my Neversate t-shirts arrived! They are super sexy.

5 Likes

Neversate T-Shirt has got to give you an extra 5lbs on all strong man movements, ya??

(Disclaimer: Only if worn while performing the strongman movement.)

2 Likes

I would think more than that. I felt stronger yesterday by just having it in my mailbox! (and I didn’t even know it was there)

I can’t imagine the insta-gainz that are going to come with this shirt.

I wore it out to dinner yesterday and I ate like a Strongman. Oops.

6 Likes

Haha! That actually made me laugh outright :ok_hand:

1 Like

At least you ate like a stongman. I’ve just been eating like a fat ass lately. Had another 4000+ calorie day yesterday. I’m having those about once every two to three days now…

3 Likes

Random question: how do you insert your excel/table looking thingy to show your 5/3/1 reps?

How are your energy levels eating the way your eating right now? I’m only eating rice/potatoes before/post workout for the next few weeks but besides that loading up on everything else lol.

@Frank_C - I actually just copy and paste into the post creator. (literally ctrl + c, ctrl + v) It copies the image but also places the text. Then I just delete the text.

@isdatnutty - Well my energy levels are amazing right now. I’ve gone back to maintenance calories and reintroduced carbs (100-200g/day). I’m also taking Plazma, and consuming a Finibar if I haven’t eaten in a couple hours leading up to my workout. So ya, energy is perfect. The only thing keeping me down is the lack of squatting. Today is supposed to be squats, so I’ll go to the gym and figure something out.

And rice and potatoes are a beautiful thing in the peri-workout window. Those are definitely two go-to carb sources for me.

3 Likes

05/13/2017

Yesterday’s Workout

Deadlift
135 x 10
255 x 10
255 x 10
255 x 10
255 x 10
255 x 10
All sets were done double overhand. Between sets I did 5 total sets of 10 hanging leg raises.

Superset

SSB Good Mornings
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

BB Curls
45 x 25
45 x 25
45 x 25
45 x 25
45 x 25

Superset

Lat Plate Raise
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10

DB Hammer Curls
35 x 10
30 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10

Good pump session. I still can’t squat with my knee unfortunately so I added some additional volume to get some work in. This is the first session in a long time that all reps ranges were 10+.

EDIT: This morning I jumped on the AirDyne for 20mins and reached 4.8miles. Just a slow pace to get the blood moving. Just marking this for future reference.

3 Likes

I still can’t squat without hip pain so I’m not doing it. I can front squat but noticed a small twinge in my hip during that so I’m considering throwing in the towel altogether until that stops. Have you thought of any single leg work for your good leg? I don’t seem to have much problem with my reverse lunges so I was considering keeping those and adding rear foot elevated split squats. I’ve never really loaded up any single leg movements and done low reps. I’m curious if I do that until I can squat pain free then would the results transfer? Theory says yes (I think). If I improve quad strength then it should help my squat. What do you think? Care to join me in an experiment if you’re going to have to pass on squats for a while? You’d only be working one leg (if you can without pain) but there’s a slight crossover effect.

I have actually started thinking about single leg work for my good leg. I don’t like the thought of working one without the other, but I’m sure this would be better than completely neglecting both quads.

So I would likely be interested in trying some loaded 1-legged movements with you and seeing how it goes.

1 Like

I’ve always heard this is a small crossover effect (10-15% at best) so any improvement in the good leg is also received by the bad one.

And like you said, there’s no reason to let both legs de-train. I’m going to continue deadlifting but I think I’ll try loading up the split squats Wednesday on my pushing day. I’ve never really gone below 6 reps per leg but I’m going to push it and probably try the 5/4/3 wave loading scheme.

We definitely won’t be worse for trying it but I’m hopeful it will actually transfer to squats when I can do those pain free again.

1 Like

I tried loading up rear foot elevated split squats once. It felt OK for sure.

1 Like

05/15/2017

Well this week is a scheduled deload week but I’m taking this opportunity to test my TM’s. Now that I’ve lost 10+lbs I do feel that my strength has taken a SMALL hit. No use being stubborn and keeping my TM’s too high. I have been using 90% of my 1RM for my TM so I’m aiming to get at least 3 reps with my TM weight.

I have a Dr. appt this afternoon to have my knee looked at. I just want to make sure that nothing is actually wrong with it. It has now been 2 weeks without being able to squat, so that is enough time for me to want to find some answers.

This weekend was horrible, nutrition-wise. A few friends were home from out of town, and my wife was away. We went pretty hard Fri and Sat. This week I’ll really dial it in and hopefully un-do some of the damage done this weekend.

AM
Press
45 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 3
155 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 5
215 x 4 ← This was my TM for this cycle. I wasn’t sure about 215 as 195 felt heavy, but I’m happy to put up 4 here.

Band Pullaparts, Dislocates and Facepulls between sets.

Bench
135 x 5
160 x 10 x 5

These were really easy. If I’m going to run BBB again, I’m definitely going to run my bench sets at 60-70% rather than 50%. Squats and deadlifts are fine to be left at 50% as I still feel like they fulfill their intended purpose. With bench, it seems effortless.

Bodyweight back extensions between sets.

2 Likes

I’m with ya man, similar situation happened to me. Don’t sweat it, reel it in the next couple days, maybe lower carbs a bit, make sure to get plenty of water and it’s all good.

3 Likes

Look up Eric Bugenhagens split squats and one legged squat videos. He really only goes super heavy with one leg and he’s ungodly strong at shit like that.

My knees and tightness wouldn’t let me back squat for a while, so I started doing heavy split squats in the front rack for a bit to see. I had some carryover to back and front squatting, but nothing out of the ordinary. I did, however, find that doing them allowed me to open my hips a ton and jump higher as well as give my low back a break and add size to my legs. Once the front rack could not be supported anymore in the movement, I started doing them with the bar on the ground like a Jefferson split squat (a la Bugenhagen) and progressed from there. Eventually I dropped them as a main movement because I could squat again, but I still use them as assistance for extremely high reps (~30-50)

1 Like

I’m going to give them a shot. I’ve always liked having a single leg movement in my programs to help activate my smaller stabilizing muscles. It might be the cure cure my nagging hip/low back pain. Through PT I’ve learned I have a tight glute medius on the bad side and weak adductors. Some single leg work and a little hip abduction and adduction should help.

1 Like