Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

I think you’re underestimating the amount of money you spend on supps if you take protein, creating and zinc. I don’t take a lot more than that, this is just purchasing the products in bulk and adding Plazma. I usually have protein pre & post workout and sometimes use it to supplement meals.
Only buying a couple pounds at a time, it doesn’t seem like much, but this would be setting myself up for a good chunk of time.
Expanding my home gym is currently limited by space more so than available funds (which I’m not complaining about).

Glad to hear it, thanks Mark.

Ok, this is definitely encouraging. Thanks!

04/13/2017

Well I thought it was a rest day, but that comes tomorrow! So here we go:

Wave 1/Week 3/Day 3 - Wednesday

CONDITIONING - ~3:00 Minutes Work / ~1:00 Minute Rest for 4 Rounds
4 35lb DB Turkish Get-Ups (2 Each Side)
15 35lb DB Swings
5 Power Cleans @ 135lbs
5 Burpee Lateral Jumps

STRENGTH - 6 Rounds
3 Weighted Pull-Ups @ +70lbs
2 Overhead Presses @ 205lbs
:45 Second Weighted Plank @ 25lb plate on my arse

Program called for 90s weighted planks…I don’t think I can do 90s regular plank. The 45s was plenty with the added weight. Planks are not my strength.

STRONGMAN (SPEED)
At the Top of Every Minute For 12 Minutes
50 Foot Keg Carry @ 135lb keg
4 Keg to Shoulder (then 3, 2, 1, 1, 0, 0, etc)

I was supposed to do 4 keg to shoulder after each 50ft carry. My posterior chain was smoked, so I laddered down the reps, then just focused on getting the carries in. It was 25ft, turn, 25ft. The posterior chain work has been relatively light, but quite high volume this week, so I didn’t have much left and didn’t want to tweak anything.

2 Likes

I just checked, I paid 46 € for protein and zinc two months ago and am not running empty. I also paid 13 € for creatin last week which will last a few months. You either buy much more expansive stuff or I consume smaller portions. :smiley:

Haha yep, you definitely don’t consume as much! Do you consume 1 scoop per workout?

I’m closer to 2 scoops per day. Usually more if it’s a workout day. Also, when I say 1 scoop, I mean 1 heaping scoop!

Actually between 25 and 50 grams of protein powder a day on average. 1 zinc capsule a day (not asure about the zinc amount I would have to read that up but one capsule it is on the lower end I suppose) and about 5 grams (roughly - I take 1,5 scoops of this little scoop that was included) of creatine a day.

Ya zinc/creatine are pretty cheap. How many lbs of protein did you get for the $46?

That would typically get my ~3-4lbs of the cheap stuff. With Metabolic Drive I’m paying $35 for 2lbs. Definitely a little more expensive, but if it is better for me and I can see results, than it’s worth it 100%. I put too much time and effort in the gym to be selling myself short on my protein/intra workout nutrition. If I have to pay 50% more for protein and add in some Plazma to push myself to the next level, then sign me up!

Agreed…

2 Likes

:smirk: haha thanks.

On the note of physique:

I didn’t weigh myself this morning, but I did look the most ‘full’ I have been in awhile. I may have treated myself with half of a homemade brownie that a friend of mine left at our place last night. It was post workout and I’m sure my body was happy to have a few carbs.

Today is my ACTUAL rest day. I did my 30min LISS this morning (dog walking) followed by some foam rolling and will do that again tonight with possibly the addition of some HIIT Airdyne time.

After seeing some fullness come back to me (still with only 100g carbs yesterday) I’m looking forward to slowly re-introducing carbs in May for the final push. I will have Plazma added to my stack by then and hope to take things to the next level.

No more teaser pics until the unveil on June 1st.

6 Likes

Aside from the strongman stuff this is all you need…plus a platform built into it. Don’t be fooled by the Smith machine part. That bar will lock at the top of the rack out of the way and you can put a regular bar in and treat it like a power rack. I love it. Multiple cables would be glorious in my basement. I think it’s around $4500 retail.

Haha, I think that rack would be a bodybuilder’s wet dream, but I wouldn’t even value that rack much more than my $450 one at home. Cable work doesn’t really get me going the way free weights do.

The strongman implements are what I’m planning on getting. I’m debating on ordering the Rogue Y-2 yoke and then selling my power rack. There is a guy who lives about 1.5hrs away selling one used, but he isn’t very negotiable on his price…as seems to be the case with most used exercise equipment near me. Everyone pretty much wants to get full new price for their stuff.

I could use it as a power rack, yoke, zercher carries, atlas stone over bar, sled, etc. ~$900 shipped to my door.
But then I’d likely add on some safety spotter arms, a Rogue Bench, etc…so now we are into some decent coin.

6 Likes

As an aside, one of the local gyms here asked for my input on ways to spend some money, talked 'em into a yoke

4 Likes

Alright, I get it. When you’re like me and not exceptionally strong then you veer towards physique lol.

I like cables for rows, fly’s, arms, and shoulder training…Which is at least half of what I do.

1 Like

Don’t sell yourself short! You are ahead of me in some, and not behind me by much in other lifts.

Just different goals. I’ve been fortunate to be able to put on mass by focusing on the main compound lifts and some moderate assistance. I do use bands and dumbbells for some isolation movements, but don’t feel as though the cables deserve that type of investment for the path I’m currently on.

A yoke, farmer’s walk handles, atlas stones, big ass tractor tire, axle, SSB, sled and GHD or Reverse Hyper will all likely be added to the toolbox before my next cable/pulley!

3 Likes

That’s great to have a gym owner who actually cares enough to ask the members what they would like to see added to the gym!

1 Like

5 kg/ 11 lbs. I can totally understand you though, we probably are just on a different level.

11lb for $45? Holy smokes. Ya, I’d probably be sticking with that too if I could get it for that cheap and found it to work!

I’ve been working on the squat stance deadlift and had a question for ya: do you find the grip to be a bit more tricky? I typically do an alternating grip and switch which hand is over/under so I don’t develop some weird imbalance. I’ve found that when my arms are inside my knees the bar wants to rotate. If my right hand is the underhand grip the right side of the bar starts moving forward. The obvious solution is to use double overhand or double underhand but I was curious if you’ve had the same experience and/or any solutions.

Myprotein is the brand, isn’t that available in Canada? They sponsor or at least used to sponsor a lot of strongmen

Works fine based off my experience. Shall not say more since this is a Biotest sponsored site after all. Still wanna get some plazma one day though, I was given a discount code by Chris to offset the shipping costs and it’s still a lil too pricy for me… Like 1/2 my monthly spendings type of pricy.

I have had this exact issue actually. For the challenge, I used double overhand with straps, so there wasn’t an issue. Last time I tried this with mixed grip the bar did want to rotate on me. Not bad for singles, but for reps it adds an additional battle with the bar, trying to fight to rotation. I still feel that the lift was faster/smoother, but I will have to put some more time into it to learn ways to control the rotation. If you figure out a solution before me, be sure to pass it along!
Sorry I can’t be of more help.

@Koestrizer - This is actually my regular supplier as well. Maybe the Canadian Myprotein site is more expensive? My last 2 orders have been around 10lbs each and even with big BOGO sales it’s still $10/lb +tax+shipping.

@Benanything - Ya not doubt that the supps ‘work fine’, but I’m fortunate enough to have the funds to give the Biotest products a fair trial. Since lifting is really my only hobby that I put money into at this point, I’m willing to give the products a go if it can help me achieve a better physique, additional strength gains, or better recovery. Let’s hope for all 3. This may be my last year of really all out lifting before our family grows in size and time becomes a more limiting factor. If an additional $500 will ensure I get the most out of my last intense year of training, I won’t even hesitate to throw it down.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a solution other than to avoid mixed grip. There’s no way to get my arm/hand to face straight ahead when it’s supinated and moved inside my leg. It’s slightly angled. I think it’s an anatomical thing.