Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Haha stopped just short of the puking point. Actually very fun. These workouts have been a big change of pace for me and have been quite enjoyable so far. A different way of pushing my limits.
Taking weight that isn’t typically much of a struggle and putting it in super or giant sets with short or no rest periods sure changes the stimulus of the lift.
Going to play this out for a few months and see what happens. Getting outside for some exercise is a nice change too as the weather slowly starts getting nicer.

4 Likes

Breakfast this morning. Avocado, 4 local farm fresh eggs, homemade smoked bacon (a friend of mine brought over for me last night) with grated turmeric root, ground pepper and sriracha sauce. Banana and natural peanut butter. Oh, and can’t forget the caffeine.

8 Likes

That looks delish! :heart_eyes: Can’t wait to have avocado and PB again. :grimacing:

4 Likes

@jamie1888 - Buuuut…avocado is green… :stuck_out_tongue:

04/09/2017

Wave 1/Week 2/Day 6 - Saturday

SPEED - At the Top of Every Minute for 10 Minutes, complete:
3 Bench Presses @ 225lbs

And Max Effort Inverted Rows on a suspension trainer for the remainder of the minute

STRONGMAN EVENTS - 6 Rounds
100 Foot Yoke walk @ 135lbs. 225lbs, 295lbs, 365lbs x 5

The first round of 365lbs rag dolled me. Realized after about 50’ that I needed to take MUCH shorter steps. I was walking down the driveway like a drunk. Forward, backward, side-to-side. The short/fast steps let me control the swing of the weight much better. This still isn’t significant weight, but it was tiring.

Pullups
12, 12, 8, 8, 10 (Short rests)

Good little Sunday workout. Week 2 in the books.

4 Likes

@jamie1888 - Buuuut…avocado is green… :stuck_out_tongue:

Buiuuut… it’s not a vegetable :weary:

1 Like

4 Likes

Pretty jealous of your training at the minute!

2 Likes

Ya, it is pretty fun and each day is completely different. The conditioning portion of each workout is a new spin and an apparent weakness.

I’m hoping that running this for 10+weeks will really improve my work capacity going forward (this will be extremely helpful for my strongman comp) as well as improving my efficiency in the implements I have available.

Also, I’ve been running on no direct carbs now for 2 weeks and I’m feeling great. Stomach, energy levels, libido, joints, sleep, mood, etc are all great. It helps that I love my fatty foods…

I could see myself sticking to this type of diet year 'round. Obviously, eating carbs here and there as I could not avoid pizza, beer, and burgers on a bun forever, but remaining on high fat/high protein/low carb for the most part.

5 Likes

Is this your sick idea of a yoke?! Because that seems absolutely, brilliantly hard, if that’s what it is.

2 Likes

Hey I’m considering giving the whole high fat, high protein thing a try since it seems so popular right now but I’m struggling to figure out how to get enough fats. Would you mind posting a typical day of what you eat if you got the time?

1 Like

^^^^
I 2nd this. I’m mostly curious what the hell you eat while avoiding carbs. I tried sticking to 100g per day for a week and just starved most days.

1 Like

So incredibly jealous of the strict pressing, especially when comparing it to your other lifts. Your ratios are very enviable to me.

1 Like

Haha, yessir. Chains hanging from a 7’, 2"D post with some homemade loading pins. If you aren’t graceful and fluid with your steps and the chains get swinging, and you pretty much walk where it wants you to.

@caesium32, @Frank_C - I LOVE fatty foods. Low carb/high fat dieting feels like cheating to me.

Peanut/almond butter
Cream in coffee
Don’t hold back on cooking with oil
Almonds
Avocados
Fatty meats (pork, burgers, etc)

I guess this would be a relatively normal day of eating for me.

3 Likes

Masochist… haha

1 Like

What’s up with the lean ground beef? I get the fattiest I can buy :wink:, usually that’s 80/20.

It seems to be the one that keeps going on sale! Plus, I suppose getting my fats from almonds, avocados and nut butter is slightly healthier??? ← no clue if this is true.

1 Like

I really like bread. My breakfast/pre-workout meal on my days off from work is egg sandwiches. 3 eggs scrambled with melted Pepperjack cheese sandwiched between delicious slices of toasted bread. Double that and it’s 989 calories, 82.2g carbs, 46.5g fat, & 61.7g protein.

Mmmmm

Aside from my bread problem I think I could manage the other stuff. I buy 1/4 of a cow every year and last year I split a hog with my brother on top of that. Did I mention my wife is vegan?

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of bread too. I love toast with my eggs in the morning (cinnamon raisin with butter, specifically), sandwiches for lunch, and wraps for dinner. Unfortunately, that doesn’t help with my fat loss efforts.

Lol, well you have to look out for #1!

Overall, though I don’t really feel hungry, can enjoy some fatty foods without feeling guilty, and I’m losing fat. I’m sold.

1 Like

I think it’s great if if works for you. I just suck at avoiding carbs. I’m also usually trying to add muscle (without much luck) or increase strength. From what little sense I can make of nutrition it seems I need carbs to help with both of those goals.

1 Like

I agree with this. It seems as though carbs would be the go to source for energy and muscle gain…but then there is Alpha (Brian Alsruhe) who swears by this dieting approach. I know, I know, he is probably the exception not the rule, but I’m fully buying into his training so I figured I would buy into his nutrition and give his overall program a whirl.
Nothing but great reviews from me so far (albeit only 2 weeks deep). Time will tell, but I’m anticipating some great improvements over the course of the next 8 weeks!

1 Like