Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

It was the start of Feb that I reduced them, I’m doing more of a carb cycle approach. Low carb days I aim for below 80, that’s normally Monday, Wednesday, Friday and sat. Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday are higher to coincide with training, so around 150-200 for two of the training days and leg day I go all out and have no restriction.

Not mega low but for me it’s low as I relied on carbs heavily to build mass.

Funny you mention getting ill, same happened to me the week after I dropped carbs. I put it down to the diet change.

1 Like

Yea, I was wondering if the illness was purely from the diet or not. Tried to pretend it wasn’t since there was a cold going around the office…but more signs are pointing towards the diet being the culprit.

Oh well, on the tail end of it now and the scale is moving. So I’m hoping that energy levels come back to norm, the illness subsides and then it is just a road to shred-town. Only time will tell…

13.5? More like 19.3! I guestimate cooked beef is about 70% of its raw weight based on the various numbers I found on a USDA chart. 70% fell in the middle. The yield changes based on how well you cook it.

On a different note, I did the Deadlift challenge today and managed 6 reps. Tried the squat stance but felt better going conventional during warm-ups.

1 Like

04/03/2017

Wave 1/Week 2/Day 1 - Monday

SPEED & CONDITIONING -At the top of Every Minute for 10 Minutes, Complete
3 Squats @ 60% of Your 1RM
Then Burpees For the Remainder of the Minute

Squats@315lbs/Burpees
3/8, 3/8, 3/5, 3/5, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/5

I’m not going to blame having a cold or the lack of carbs. MY CONDITIONING SUCKS! This whooped my ass. Bracing for a 315lb squat becomes impossible when you can’t catch your breath from burpees. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

STRENGTH - 5 Rounds
3 Weighted Pull-Ups (+45lbs) - These weren’t too bad, 5th round I did 6.
3 Axle Strict Presses (205lbs) - These felt pretty heavy, but completed all reps of all rounds.
5 DB Windmills (Each Side) (50lb DB) - I’d never done this movement before. Supposed to be done with a KB. Felt ok, working the shoulder stability and obliques.

These rounds were done with plenty of rest between rounds as I’m supersetting with making spaghetti squash.

ACCESSORY - (8:00 Minutes)
:20 Seconds “Z” Presses (115lbs - 10, 8, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5)
:10 Seconds Rest
:20 Seconds Single Arm Farmer’s Carry (70lb DB - Right, Left, R, L, R, L, R, L)
:10 Seconds Rest
This little circuit got the sweat pouring again.

3 Likes

Haha even better! I’m pretty sure I’ve been weighing my protein after cooking this entire time for tracking my cals…this may explain the difficulty losing weight…

Live and learn…

EDIT: Nice work on the challenge. Yeah, I’m sure the stance isn’t for everyone, and maybe once I bring it closer to my 1RM the conventional may feel better. But for the EMOM it felt pretty comfortable.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried sumo stance. My legs are so long I’d risk losing a toe.

In regards to tracking your food, I think as long as you’re consistent with your estimates then you’ll be fine when you try to add or gain. You eat X amount of steak at your current weight then you obviously reduce that to lose weight. Who cares if you go from an estimated 15oz to 10oz or an actual 20oz to 15oz? Either way you’re decreasing by 5oz.

I was eating 3600 calories before I got my scale. Now I’m eating 2800 but don’t look much different. I’m just more accurate now.

1 Like

I’ve been digging around on neversate and can’t seem to find this, just curious and wanted to take a look at it as I, myself need to get myself under control, ha.

I can’t link it here, but if you just google “neversate healthy eating challenge” it is the top link.
Kind of like the green faces diet, or a keto diet. No direct carbs, higher fat, no processed foods, etc. Nothing revolutionary, but I do quite well (fat-loss-wise) on low/no carbs.

04/04/2017

Wave 1/Week 2/Day 2 - Tuesday

CONDITIONING - As Many Rounds As Possible in 8 Minutes
10 Back Extensions
10 Wide Grip Pull-Ups (Done rest/pause style - since I can’t do multiple sets of 10 of wide grip pullups)

I completed 4 full rounds and on the 5th round I got 10 back extensions and 6 wide grip pullups before the 8min timer ran out.

STRENGTH
Take 20 Minutes to work up to a 1RM Double Overhand Axle Clean

55 x 5
75 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 3
145 x 2
165 x 1
185 x 1

Then take 70% of your top set and perform the following
Round 1
4 Double Over Hand Axle Cleans (@135lbs)
Sprint 400 Meters

DEAD - whoa, I need to sprint more. This took awhile to recover from…

Round 2
Sprint 200 Meters, Walk 200m

Round 3
Sprint 200 Meters, Walk 200m

I was supposed to do 5 rounds here with a backwards sled drag, but my conditioning was not going to allow it. My sled is at the back of the property and it was pouring rain out. I did my cleans in the garage (after fumbling my bar and weight from my basement to the garage) then did my sprints up the side of the road. I can only assume everyone that drove by thought I was crazy for running in this weather. We are supposed to get 50mm+ (2"+) of rain tomorrow, things are about to get extremely wet around here.

5 Likes

Sprint 400m, eh? How’d that go? I don’t think I could break 70 seconds on a 400.

2 Likes

The most difficult thing I have done in a long time…

I’m going to attempt to incorporate sprints into my weekly training going forward, my conditioning needs help.

1 Like

Mine too but I lift in my basement while my 10 month old naps. Can’t leave the house. My daughter watches and wants to do “exercises” with me. I take them to the Y but I play basketball. I’m a sucker for trying to dunk on the youngsters.

3 Likes

Well this time next year I’ll likely be in a similar situation as my wife and I are preparing our lives for an addition before too long.

I totally understand. I’m vertically challenged, so that’s not in my deck of cards, but I never mind showing up some young pups who think they can challenge an old hack (Ok, still <30yrs old, but still) to something I’m adequate at.

2 Likes

04/05/2017

Wave 1/Week 2/Day 3 - Wednesday

CONDITIONING - :30 Seconds Work / :30 Seconds Rest for 7 Rounds
Bearwalk 30 Seconds, then take :30 seconds of rest for 7 Rounds. (3 laps back and forth of my basement per 30s)

STRONGMAN EVENTS - 5 Rounds
50 Foot Farmer’s Walk @ 185lbs per hand (last round I did 115ft)
4 Keg Clean & Presses (Clean Every Rep) @ 135lb Keg

Grip was getting close to breaking on that last round trip of 115ft. Keg wasn’t bad at this weight, but did get my lungs going.

STRENGTH - 3 Rounds
15 Front Squats immediately followed by @135lbs
7 Jumping Squats Holding a 20lb DB
10 Hanging Knees to Elbows (5 rounds of these)

Once again, conditioning getting worked hard here. Sweat pouring, gasping for air. I took the front squat very light. My left knee has been bugging me since the DL challenge. Not from the lifting but from actual bar contact with my knee on each rep. I have a noticeable bump on my left knee from childhood when I had Osgood-Schlatter disease (that’s a real thing, look it up), and each rep of the challenge bumped it and it has been sensitive to bend since. Long story short, I went light to let my knee fully heal up.

Nice, quick, clean workout. Fun stuff.

2 Likes

There is an article on here the 6-6-6 sprint challenge or something of the sort, 6 sprints, 6 days a week, for 6 weeks, may be right up your alley if you haven’t been turned onto it yet.

2 Likes

Oops, didn’t mean to delete my reply…

Medium Rare to Rare for the Win! :trophy:

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually saw @isdatnutty mention it in another thread and I went and looked it up.

I may attempt some type of similar progression down the road, but for now might just mix in some sprints a few times a week. My goal isn’t to be better at sprinting necessarily, just to be better conditioned. Sprinting is currently something I’m very inefficient at so I’d like to take advantage of this inefficiency…if that made any sense at all.

My mother-in-law enjoys her steak straight off the cow. Definitely not my style. I swear she just sears the steak on the BBQ.
I used to be medium-well, I’ve more recently started enjoying my steaks a LITTLE more rare than that. Medium to medium rare at most pour moi.

MMmmmm, too much steak talk to not have steak tonight…

3 Likes

04/08/2017

Wave 1/Week 2/Day 5 - Friday
STRONGMAN CONDITIONING
3:00 Minutes Max Effort Atlas Stone Shouldering (145lb Stone - 10+ times)
3:00 Minutes Max Effort Burpee Bar Touches (20+ Burpees)
2:00 Minutes Max Effort Atlas Stone Shouldering (145lb Stone - 6 times)
2:00 Minutes Max Effort Burpee Bar Touches (10 Burpees - conditioning limit reached)
1:00 Minute Max Effort Atlas Stone Shouldering (145lb Stone - 3 times)
1:00 Minute Max Effort Burpee Bar Touches (5 Burpees)

I underestimated the temperature outside when I went out to do this set. It was 0 Celsius and windy. My lungs were hurting pretty bad after this 12mins and couldn’t feel my hands for much of the cold atlas stone lifts. I’m happy to be doing so many new things in my training, because I’m really managing to find inefficient movements to tax my conditioning more.

STRENGTH - 6 Rounds
2 Deadlifts @ 80% of your 1RM (475lbs)
10 Crunches with 25lb plate held behind head

Played around with my deadlift stance for these doubles. Conventional, sumo, semi-sumo, and squat stance. I’m still happy about how the squat stance setup felt with 80% on the bar. Out of all of the stances, I think it had the best speed throughout the lift. I’m thinking next round of testing I will give this a go for a new 1RM, and have a feeling I’m going to be north of 600lbs.

ACCESSORY - As Many Rounds As Possible in 10 Minutes
5 Barbell Rows @ 225lbs (w/straps)
10 Bodyweight Dips
12 Banded Straight Arm Pulldowns

I just pounded these accessory movements out very quickly as a couple buddies started showing up for cards night at my place. I think I did a half ass 5 rounds of the above movements and just called it a day.

6 Likes

Sure but how many times did you puke??? Hahaha that looks brutal and like so much fun.

3 Likes