Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Oh also, your log press is coming along nicely. The numbers are pretty tasty I must say. Keep it up.

2 Likes

@strongmanvinny2 - haha who wants to be the skinny boy anyways

And thanks, happy with the way the log press came along. Itā€™s a challenging but fun liftā€¦unlike that facking continental clean and press.

1 Like

02/08/2017

5/3/1 Deload Week

Week 4 Day 2

Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5
315 x 5

I was doing 5 burpees in between each set just to keep the heart rate up a bit.

SuperSet
Back Raises
20, 20, 20, 20

Leg Raises
15, 15, 10, 10, 8, 7

SuperSet
Captains of Crush
Trainer: 20, No. 1: 20, No. 2: 5 (not all reps closing fully - not closing No. 2 yet)
Trainer: 20, No. 1: 12, No. 2: 5 (not all reps closing fully - not closing No. 2 yet)
Trainer: 20, No. 1: 12, No. 2: 5 (not all reps closing fully - not closing No. 2 yet)

Single Arm DB Upright Row
55 x 10
75 x 10
95 x 10 (straps)
95 x 15 (straps)

Not a bad little deload day. Deadlifts were nothing, but assistance felt good. Work today sucked so was glad to get a little more done in the gym than planned.

1 Like

mate if youā€™re dedicating a lot of time to those grippers get yourself those physio rubber bands things to train your finger extensors too or youā€™ll end up with little velociraptor hands

2 Likes

02/09/2017

Here is a little look at what Iā€™ve been doing now and plan to continue for awhile:

Upon Waking 6am
200mg Caffeine
1 Scoop 2:1:1 BCAA
20min LISS on Treadmill

Breakfast 6:45am
3 Whole Eggs
Handful of Spinach
Ground Beef OR Ham OR Chicken (whatever is leftover)
If not meat leftover in fridge I will add cheese to omelette. I have not been doing cheese AND meat to cut down on some cals.
OR
Protein Shake:
2 scoops of whey protein
Berries OR Banana and a Tbsp of Natural Peanut Butter

Supplements
Fish Oil
D3
B-Complex
Multi
Green Tea Extract
Circumin

I currently take all these because I bought a stack that was on clearance a while back so Iā€™m still burning through them. I wash this down with a nasty concoction of:
Sodium Bicarbonate, 1 scoop of greens and 1 tsp of Metamucil (this is disgusting)

Lunch 11:45am
At work I sip a 1L jug of water with apple cider vinegar mixed into it.
Meal Prepped Food
Chicken/Ground Beef/Fish (4-6oz)
Frozen Vegetables (~1cup)
Small serving of carbs: A few rice cakes, 1/4cup of rice, or a piece of fruit

Pre-Workout 4:30pm
1 scoop of protein and 1 scoop of dextrose
OR
1 scoop of protein in some oats
ā€¦basically some protein and some carbs. Is usually dependent on how much time I have before I need to train.

Intra-workout 5:30pm
1 scoop protein and 1 scoop dextrose
OR
1 scoop BCAAs

This usually depends on how intense I expect the session to be.

Post Workout/Dinner 7pm
Ground beef/ham/turkey/chicken/fish
Rice/pasta/bread/potatoes
Vegetables
6oz red wine
Supplements
Circumin (2nd Dose)
Fish Oil (2nd Dose)
Magnesium
Zinc
Vit C

Pre-bed
Iā€™ve been trying to minimize/eliminate pre-bed snacks.
I will have a greek yogurt or a scoop of protein if Iā€™m hungry, but not opening that fridge before I go to bed usually saves me 2-300cals.
Also my dinner ends up being close to 7pm and Iā€™m typically trying to get to bed around 9-9:30pm so Iā€™m not actually that hungry anyway.

2 Likes

Haha, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be doing them enough to get to that point. Plus, I canā€™t see how being stronger at opening my hand will have much carry over to strongmanā€¦Iā€™ve always wanted to be a velociraptorā€¦

1 Like

So I said to myself, ā€œHey his stats are pretty close to mine (212lbs @ 5ā€™10ā€ 27 years old) I should check out his log." Good lord was I off on ā€œstats being closeā€ for lifts haha great work, great numbers, great log.

3 Likes

Haha, thanks man! Just a matter of putting in the time both in the gym and nutritionally.
Oh and 5/3/1 rocks.

1 Like

just keep an eye on it, mate. Can get some pretty nasty wrist problems that way

2 Likes

Raptor hands, although beneficial to deadlift grip (like protracted shoulders act like a bench shirt), will eventually cause problems. See diagram below.

6 Likes

1 Like

Damn, alright, alright Iā€™m sold. Iā€™m going to buy a pack of these elastic things!

EDIT: Just noticed they are $15-20ā€¦I think I have a few of those elastic bands from bundles of broccoli and asparagus kicking around, Iā€™ll probably try those out first. Canā€™t bring myself to spending $15-20 on glorified rubber bands.

3 Likes

You can use a Wrist Roller, rolling ā€œbackwardsā€ to keep your wrists/hands feeling good too.

You could probably rig one up for nearly free.

2 Likes

02/09/2017

5/3/1 Deload Week

W/U: Lazy Lifter + Shoulders

Bench Press
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5

Chins (superset between bench sets and finger extensors)
10 x 8sets

Finger Extensors!
honestly, thanks for giving me the heads up about these so I donā€™t mess my wrists up more than they already are @Yogi1
Small White Elastic/Purple Elastic/Thick White Elastic
25/25/15
25/25/25
25/25/25
25/25/25

Pushups - barely any rest, as fast to 75reps as I could. Might time these going forward.
25, 15, 15, 12, 8

Decent little deload workout.

3 Likes

In case anyone is wondering what I mean by finger extensors:

3 Likes

I dunno man. This ā†‘ doesnā€™t look anything like this ā†“. Youā€™re such a tight ass! :joy:

6 Likes

Bahahah, I am such a tight ass! Plus we are currently trying to downsize our ā€˜thingsā€™ and this definitely would classify as one of those ā€˜thingsā€™ I probably donā€™t NEED.

3 Likes

02/10/2017

5/3/1 Deload Week
Day 4! Yay, last day of my deload week. Although this month is going to be significantly less taxing overall (only doing 4x 5/3/1 lifts per week instead of 6, and spread over 4 days rather than 3) Iā€™m looking forward to getting some weight moving again.

Squat
135 x 8
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5

Boring, easy, didnā€™t even put shoes or belt onā€¦just repped it out with minimal rest in between.

Bulgarian Split Squat - Bodyweight
10per leg x 5 sets

Wendlerā€™s Ab Superset
Situp with 25lb Plate Behind Head (feet anchored)

Holy smokes. I have done situps with the weight held out in front or up in the air, but not behind my head. These are going to unleash some new ab growth. I expect some abdominal DOMS tomorrow from just these.

Hanging Leg Raises
10, 10

These were tough following the situps.

Ab Wheel Rollouts from Knees
15, 15

Iā€™d be lying if I was saying I didnā€™t kind of cheat on these. I mean, I went through the motions, but I didnā€™t really focus on MMC with my abs. I did a lot of pulling with my lats to bring the wheel back.

DB Side Bends - 105lb DB
15, 15

Well, these were toughā€¦

So basically this entire superset kicked the shit out of my core. Iā€™ll be doing these more often.

EDIT: Also, side note. I ate my prepared lunch this morning at 10am, so by lunch time I was starving. I hit up Subway for a egg white and bacon sub on flatbread with all the fixinā€™s (all day breakfast on right now, and that sub is cheap). I donā€™t regret it at all. Although, I did skip my pre and post workout carbs as my glycogen stores are definitely full. Sippinā€™ a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon to unwind on this wild Friday night. Roads are shit so my peeps bailed on a euchre night tonight. Might get at it tomorrow night instead.

2 Likes

02/12/2017

Off Day today but decided I needed to do something, so I did a quick complex:
Cosgroveā€™s Evil 8 found here:

It was recommended I just use 95lbs for the workout, so I did:

95lbs - Doing round of 5 reps each, 90s rest, 4reps each 90s rest, etc:
Deadlift
RDL
Bent Over Row
Power Cleans
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

After getting to the round of 3 reps, 90s rest was wayy too long so I cut it down to 30-45s. Completed it in about 11mins and wasnā€™t tired so immediately started pyramiding back up 1-2-3-4-5.

Completed 5-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-5 rounds in 20mins on the dot. My back was pretty pumped up, but I was surprised my cardio didnā€™t even feel it. Better than nothing, but nothing spectacular.

This weekend I upped my cals a bit because I saw 205lbs on the scale this week which would have been like a 4.8lb drop in a week. So I relaxed my diet a bit this weekend. I am going to continue morning cardio going forward, so I will be able to afford a few extra calories. I want to end this week around 205lbs. I know a lot of this is still water weight fluctuation and Iā€™m not being consistent with my carb intake. Once I start trying to break the 200lb mark I will be getting a little more strict with my cals.

4 Likes

1st, TEAM NO CARDIO all the way :smiley:

And this is why cardio is really overrated, itā€™s only hard if you are not strong. Getting strong makes that complex little more than moving an empty broom handle for out of shape people.

But for ā€œCardioā€ I use complexes or circuits (like that one) because that is the most effective way for strong people to tax their cardio IMO.

2 Likes