Maple Syrup Strength (littlesleeper)

Haha I hear ya man! Pop-tarts and rice crispy squares were a go-to pre-workout snack for the last few months. Just trying to clean it up a tad and find my clean maintenance spot before coming into this cut in the new year. Trying to dial in my peri-workout nutrition…for the first time…ever.

1 Like

Honestly, this is not necessary.

What is your definition of clean? Because Dextrose is literally glucose which is literally sugar.

WMS is just pure carbohydrates derived from plants which I assume went through as many processes as your rice crispy treats and then one extra process to make the WMS be in powder form.

The most beneficial intra workout supplementation besides water would have to be electrolytes. Most of those drinks also have carbs.

2 Likes

Cooking PR right there

3 Likes

Dude, I rip it in the gym…hard. Sometimes too hard.

Nutrition is DEFINITELY a weakness of mine. I hear things, people tell me things, I read things, I form opinions, I haphazardly try things. I totally understand where you’re coming from. That scoop of dextrose significantly improves the taste of my intra-workout shake. So IMO I’m not wasting those 50g carbs/ 200 cals. Plus eliminating some other junk that comes with the usual treats. I’m going to give it a go, but my no means am saying this is ideal.

And 100% don’t let this post deter you from posting, I honestly appreciate the feedback. I want as much help, as many opinions, and as much feedback as possible as I can never reach where I want to be without the help from other, more experienced peeps.

2 Likes

12/10/2016
PHASE 1, WEEK 2, DAY 2

Bench
45 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 3
255 x 3
285 x 3 x 3 ← RPE 0, well not really but these were EZ

Seated Axle OHP - Dead stop each rep
135 x 10
135 x 8
135 x 10

Plate Lat Raise
25 x 10
25 x 8
25 x 12

BB Skull Crushers
95 x 10
95 x 10
125 x 10

Close Grip BW Pushups
10, 8, 20

Band Tricep Pushdowns
Blue x 10
Red + Blue x 8
Red + Blue x 10, Blue x 10, Red x 8 ← muscle failure reached.

1 Like

Oh if only I could say that. Nice!

Thanks man, my presses have really taken off recently. Was stuck below 350lbs on the bench for quite some time. Finally hit it in training, and might have had another 5-10lbs in me. Now these heavier triples are feeling like cake. I was stuck at 340-345 for the better part of 5 months…the persistence finally paid off!

1 Like

Man oh man do I have some catching up to do. I’ll get there, probably when you’re closing in on 450 lbs I’ll be around 350.

1 Like

So, it looks like I may be starting a night course beginning in February and running into mid June. This will consist of two evenings a week (Tues/Thurs - 6-10pm) and all day Saturday (8am-4pm). I will basically only be left with Mon/Wed/Friday/Sunday to train rather than my current 6 days a week program. I know I could probably force the hour workout in at some point (getting up at 5am, or after I get home at 10:30pm) but I think I would be sacrificing sleep/recovery too much.

I’m think this will push me back to doing 5/3/1 - 3 days/week program with an events/bonus day mixed in.

The course I’ll be taking is purely for continued education and to open up a potential new career path should I intend on pursuing it.

2 Likes

12/11/2016

PHASE 1, WEEK 1, DAY 7

Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 3
405 x 3
465 x 3 x 3

I tripped over one of my bars in my weight room at home. So I got mad and took about 45mins to rearrange/cleanup my entire weight room. It is now much less cluttered. I need some hardware to hang some bars and stuff from the wall to further tidy it up, but I think this is a much better arrangement now.

After that I hit a couple quick assistance lifts and called it a day:

DB Pullover
70 x 10
70 x 8
70 x 15

Chinups
10, 8, 8 hold at top with slow eccentric.

1 Like

12/13/2016
PHASE 1 Week 2 Day 1

Squaaats = High Bar Back Squats Unless Otherwise Specified
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
385 x 4reps x 3 sets ← Grooved nicely, happy with these sets

BB Hack Squat
225 x 10
225 x 8
225 x 7 (1.5rep hack squats for this set)
Quads-on-fire

Axle Curls
75 x 10
95 x 8
105 x 8

Hammer Curl
35 x 10
35 x 8
35 x 8 + 2 R/P

workout took ~45 mins. nothing to report other than I’ve been short on time lately, renovating the bathroom and work has been busy getting things finished up for year-end.

1 Like

These are literally one of these best exercises ever in my opinion. Fucking love them

2 Likes

I agree man. I sold my universal cable gym to make room for more free weights in my basement, so whenever I am prescribed leg extensions I do this exercise and love it. Absolutely hammers the quads, and really engages the entire body for a good sweat.

1 Like

Dude if you let me know what you’re looking for organizational wise, I build cabinets and sell garage organizing equipment. I might have something you could use that wouldn’t cost nearly as much as some fancy bar holder from roguefitness lol

1 Like

Haha, I’m a cheap S.O.B… I built a plate holder out of 2x4’s and wooden dowel and used it for awhile until I found a cheap used one online. I was just in the hardware store today looking for some hooks to fasten in the studs in my basement to hold my bars/farmers walk handles/attachments.
Unfortunately, organization is NOT my strong suit. I can’t visualize how I want my weight room. I rearrange it and then after trying it for a few weeks, discover what I don’t like and try a new setup. I’m on trial #4 right now.

Some hooks and a couple shelves would likely go a long way at this point just to get things off of the floor.

I will definitely keep you in mind though and I do appreciate the offer. I don’t know what shipping would cost to get something like that up here to the Great White North. :maple_leaf:

3 Likes

Pretty sure I can link non-fitness related sites. Right mods?
Check out (let me know if youd like the link again) and see if anything interests you, if you’d like. Shipping probably won’t be too steep, and getting stuff at cost should make up for it.

1 Like

Thanks! Are those the types of products that you make or are you directly associated with that company? Looks like some neat storage solutions, but I’ll have to explore more later when I have more time.

I work with/at the company, mainly on the cabinet side of things.

1 Like

12/14/2016
PHASE 1 WEEK 2 DAY 2

Bench
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 5
255 x 4
285 x 4reps x 3 sets ← Nothing too crazy here

DB Sandwich Press
35lb DB + 40lb DB x 10
35lb DB + 40lb DB x 10
35lb DB + 40lb DB x 12

Dive bombers/upper chest pushups/closegrip pushups
5/5/5
5/5/5
5/5/5

Standing DB Tricep Ext
70lb DB x 10
70lb DB x 10
70lb DB x 12

A very whatever workout. WARNING, INCOMING RANT: I had some errands to run after work, my wife was busy doing things this evening, I was looking after pets (walking, feeding, etc), making dinner…it was a workout that was low on the priority list tonight.

Sorry @MarkKO, but I might have to quit this 6 days /week BS. I just don’t have the time to pull it off right now. Becoming a little too stressful on life at the moment. I don’t mind working out a little longer if it is only 3-4days/week, but 6days a week right now is out of the question…I tried.

Going to go back to my love of 5/3/1. I was intrigued by the variation that @Frank_C posted in THIS thread and may do a bit of a spin off of it. I do like the principles of CT’s 6-8-10 and 10-8-6 for assistance, but the 5/3/1 and the 3 days per week suits my personal needs much more at this point in time.

Nothing to be sorry for @littlesleeper there’s no way in hell I’d train six days a week.

1 Like