Hey, Sales Guys and Gals

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:

Good advice for the most part though I wouldn’t personally waste time on Meyers Briggs or NLP (you are either someone that people warm to or you aren’t I don’t think listening for verbal ticks as to whether someone is visual or auditory works, NLP has failed every scientific test ever tried on it.)

On the time management side, coming in early is better than staying late, it is more productive and it reflect better to management. If you come in early you look like you are keen and working hard. If you stay late, you look like you are not managing your time correctly.

Always update your task list before you leave in the evening, then review it in the morning when you get to work. If you leave it till the morning to update your task list you will have forgotten things.

Block out time in your calendar for paperwork etc. If you don’t then other things will fill that time.

Don’t what ever you do check internet forums from work. They will eat your life![/quote]

I have come to realize these past few points so far.

A) I do not check forums

B) I know I get more done in the mornings

C) I found what I think is the most optimal time blocks in the best order, to manage my time during the day (e.g. Follow up with leads, paperwork, appointments, etc.).

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Not sure what your industry or product is, but can offer some general advice.

If you give us some more info about your product, commission structure (or do you have draw vs. commission?), CRM (client relationship management system), company structure (are you on a team, how are leads provided, are there structural differences in self generated leads, i.e. referrals vs. lead provided by your company, do you pay for your own marketing, etc…) The more info you give, the better advice you are likely to get. Sales is an extremely rewarding career if you take the time to build the necessary skills to succeed. It’s not easy starting out on commission so good luck.

I’ll give you a few things to think about below and if you give us some more details I can try to get more specific.

#1. Be an expert about what you are selling. Take the time to read EVERYTHING about it. Visit the factory if you can and learn how it is made. Know the product, the benefits and the ROI (return on investment) that the client is likely to experience. Sell the ROI.

#2. Begin each “transaction” with the referral in mind. Take time to develop rapport and build trust. Proactively create “referral spikes” (times in the sales process when you have EXCEEDED your client’s expectation). That is the time to ask for referrals.

#3. Invest in a CRM to track your leads, accounts, opportunities and post closing follow up activity. If you actually stay in touch with the people you’ve done business with and “nurture” the relationship, they will happily become your advocate and refer all kinds of business your way. I use salesforce.com as my CRM. It’s a little expensive, but you can download a free open source one such as SugarCRM at first. Track as many metrics as is applicable to accurately measure your progress and predict your income. This gives you data to measure your goals and milestones as well as projecting the prospecting activity you need to do to meet your goals.

#4. 93% of communication is not verbal. It is body language, facial expression, tonality and a hundred other non-verbal cues that we humans pick up on. Practice your pitch in front of a mirror and PREPARE. Amateurs “wing it”, professionals practice. Study NLP and the Meyers Briggs personality profile system. Know the difference between visual, auditory and kinesthetic communicators and adjust your language and communication style to “mirror” your client.

#5. There are many “sales systems” out there. Having a system is important so you can be sure that your customers get the same experience every time. There is no BEST system, but it would just be confusing to try and learn all of them at the same time. Chose ONE system, learn it and become proficient in it, before taking on another one. They are like tools in a toolbox.

#6. Don’t be afraid to walk away from a sale. If your product or service doesn’t meet your client’s needs, tell him. I’ll even go as far as recommending a competitor if it is obvious that’s what they need. This accomplished two things: you gain their respect and trust (making them more likely to refer business to you) and most importantly, lets you sleep at night.

#7. Save some money for the hard times. You WILL have a bad month every so often. Your bills WON’T go away. 'nuff said.

#8. Master time management. Your income is directly proportional to the activities you do. If you become more efficient at your activities, the money stays the same and your free time increases. If you don’t manage time well, you’ll be working 14 hour days. It will take a while to progress to the point where you can predict how many sales calls you need to make to close ‘X’ number of deals, to make ‘X’ number of dollars. That’s where having a CRM and being consistent about tracking everything comes in handy.

This list is getting longer than I intended. Let us know more about what I asked you at the beginning so I can give you better advice.

Good luck. [/quote]

Great advice and I appreciate the time you spent typing that up.

I am leasing apartments for a large property management company. Overall, we have 1800 units but currently about 45-65 units vacant at any given time. Two things make this job hard:

A) Management is hell bent on pricing the units WAY too high

B) The zipcode of the area is known as the “east side” of a really nice part of town, but we are the ONLY section of that “bad area” that is on the other side of the freeway, i.e. the “good” side.

I don’t have a CRM really. I just input appointments into Outlook - I have to setup a GMAIL account to sync with Exchange Server, because I love Google Calendar - and write up notes for each appointment.

I come from an IT background and was hoping to use an open source ticket tracking software so i can track all my leads and open files, along with updates on each.

I have seen Salesforce but have not really used it. I just don’t have the money at the moment to drop a lot of cash upfront on anything expensive. They won’t even give me a cell phone (I’m a contractor at the moment but have been told that they want me full time soon). Plus, the office’s paperwork SUCKS. We can’t even look up units on an online system.

If you came to me and asked for a 2 bed unit that’s over 800 sq ft and under $1,800 / mo., I’d have to take 15-20 min looking it up in this chart that lists vacant units and is printed every morning. Yes, I have to look at PAPER.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
So I just started a sales position a few weeks ago and am getting used to their ridiculous processes and paper work (and politics, yuck).

I’ve done sales before but never really had a pure sales role until now.

What are some tactics/strategies and tools you have used with success? I know there are universal sales mantras about follow up, coddling leads, etc., but was there something that you learned that you had no clue about, especially something that was eye opening?

I’m getting leads every 15-20 minutes but honestly, between having to show clients (my appointments) around and learning the inventory (I’m just 2 weeks into this place) it’s very overwhelming. I haven’t left the office before 8 pm and I’m there 6 days a week working 10-14 hour days.[/quote]

Smile and lie.

Sounds like this company may not be the best fit for you…

From a business perspective, they seem to be normal to me for them not “giving you a phone”- As a contractor and not an employee, I can understand why they would not give you a phone. I assume they are 1099ing you, right? Buy your own phone and write it off, if you need it to do your business. Don’t let that be a source of resentment for you - as a business owner, I certainly wouldn’t buy a contractor a phone (or give them health insurance benefits, for that matter - it’s just not part of the deal when you are a contractor).

It appears they are choosing to remain in a stone age infrastructure with very inefficient procedures - This is typical for most “amateur” organization that lack vision. The question you need to ask yourself is do you want to give your time and energy to an organization like that?

As for getting an open source ticket tracking software, that may be ideal for you, but not necessarily for the current employees and “company culture” that makes up the “ego-mass” of the organization. Remember - you are an employee. Be careful about asking for too much change at once. Your direct manager will feel VERY threatened if you come on board and start coming up with new cutting edge ideas that will make you look better than him. That’s not a good position to be in when you first start anywhere…

How long has this company been around? Are they just a “flash in the pan” knee jerk response to the collapse of California’s housing bubble? Are your co-workers a bunch of former Realtors that couldn’t make it?

Tell me more about the company…

You sound to me like you would be happier working for an organization that is more cutting edge or perhaps starting your own business.

If it’s something you see yourself sticking with, offer to develop and implement the software. Make a proposal and a budget and a time frame and blow their socks off. Go hard and try to knock it out of the park. You will make some enemies if you go that route, so be prepared.

Or you could just learn their system and suck it up. We all need a job. Don’t let your ego get in the way of your income, but don’t let your job compromise your happiness…

just my two cents.

Just keep up an honest and enthusiastic attitude and you’ll do fine, don’t treat the customer like a customer but like a buddy or normal person.