Hey Honey........

I have been putting honey into my post workout protien shakes now for about a week and I would really like to know if this will spike up my insulin level enough? any help would be great.
Thanks
DA

Honey isn’t particularly high GI (at least compared to glucose or maltodextrin). It’s also about 40% fructose, which gets used to replenish liver glycogen rather than the muscles… although the rest of it is a mix of glucose and other sugars. So you’ll get a moderate insulin spike and a moderate amount of carbs that can be used by your muscles.

IMO, if you are just using it for flavoring in addition to other carb sources, that’s OK. But if you are planning to use it as your main or only PWO carb source, you’d be better off just buying glucose/dextrose and/or maltodextrin. They can both be had cheaply ( < $1.50/pound ) and will do what needs to be done after a workout. Using honey just seems less effective and less cost-effective.

Nick

thanks for the reply…my main purpose is for post workout recovery, on a side note though it dose taste quite awsome with vanilla protien powder, a banana, and some no fat vanilla yogurt which also has a decent amount of sugar in it.
So I’m hoping between the honey and yogurt there is enough sugar.
any more info would be greatly appriciated.
DA

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but does anyone knows any site where I can find the ammount of the different types of sugars in foods like fruits ?

[quote]Rollus wrote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but does anyone knows any site where I can find the ammount of the different types of sugars in foods like fruits ?[/quote]

nutritiondata.com

Johny B on his site…suggested honey is ok…but it would be better for pre workout shake not a postworkout…stick with dextrose or maltodexrin post workout in my opinion.