T Nation

Hey Guys, I'm New and I Suck

Four years ago I realized that I too had the ability to build muscle. Two years ago I became more serious about it and tried to devour as much knowledge as I could. Now I realize that I haven’t been really serious about anything beyond research. I’ll be the first to admit that I am a skinny little twerp and judging from my height and weight most people would agree. I don’t eat enough.

However, my goal is to gain fifty pounds (of muscle) by the end of May 2010. I’ve already weighed twenty pounds more so I figure I can gain that back quickly. The main challenge would be to gain the extra thirty. Hopefully joining the tmuscle community will add accountability from like-minded people and enhance my knowledge and ideas about training nutrition and overall health. I will be honest though, and not to sell myself short, but I am not naturally built to be huge.

I have short muscle bellies, long tendons and I could easily take an internet description of “ectomorph” and use it for myself with no discrepancies. Even still I enjoy pumping the iron and hope to actually have something to show for it both athletically and aesthetically. So again it’s 50 pounds of muscle by the end of May starting now. I’ll put up exercise progress like Squat Dead lift and the like but save body weight until the end. I’ll do pictures too but not right away.

Since I am going into a Nutrition Fitness and Health major I should have access to numerous body fat calculators so I can track what kind of weight is being gained and whatnot. I’ve already had my metabolism tested and it’s pretty intense. Apparently, if I were to sit around all day and do nothing at all, NOTHING, then I’d burn 2405 calories that day. Just sitting. It’s a challenging but very simple enemy to beat and I hope I am successful. Anyways I guess that’s all. I hope I don’t fail at this and am excited to test my limits.

I thank you for your time and appreciate any comments you may have. When I do accomplish this then I will definitely not believe anyone who says they can’t put on weight. Think of me as that specific image of an ‘ectomorph’ you have in your head. That’s me! But now that scrawny twig will not snap. OH NO! I love you guys, I hope you’re all doing well and I really want this to be successful. We are all full of crap but at least I’ll be doing my business now and flushing the toilet like other people who actually get things done.
YES!

good luck PF. Just remember, bc of you high metabolism you are going to have to eat a ton and eat often. Just eat, lift consistently and progress every time you lift and you will do just fine. Welcome to the forums.

good luck bro. i was also that guy that didn’t gain muscle, i have short muscles bellies also. i thought i couldn’t gain muscle. i started gaining muscle when i started to consume lots of protein and got my lifting & nutrition regimen solid. some people will gain no matter what they do. others have to be a lot more advanced in their lifting and nutrition before they make progress. that’s what i believe.

most people suck at new things they do. That’s why their called Newbs. The goal is to suck less every time you train!! Now get to it!!!

Jaypierce said something really insightful the other day.

Smart cookie, that one.

Are your profile stats accurate? Do you want to weigh 195 with 6% BF by May? That’s going to be next to impossible. 195 with 15% BF would be very impressive indeed.

good luck PF, that’s a hell of a metabolism you got there mate. happy lifting!

Aint nothing to it but to do it

Keep at it and you will get the results you want. It will prob take you 2 years.

[quote]Otep wrote:

early on in my lifting career, I realized I had horrible muscle-building genetics. But you know who has good muscle-building genetics? Animals. Then I realized I could build muscle like they could by eating them

Smart cookie, that one.[/quote]

Brilliant!

[quote]elano wrote:
Otep wrote:

early on in my lifting career, I realized I had horrible muscle-building genetics. But you know who has good muscle-building genetics? Animals. Then I realized I could build muscle like they could by eating them

Smart cookie, that one.

Brilliant![/quote]

I also said that the carryover is very small, so you have to eat a LOT of animals to get a real effect out of it. Get to gnawing!

Oh… I put on +40lbs (+3%bf) in one year on the Eat All Animals and Lift diet. I’ll be damned impressed if you can put on 50 in six months.

Best of luck!

(Don’t put the fork down to reply. It’s ok, I understand.)

50 pounds of muscle can not be put on a body in 7 months man. Unless you’re using gear, be happy if you gain something closer to 20 pounds of actual muscle. I’ve been lifting for a year with a proper diet and routine and I’ve gained about 50.

[quote]Ritter wrote:
50 pounds of muscle can not be put on a body in 7 months man. Unless you’re using gear, be happy if you gain something closer to 20 pounds of actual muscle. I’ve been lifting for a year with a proper diet and routine and I’ve gained about 50.[/quote]

That’s not necessarily true. Hit a pubertal growth spurt while training and eating right and the results can be astounding. Seen it first hand. Not sure of the OP’s age, though.

Regardless, that would be no excuse not to try. If you’re really training, it’s pretty damned hard to eat enough healthy food to make you fat.

[quote]Ritter wrote:
50 pounds of muscle can not be put on a body in 7 months man. Unless you’re using gear, be happy if you gain something closer to 20 pounds of actual muscle. I’ve been lifting for a year with a proper diet and routine and I’ve gained about 50.[/quote]

LOL so you did it in a year but it CANNOT be done in 7 months? So your diet, exercise, and genetics are perfect for muscle building?

Although I do agree, it would be very, very impressive.

Did I write that it CANNOT be done? I don’t think so. I’m just trying to say it’s better to set realistic goals than set unrealistic goals and get discouraged and quit.

[quote]Ritter wrote:
50 pounds of muscle can not be put on a body in 7 months man. [/quote]

Yeah, ya did lol. I do see what you’re saying but I don’t see how telling him that his goals are impossible and to aim way lower is really helping.

what the mind can believe it can achieve.God bless

Sorry I was lightheaded and didn’t realize I actually did write that.
Best of luck to you OP